Hi-Fi Corner

mmhifiPosted: 19 August 2000Last Updated: 21 August 2000
Hi,I did full conversion from sucking digital to vinyl. I bought 2ndhand 1983 LP12/Valhalla/Ittok LVII. Yesterday my dealer made exellent job byinstalling Cirkus and new Klyde mc cart and did full table/cart retuning. As phono stage he installed new...
Phil SparksPosted: 21 August 2000Last Updated: 21 August 2000
My main source is vinyl (LP12 Aro,etc) but I've got a few CDs and a cheapo CD walkman. I know I really should get a CDX or CDS (1 or 2) but with only a handful of CDs I can't justfy more than a few hundred quid. Spotted a 2nd hand rega planet for...
Andrew RandlePosted: 17 August 2000Last Updated: 21 August 2000
Does anyone remember attending the Yorkshire Hi-Fi show in 1994 and seeing DBLs and SBLs with a shiny black lacquer finish?They were cool, but are they still available?AndrewAndrew Randle2B || !2B;4 ^ = ?;
Andy SPosted: 19 August 2000Last Updated: 20 August 2000
Well,Just come back from a friends house (loads of beer and lots of loud music). Managed to blow his speakers - a pair of Roksan Ojans. He has a CDX/82/hi/250/Ojan system. Now he has one less bass driver... (product of listening at 2:00 on the volume...
AndersPosted: 19 August 2000Last Updated: 20 August 2000
Hi,I have loaned a Naxo 2/4 in order to arrange a active/passive IBL "shootout" with 4x135s.The problem is that I have not a Naxo manual and have therefore a problem figuring the proper connections. I need some advice!The connections on the Naxo reads...
AndersPosted: 18 August 2000Last Updated: 19 August 2000
Hi,1. What would be a resonable price for a Naxo 2/4 (i.e. not Snaxo 2/4) with the new cosmetics and in very good condition?2. Have anyone tried them "untweaked", i.e. in their original settings for IBL/SBL, with Kan/Kan IIs? Do one need to adjust...
Phil BarryPosted: 17 August 2000Last Updated: 18 August 2000
I'm about to start experimenting with an MC cart - a Linn-rebuilt Karma, assuming the mail gets through. It will replace my Grado Sonata, which is no longer satisfying me, perhaps because of deteriorating hearing.One thing that has kept me away from...
Jonathan GorsePosted: 18 August 2000Last Updated: 18 August 2000
A stupid question but one which has been bugging me for a while:Where did the name 'naim audio' come from? - it doesn't seem to have anything to do with JV's name.I was thinking about it coming into work today - my mind wanders on a Friday y'see.Jonathan
Jonathan GorsePosted: 06 August 2000Last Updated: 18 August 2000
As many of you are aware I have been disatisfied with the quantity (not quality) of bass in my system for sometime. As a result I have borrowed some Dynaudio Contour 1.8's to compare with my existing SBL's and also an REL Storm III sub.Initial...
PPosted: 16 August 2000Last Updated: 18 August 2000
I have recently upgraded to Credos and also a 72-hicap-180 -naca5.At rest (?) - From 1/2 to full volume there is a discernible low level hiss from both speakers - can anyone tell me if this is normal ?Both my Hicap and 180 tend to buzz and at times...
John SchmidtPosted: 14 August 2000Last Updated: 18 August 2000
In the last days of the old forum, Dev Banerji started a thread about people's "audio biographies". I thought it was one of the more original threads there - a chance for people who've played with audio for a while to share their hits and disasters,...
Kevin HughesPosted: 31 July 2000Last Updated: 17 August 2000
I am not impressed with the new software (polite opinion ). This software is totaly round earth, looks nice but fails to do the basic job properly. Can we have an uncensored part please? What happens if you chose the "under 16" option? Tony & Mike, who did you sleep with to ge to full member (oh err etc..) status. Kevin. PS still no spell checker either, just pants.
