Search

Re: S1 Running in, Ups and Downs!!

Chris Bell ·
Skinny Fraim rack in the first pic? Inquiring minds want to know!

Re: S1 Running in, Ups and Downs!!

Chris Bell ·
Congrats on the S1 purchase. I had a brief demo in Chicago last year... it was astonishing. The break-in process is a long one... My 552DR took 4 months to come on song and there were some days when it sounded terrible. Dark Bear helped me get though those days with his encouragement. It's worth the wait!

Re: Chord Music and Sarum T Hybrid

Chris Bell ·
You won't care what it looks like, it's a remarkable cable. I've used Sarum Tuned Array for several years and have demo'd all of the various incarnations... I thought Music was going to be a minor upgrade, it's in a whole different league.

Re: Chord Music and Sarum T Hybrid

Chris Bell ·
Hi Bryce, I can speak directly to this. Yes, you can absolute mix Chord Music and Sarum cables in a system. Definitely start with your source cable as it will have the biggest impact on the sound. Chord Music is very different sounding compared to Sarum. It uses a unique cable sourced from military radar systems (hence why it's so expensive). I'm currently using the DIN5 IC and DIN-XLR cables in my system. The sound is magical. I continue to use Sarum Tuned Array DIN4-5 and Ethernet cables...

Re: NDS is suppressed by CDS-2

Chris Bell ·
I've owned many Naim digital sources over the last 17 years: CD3,CD2,CDS1,CDS2,CDS3,CD555 & NDS. Each player from the CD3 on was an improvement in sound quality, the NDS offering the most tuneful, emotional and detailed sound out of the group. Everyone is welcome to their opinion, mine are based on the countless hours building, listening and evaluating. That's why I think the NDS is superior.

Chris Bell ·
I remember when I got my CDS3, it sounded terrible... took it to the dealer and they moved one internal cable a different direction (at the guidance of the factory) and the player sound quality improved dramatically. There's no doubt that streaming is fiddly and requires tweaks to sound best... but out of the box the NDS should perform far beyond the CDS2. The OP should get his dealer involved and address the issue head on.

Chris Bell ·
I replaced my CD555 with the NDS without regret, everything sounded better. I've improved my NDS over the last few years by adding a second 555 power supply, Chord Music IC, Chord Sarum TA Ethernet, linear power supplies for the U-Serve, NAS and switch. You're not the first NDS owner to complain about its performance vs CD and all I can suggest is you send it back to the factory for evaluation. Sounds like you have a solid set-up... your NDS should be producing the best sound, period.

Re: NAC552DR

Chris Bell ·
I'll add my voice to the chorus. My 552 is 15 years old and I had it recapped/DR'd earlier this year. It took a few months to break-in, but it was worth the wait. The 552 makes the most of every source, no matter the quality. There's a wonderful transparency to the sound that's always easy on the ears. It will give you new insight into recording you know well. Highly recommended.

Re: ProAc K6/K8

Chris Bell ·
BNN, Can you elaborate on the differences?

Re: ProAc K6/K8

Chris Bell ·
How's the dispersion on the ribbon tweeter? Ribbon speakers can have very narrow sweet spots.
Topic

ProAc K6/K8

Chris Bell ·
Listening the astonishing Tablet 10's, I'm curious to learn more about K6/K8 reference speakers from ProAc. Anybody own or heard them? If I could have the sound of the Tablet 10, only with more scale I'd be buyer for my main system.

Re: Tablette 10

Chris Bell ·
Glad you are liking them Graeme, astonishing sound from a tiny speaker. If you get a chance, listen to them with Super Lumina speaker cable. Even powering with my humble NAP100, the Super Lumina brought out the best of the Tablet 10's.

Re: Best three box Naim system

Chris Bell ·
Graeme, The 10's like to be up against the wall and a good set of sand-filled stands are highly recommended. They work best in a small room. They play pretty loud, but very deep bass notes can make the woofer bottom out. Can't wait to hear what you think! CB

Chris Bell ·
The Klipsch's were a summertime fling... ultimately they went back to the online retailer. The ProAc's are so impressive, everyone who has visited my office has been blown away. (Naim guys and mortals).

Chris Bell ·
I'm running a NDX/UnitiQute2/NAP100 into ProAc Tablet 10's at my office. Sound is very impressive... so good I could easily make it my main system.

