Naim App - Apple v Android

Posted by: Richieo on 05 January 2019

I am currently running the Naim app on my Iphone. 

I am going to buy a tablet to run the app going forwards and am looking at an Ipad or a Samsung device.

I had assumed the app would be the same on either tablet but I have seen some bad reviews of the Android app.  Is there any difference between the two apps (i.e Android or Apple)?

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Pcd

I’ve used both the IOS is better I wouldn’t go back too the Android app myself.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Mike-B

We had a the same question a few days ago,  my reply post said     ...............    I use both an Apple tablet & an Android phone & advise to go for an Apple (iOS) tablet simply because at the moment the Naim iOS app works better than the Naim Android app.   There should be nothing to choose between them,  but it's the way it is today.    

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Bart

Absolutely 10000% choose iOS at this time for running the Naim App.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by dknk

I really don't get what people are doing or how good or poor their home network works (I suspect there are issues). The Android app works without any problems for me.  Of course, my home network is quite robust, likely related to having spent years as a system admin. Be wary of the "excitables" and try each one out if you can. I did, and didn't see the fabulous, amazing, experience some do with the Apple system. Balance, people, balance.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Mike-B

DKNK,  its nothing to do with network for me,  mine's rock solid.  The Android app works OK most of the time,  occasional hesitation & hints of clunky.   The iOS works perfectly all the time.    I also get to read all the beta test threads,  although I only work on iOS.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Adam Zielinski

If you already have an iPhone, buying an iPad is a logical step. It simplifies the whole set-up.
As to the functionalities - my esteemed coleagues have already covered that.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by ChrisSU

Opinions of the Android app seem to vary depending on what device you run it on, which is perhaps not surprising given the different hardware involved. Obviously this is not an issue with iOS devices all being Apple. Also, the Naim app was developed for iOS, and only a few years later, ported to Android, which may account for some of its issues. 

My own experience with Android was pretty good as it happens, but the safe bet is to stick with iOS. 

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Bart
dknk posted:

I really don't get what people are doing or how good or poor their home network works (I suspect there are issues). The Android app works without any problems for me.  Of course, my home network is quite robust, likely related to having spent years as a system admin. Be wary of the "excitables" and try each one out if you can. I did, and didn't see the fabulous, amazing, experience some do with the Apple system. Balance, people, balance.

The problem is not the user's network (typically), it's that there are a wide variety of Android versions floating around, and (not technical language here) there can be variations in exactly how it (whatever version "it" is) runs on any given device from any given manufacturer.

There is much less variation in iOS hardware and versions.

Net-net, many fewer problems are reported on iOS devices than Android devices.  The empirical evidence points to iOS being the right choice for those who have a choice.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by dknk

Yes, I agree there are numerous android devices leading to various outcomes. So the lesson is, invest in a decent network setup and a decent android device. If you do, you'll be a happy camper with the Naim Android app.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Mike-B

Another consideration is that the iOS system is only used by Apple on Apple devises - i.e. Apple software on Apple hardware.  Whereas Android is used by numbers of brands & each brands hardware is different,  I wonder if the software has variations to accommodate this.        

I know that any change in the iOS app has to be checked & verified by Apple before release,  but I'm not so sure how that happens with Android;  how do Google verify the app & software with all the different hardware  ???  

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Pev

I am totally happy with my Android app running on a Lenovo tablet costing less than £100. If you want to spend lots more on a device that doesn't accept most connectors and and can't have it's storage expanded with SD cards, go ahead.

I had to use an iPad for 3 months for work and was not impressed - certainly wouldn't consider it as straight swap.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Brian H

I have and try to use both. The Android is a Sumsang Galaxy J3, cheap and nasty, iOS iPad and iPhone.

I try the Android from time to time to give it a chance in case they have got it right but iOS works 100% A1.

Question yourself why do I want android?

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by David Stewart

I use the android app on Samsung S2 tablet and A3 phone without any significant problems. If you currently use other IOS devices it probably makes sense to stick with Apple for the Naim app. If you currently use Android, try that first before investing in any costly Apple jewellery. If you can try both go with the one that works best for you. You can't always directly translate other people's experience to your own situation as pointed out elsewhere. 

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Rich 1

We have both at home and generally use iPad, however if that's in use then we use the android. Purely for ease of use the iPad trumps android but that's not to say that android is unusable. Rich. 

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Steve E

Hi, I was using android app for my atom,having nothing but trouble,so just used the the OIS app,and is so much better.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Felix Montgomery
dknk posted:

Network quality aside - the Android app is a clunky cousin to the iOS app, I am no fan boy of Apple BTW and use both...but the android app often needs to be cleared from running memory and re-launched before it will figure out what it's meant to be doing or showing - and that behaviour is not unique to a particular android device (several phones, Lenovo tablet, etc). The iOS version just seems to work damn near 100% of the time.

One should not be required to have sysadmin experience to have a robust app experience... ;-)