Steve HallPosted: 06 August 2000Last Updated: 16 August 2000
I've been reading about the ol'hum issue and contemplating a slight system reshuffle. I have a Sound Organisation 5 shelf tower stand (z650?) and its loaded with (in shelf order):CD3.5FlatcapNAC102HiCap/NAPSCNAP180As you can see my 180 and the HiCap...
Chris MetcalfePosted: 10 August 2000Last Updated: 15 August 2000
Martin Colloms in HiFi News this month reviews a stand by Finite Elemente of Germany called the Pagode (HD, in this case). The interesting part is that he's used Mana as his primary supports for several years and feels that the Pagode stands(to precis...
JohnPosted: 14 August 2000Last Updated: 15 August 2000
My wife and children are going away on vacation for 3 weeks. I want to use this time to teak my setup. I currently have my system between my speakers in a cabinet primarily designed for CDs. My objectives are to move my equipment to the side of my...
Greg BeattyPosted: 14 August 2000Last Updated: 14 August 2000
OK, OK. I've got a 72/hi-cap/140 and a CD3. The new 5 series stuff is out and the 112 pre and 170 amp are right around the corner. And, of course, the 500, but that *cough* is not gonna be happening at my place anytime soon The issue is, if I upgrade...
Mick PPosted: 14 August 2000Last Updated: 14 August 2000
ChapsMy vinyl system is a Garrard 401 refurbished by Loricraft and mounted in their heavy duty plinth.I have a Rega RB 300 arm and a Dynavector 17D2 cartridge. I think the arm is the weak link in my set up.I am seeking to up grade up and intend to...
Steve ShochetPosted: 14 August 2000Last Updated: 14 August 2000
I have a new question about muddy base performance. I am pretty sure it is a function of the room etc, but here are the detail. I have CDX/82+flatcap(I know, I know, I need Hicap), 180, on a metal spiked rack with meadowlark Kestrals. In my old apt. I...
wal rileyPosted: 13 August 2000Last Updated: 14 August 2000
Just wondering how many of you out there have to agree with the missus just how long and how often you can play the Hi-fi per week? I'm bit of an awkward sod, in that I like to sit and wallow in it without any conversation intruding. Jules however,...
Steve ShochetPosted: 08 August 2000Last Updated: 13 August 2000
I am sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a link--I am bringing my system to my girlfriends apt, and she has nice hard-wood floors. She has made it clear that no spikes are to penetrate them. Any experience here? I have heard some use...
wal rileyPosted: 10 August 2000Last Updated: 13 August 2000
If you've read my system posting, then you'll know that I potter with the DIY aspect of audio as well. I can appreciate that the building, testing and finishing of a pair of speakers might be too time consuming for a lot of us who have spouses to...
Mike HansonPosted: 11 August 2000Last Updated: 12 August 2000
I ordered the latest interconnect to go between my CDX and 82. I was under the impression that it was black with a tinge of lavender. However, the cable that arrived was gray. It was lighter than my existing gray SNAIC5 at the office. (I've not been...
PaulPosted: 12 August 2000Last Updated: 12 August 2000
Could it be true ? A couple of weeks ago I had problems with the CD drawer on my 2 year old CDX. The drawer would not close fully. So I got on my hands and knees to see if there was something trapped inside. Low and behold, I could see a CD trapped...
Eric BarryPosted: 10 August 2000Last Updated: 11 August 2000
I was out of town and missed the last week or two of the old forum. Can anyone report on the sound quality of the new Nait5 and CD5 in comparison with the 3 series or better stuff?--Eric
Mick PPosted: 08 August 2000Last Updated: 11 August 2000
ChapsMy wife and I visited London yesterday to view the Tate Modern Museum. What a total waste of time. Lots of junk masquerading as art, bring back the old masters, thats what I say.Anyway, after wasting two hours in that dump and then treating...