New car

Posted by: Fabio 1 on 11 December 2018

Hi all,I've just ordered this last week,it is an Opel Mokka X 4x4 1.6 cdti 136 hp in pearly white with black rims.Very,very good sensation after the driving test.I have purchased my new NAC 282 and my new Sony ILCE /RM3 this year,so Audi can wait...Any thoughts?image.gen

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Coincidence as I am collecting this tomorrow from new (BMW i3 120Ah). Mrs W's new motor,

Looks vaguely similar, but a very different concept.

The Mokka seems very popular, I see a lot around. Must admit I am not sold on the mini-SUV thing. They seem to have far less space than other cars of similar footprint. I didn't know they actually did 4WD in that model. Does it mean a diff in the rear that eats a bit of the boot?

Have fun!

Bruce

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Fabio 1

We have no children so the room is way enough.As for 4WD,a control unit decides wether or not give traction to the rear axle if the front one has problems on,say,show,mud etc

Mrs's W new car seems to be very nice!

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

Looks nice design is quite good when considering Opel's history as a brand...

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by winkyincanada
Fabio 1 posted:

Hi all,I've just ordered this last week,it is an Opel Mokka X 4x4 1.6 cdti 136 hp in pearly white with black rims.Very,very good sensation after the driving test.I have purchased my new NAC 282 and my new Sony ILCE /RM3 this year,so Audi can wait...Any thoughts?image.gen

Not electric? Meh.

Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Coincidence as I am collecting this tomorrow from new (BMW i3 120Ah). Mrs W's new motor,

The Mokka seems very popular, I see a lot around. Must admit I am not sold on the mini-SUV thing. They seem to have far less space than other cars of similar footprint. I didn't know they actually did 4WD in that model. Does it mean a diff in the rear that eats a bit of the boot?

Have fun!

Bruce

Those things are becoming very common around here.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Buying a diesel is a really great idea. You can get a lovely warm feeling from knowing that the particulates are causing asthma and other respiratory diseases, and it’s always good to kill off old people early to save the NHS money. It’s also great to drive around in something that looks like a child’s toy. 

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by MDS
hungryhalibut posted:

Buying a diesel is a really great idea. You can get a lovely warm feeling from knowing that the particulates are causing asthma and other respiratory diseases, and it’s always good to kill off old people early to save the NHS money. It’s also great to drive around in something that looks like a child’s toy. 

A bit uncharitable, HH. A new diesel will comply with EU6 emission standards, which are pretty good, and Fabio may well be replacing a more polluting car.    

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by JamieWednesday
winkyincanada posted:
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Have fun!

Bruce

A friend of ours had one, extolling the virtues of advanced tech., efficiency, being clean and green and how the range wasn’t a problem at all.

He managed 8 months before replacing with an Alfa Quadrifoglio.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by ursus262
hungryhalibut posted:

Pithy or what?!

MDS posted:
hungryhalibut posted:

A bit uncharitable, HH. A new diesel will comply with EU6 emission standards, which are pretty good, and Fabio may well be replacing a more polluting car.    

It’s not uncharitable at all. Despite the emission standards, diesels still chuck out all kinds of shit. Nearly all of them fail the EU6 standard in real world driving conditions, I’m amazed anyone with an ounce of consideration would buy one if there was an alternative, unless they were buying a lorry of a tractor. These silly little puffed up hatchbacks are just ridiculous. What’s wrong with a normal car?

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Mulberry
hungryhalibut posted:.    

[…] These silly little puffed up hatchbacks are just ridiculous. What’s wrong with a normal car?

As much as I am puzzled by the number of SUV and SUV-like cars, I keep asking myself if I don’t like them because I can’t see a reason to have such a thing in the city or simply because they are different.

Where we live, everybody seems to buy them once they hit 70. They all say it’s too much effort to get out of a normal car. They could do with the exercise if you ask me. 

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Tony2011
hungryhalibut posted:

Where we live, everybody seems to buy them once they hit 70. They all say it’s too much effort to get out of a normal car. They could do with the exercise if you ask me. 

Oh, that's gonna come back and bite in the arse, I mean tail, Nigel.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Don Atkinson
Fabio 1 posted:

A better choice IMHO than Bruce's choice. Sorry Bruce.

One of my work mates bought a Mokka recently. He loves it and finds it useful on the grass/muddy parts of the airfield.

