Search

Re: Turntable Dilemma

michael G ·
That cartridge is holding you back as is the phono pre-amp. I would describe both as "fine." Is "fine" worth your time? I'll just answer for you--no, it isn't. I think 300 records is more than enough to throw some cash at this. There really is no other way to do it other than to try it in your system and see if it appeals to you. I can't speak to the RP10/Apheta 2 that is getting so much love here, but I had the RP6/Exact 2 for a while and it was also just "fine." It collected a lot of dust.

Re: Which Cartridge next?

michael G ·
Had a DV 20X2L for a long while and thought it was liquid perfection. But honestly, it was the rest of the system too. That said, I think the DV20X2L is an easy to get along with cartridge for most systems. I had a $3K USD phono pre-amp at the time and it was a great match. I have moved on, out of curiosity mostly, I suppose, but the stars aligned in that system and that was the cartridge around which the rest of the system orbited. I heard other cartridges at that price level and while the...

Re: The Great Ethernet Showdown

michael G ·
After convincing myself the Shawline ethernet was overdoing it for my needs, I have some C-stream on the way, so I'm looking forward to hearing others' impressions.

Re: Question of the year !!

michael G ·
I agree this "question" is hard to decipher. To the extent I understand it, I have to say that there are trade offs in every piece of equipment. I have a lot of experience with the SN2 and I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think it's the right amplifier for every system and taste. I fell in love with the XS-2 (60 wpc) when it first came out in, I believe, 2009. I ended up keeping it for over four years until the SN2 came out. While I was very impressed with how dynamic, quiet, and...

Re: XS 2 - Help!

michael G ·
If it's a 2010 production, I'd bet money it's an XS-2. The 60 wpc XS-2 never had "XS-2" on the rear panel.

Re: ANy expeirence with Chord Shawline or Clearway?

michael G ·
I recently switched to Shawline interconnects and speaker cable and really like them. Fast sounding and lots of low end definition. I'm using the prior-gen XS2 with a pair of Focal Micro Utopia BE.