Re: Chord Music in da House

Chris Bell ·
DIN to XLR Music cables were installed last night and the results are spectacular. More of everything the IC did, it's like the noise floor of the system has dropped considerably. My system has a "fat" easy-going sound with delicate and layered high frequencies. Everything sounds right without a hint of tension or edge. I had a nice conversation with Nigel at Chord and he explained some of the technical aspects of the cable and why they think it sounds so good. Remarkable stuff that truly...

Chris Bell ·
Parris Island is in South Carolina. I live in Washington State... other side of the country. :-)

Chris Bell ·
Here are my thoughts: Comparing two thoroughbred interconnects is much like comparing a Mercedes AMG GT to a Porsche 911 Turbo. Sure, both are engineered to perform to the limits, but any head-to-head comparison will reveal subtle differences. The same can be said for these two interconnects. The current standard is the Naim Super Lumina, designed primarily for the Statement system but works well in Classic reference systems as well. I was pretty much blown over when I compared the SL to the...
Topic

Chord Music in da House

Chris Bell ·
I'm been loaned a new Chord Music IC to try out. Initial impressions are very good, a strong competitor for the Naim SL IC. The Music cable is a big step up from the Sarum T which I thought was nice... maybe too nice. More thoughts as the cable runs-in.

Re: Office System update

Chris Bell ·
A friend kindly loaned me a 3.5m pair of SL cables. Sadly too short for the home system but perfect length for the humble office system. Result? Crazytown. There's so much detail and bass with the Super Lumina cables, even when the amp is the humble NAP100. Great synergy with the ProAc Tablets. This was my first time trying out SL cable and I can say it is worth the staggering price.

Re: Proac Tablette Anniversary vs nSat

Chris Bell ·
Have not heard the Anniversary's but the Tablet 10's are superb. As said by other members, you may want run them in more before returning. ProAc says 400 hours of run-in is required.

Chris Bell ·
I filled all five of the posts with sand. Started with the center column and after a few days of listening filled the remaining smaller posts. Bass improved nicely overall, still can't believe the performance of the ProAc Tablet 10's. In some ways they put my larger Titan's to shame. Makes me wonder how the larger three way ProAc's sound? Also put an AV Options cryo'd power cable (the basic one) on the Unitiquite. This opened up the sound nicely... need to order more for the NDX and NAP100.

Chris Bell ·
Thanks Nick.... I think I'll try NDX > S1 Preamp > Nap100 next. ;-)

Re: Loudspeakers?

Chris Bell ·
Just bought a pair of Tablet 10's... fantastic speaker for a small room.

Re: Naim Aro service options?

Chris Bell ·
I would not worry too much about your ARO... I've had mine for 15 years and never had a problem. Cymbiosis is a good source for parts should you ever need them.

Chris Bell ·
I did try the Nait 2... it was not as good as the Qute2+NAP100 combo. It's in desperate need of a recap...can't decide what to do with it?

Chris Bell ·
I did hear the Blumentein's. Let's just say I was not impressed with the speaker or his business practices. Caveat Emptor.

Chris Bell ·
That sounds like a great system... The few times I've heard the 272 I've been impressed. Perfect balance between streamer/preamp.
Topic

Office System update

Chris Bell ·
A few (major) changes since my last post. The Klipsch's are gone... they did some interesting things but were flawed and had to go back. The Unitiqute2 is now being used solely as a preamp being fed by a NDX/UnitiServe. Power comes from the delightful NAP100 and speakers are the amazing ProAc Tablet 10's. No speaker this small has any business making this much bass. It is remarkable how involving and dynamic the 10's are. Even a recording engineer buddy of mine was impressed and helped me...

Re: New speakers or 552?

Chris Bell ·
I listened to a pair of ProAc Tablet 10's in my NDS/552/500 system the other night and they sounded amazing. It was so good I thought I could actually live with them. This demo reminded me that what's upstream matters most. The 552 will provide the most significant upgrade to your system. Your KEF's are great and have more potential than you realize. Get the 552, add a few Super Lumina cables as funds allow. Then look into a pair of Kudos speakers.

Re: If the 552 DR is so good, why desire the Statement?

Chris Bell ·
I've had the chance to compare the 552 vs S1. The shop owner asked me bluntly, "Are you sure you want to do this....it's hard to go back". He was right, the S1 was in another world compared to the 552. It didn't take more than a few seconds of listening to hear the difference. With a significantly lowered noise floor, everything sounded more natural and real. It's a remarkable achievement. I only wish they'd build an Statement-integrated with a built-in streamer. I'd be first in line to buy...