The BMW i3 that we have as one of the company cars, isn't anyone's favourite. Nobody likes the rear door arrangement and the range, even with the range extender that came with it, is very limitting.

To be fair, neither would be my choice, but of the two, the Mokka is far more versatile.

JamieWednesday posted:
winkyincanada posted:
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Have fun!

Bruce

A friend of ours had one, extolling the virtues of advanced tech., efficiency, being clean and green and how the range wasn’t a problem at all.

He managed 8 months before replacing with an Alfa Quadrifoglio.

Yeah, I don't actually think they're very good, either. Just saying they're common.

Once the benefits of electric cars are better understood, farty-cars like the Mokka will rapidly go the way of the dinosaurs. That the BMW i3 is actually a pretty poor/limiting example of a modern electric car doesn't change that.

If we already all had electric cars, could you actually SELL a ICE vehicle? At the dealers.....

"Why is it so slow off the mark?"

"Why is it so noisy? What's all that vibration?"

"Why does it keep running when I stop?"

"Servicing costs HOW much? How often do I need to that? Oil change? What's that?"

"Why do the brake pads wear out so fast? It doesn't have re-gen braking!?"

"What do you mean I can't just refuel it at home? You expect me to stop at a special station to pump expensive toxic liquids into it? No thanks."

"What do you mean that my kids have to sit on top of a tank of flammable liquid? Does it ever explode in a crash?"

"What is that pipe at the back? What's coming out of it? Is it toxic?"

"These things do WHAT to the environment?"

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Guinnless
hungryhalibut posted:

Yes, even new Diesels blow out smoke. Don't get stuck behind one during the DPF regeneration????

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Dady

To clear my conscience as a diesel owner, I would need to know that the electricity provided was generated without pollution, only possible with wind and sun. To date, electric cars are far too limiting and expensive. Times will change, but a lot more work on the infrastructure required before I'll get excited.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Guinnless
Dady posted:

To clear my conscience as a diesel owner, I would need to know that the electricity provided was generated without pollution, only possible with wind and sun. To date, electric cars are far too limiting and expensive. Times will change, but a lot more work on the infrastructure required before I'll get excited.

The manufacture of a car uses a huge amount of energy before it even turns a wheel.  I don't think the factories have a wind farm or solar panels on site.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Tony2011
Dady posted:

Why should you clear your conscience? What are you guilty of ? Not long ago we were told it was safe and economical to buy and drive diesel cars. We have all these people trying to preach us on what's is right and wrong and, right now, they are holding a forum in Poland  which happens to be more poluting  than Beijing. Give me a fyvking break, fhsshking hypocrites! Sort your own shit out and then you can try and patronise me!

Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Dady posted:

Farty-cars must always burn fossil fuels to move. Electric cars at can use renewable or at least low-carbon electricity. Here in BC, our electricity mix is mostly hydro-electric. The "incremental" kwh is likely to be gas-sourced. Even with coal as the source of your electricity, EVs have lower GHG emissions than farty cars. With low-carbon electricity, such as gas, nuclear or renewables, it's not even close.

With ranges in excess of 400km, electric vehicles would not limit our lifestyle due to infrastructure at all. But yes, they're still relatively expensive. The only car that could satisfy the requirement we have in terms of capacity is perhaps a Model X (we currently have a mini-van), and they're very expensive. But battery prices are falling rapidly, and parity with farty-cars will be achieved in 2020 for even lower-end EVs.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by JamieWednesday
Tony2011 posted:
Dady posted:

Why should you clear your conscience? What are you guilty of ? Not long ago we were told it was safe and economical to buy and drive diesel cars. We have all these people trying to preach us on what's is right and wrong and, right now, they are holding a forum in Poland  which happens to be more poluting  than Beijing. Give me a fyvking break, fhsshking hypocrites! Sort your own shit out and then you can try and patronise me!

Yeah, I don’t buy that.

Back in the ‘90’s there were a lot of reports out there about the particulates chucked out by diesels and the increased cancer risk. Frankly you only had to be behind one on the road to see, smell and taste the issue.

It was so obvious to me that diesels were the greater of two evils I refused to ever have one. It made be so angry when  petrol car ownership got stitched up financially in the name of a greener policy, which was clearly flawed at best and more likely a cynical tax grab.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Rich 1

Just bought a Skoda Superb estate, it's big enough to get a whole stack of Naim, a frame and a couple of old Linn Kans. It'll mean more room in my living room! It'll be the 'car that rocks'. Rich