Re: Less is More

Chris Bell ·
Skip, I plan to call Blumenstein this week and arrange a demo of the Triton's. I'm curious to hear them. I've often said that Naim's best products are their entry level components and (now) the Statement level components. The UnitiQute2 proves how good a simple one box solution can be when mated to right speaker. It is a tremendous achievement in engineering.

Chris Bell ·
The mighty Heresy III.

Chris Bell ·
Blumenstein's are made just down the road from me in West Seattle!
Topic

Less is More

Chris Bell ·
New office space has afforded me the opportunity to build a small system. I have a UnitiQute 2 on hand and wanted to find a speaker which could fill the room and keep my attention. I was planning on a pair of Tannoys or LS3/5A's but I decided to look beyond the "usual suspects". I had become smitten with the Klipsch Heritage series speakers and figured I would try them out. The Hersey III is a 3 way horn loaded speaker with a sealed 12" woofer. It's a 1940s design which has been mildly...

Re: NBL's Vs BRIK"s Opinions Please

Chris Bell ·
NBLs are merciless, but quite good if you have a top flight Naim system. I ran mine both active with 135s and a passive 500. Honestly, anything less and you will not like the sound.

Re: Core Values

Chris Bell ·
My UnitiServe went back in last night and did a round of listening, comparing the BNC vs Ethernet. Like the Core the difference was not subtle with the BNC connection providing much better resolution and emotional impact to the music. I also much prefer n-serve app experience in this mode. I think I'll buy a new DC1 cable and continue to experiment. I must give credit to the folks at ProMusica in Chicago. This has been their preferred connection for some time and now I understand the benefit.

Chris Bell ·
More witchcraft... it never ends. Naim could have solved this by incorporating a switch into the Core.

Chris Bell ·
My preference is the Naim DC-1 cable direct to the NDS. It is a far more musical experience, with greater resolution. There's an emotional impact to performances not present via ethernet. Oddly I prefer the DC-1 with the label-end on the NDS... technically backwards. Sadly, the user-interface in this configuration is a total disaster compared to the UPNP experience. Frankly I'd only use this for serious listening. Next experiment will be to replace the Core with my UnitiServe and repeat the...

Chris Bell ·
My goal (and the owner of this Core) is to eliminate all of the ethernet cables, power supplies and witchcraft by going with a direct connection to the NDS. It has always bothered me that streaming relies on so many unknowns. It is by far the most "tweaky" source in my hi-fi, having no less than 5 power supplies feeding the process. It makes my LP-12 look simple by comparison. Less has got to me more.

Chris Bell ·
I'm using very low noise linear power supplies on the U-Serve and Synology drive... the switch also has a small linear power supply running it.

Chris Bell ·
I'm using the Naim DC-1. Just got my Synology share to connect. Time to compare well known music.
Topic

Core Values

Chris Bell ·
Testing out the Core this weekend. This particular unit is loaded up with high-rez LP rips. I've been mostly interested in comparing the UPNP ethernet vs the BNC direct to the NDS digital 1 input. It turns out there really is no comparison... the BNC direct was much better. Need to do more listening but initial feelings are quite good.

Re: 272 lacking sparkle

Chris Bell ·
As you go up the Naim line the components become more sensitive to set-up. What might have sounded good with a SN2 or 172 may not work with higher-end Naim source/pre. Start by sorting out all your cables. Make your best effort to keep them from touching each other. Isolate cables from the floor and separate power cables from interconnects. Replace wall-wart switchmode power supplies with linear equivalents and if you're not using Fraim this might be a good time to invest. Make friends with...

Re: nServe Edit option gone

Chris Bell ·
Yes... can't figure out how to fix.

Chris Bell ·
Everything is in a SHARE.

Chris Bell ·
I looked around my CD library, which was entirely ripped using the UnitiServe, and none of my CDs have the edit feature. It's gone. I also checked the devices (third image) and selected CD library to ensure I'm looking at the correct file. TJ, was nServe recently updated without the edit feature?
Topic

nServe Edit option gone

Chris Bell ·
Anyone know why the edit feature disappeared from nServe app? There used to be an edit button on the right above the play button. Am I missing something?

Re: Getting more bass from IBL's

Chris Bell ·
I once ran IBL's active with two NAP500s. They make bass.

Re: IBL Piano Black

Chris Bell ·
Pics?