lp quality on bandcamp

Posted by: French Rooster on 06 January 2019

Hello everybody, specially those who buy some music on Bandcamp.

For now i have downloaded some albums on 16/44 or higher , on bandcamp, like Ese, yussef kamaal, resolution 88, alfa mist, terry callier...

I wonder how sound the lp version of these albums.  Like cds or more like an analogue lp?    better or same vs the digital version?    thanks to share.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Bruce Woodhouse

Can you clarify?

Are you asking if the high res versions sound better than the CD standard res downloads, or whether physical vinyl or CD copies are better sounding than downloads?

Bruce

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by French Rooster
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Can you clarify?

Are you asking if the high res versions sound better than the CD standard res downloads, or whether physical vinyl or CD copies are better sounding than downloads?

Bruce

i wonder if physical lps are sounding the same as downloads or more analogue like.   I am interested because Bandcamp offer the  choices of lps, cds, or downloads, but i don’t know how the lp version can sound.

I'm not sure anyone can answer that. Different recordings, different replay methods etc. I don't think you can make any general statement.

Bruce

Bruce Woodhouse posted:

I'm not sure anyone can answer that. Different recordings, different replay methods etc. I don't think you can make any general statement.

Bruce

thanks Bruce.   I don’t wait for a general statement however.  Just some shares by people who could have compared same albums on lp vs download,  via bandcamp.

Most modern lps come from digital transfer, so the sound is often nearly the same on cd vs lp, for the same album.

But i am curious of the quality of the bandcamp lps, i have never listened to one.   I will try someday...

It is just a distribution/marketing site. Surely there is no such things as a 'Bandcamp LP'?

Bruce

for every albums they propose an lp version.  So i guess it is done in the same factory...But effectively i don’t know really.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

I think Bandcamp is a mixed bag from a quality standpoint. Sometimes highly audiophile products made with love and often in a professional matter. But also a lot of stuff on bootleg kind of quality. However the existence of high resolution versions of the products are quite often a good indication for the sound quality as well. Very often the music is also gathered under a label, and label has a certain quality standard which reflects accross the catologue. So the maximum security you can get is recommendations from other forum members on what’s good. I would sound wise recommend the Vestbro Trio f.i. 

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by notnaim man

My experience buying vinyl through Bandcamp, three LPs, three labels. I don't have the CDs and do not stream, so cannot compare.

The latest, Bagpuss, is on Earth Recordings, but the listing on The Vinyl Factory, suggests they are the source? Given that the original recording dates from 1974 suggests analogue?

Bert Schurink posted:

I think Bandcamp is a mixed bag from a quality standpoint. Sometimes highly audiophile products made with love and often in a professional matter. But also a lot of stuff on bootleg kind of quality. However the existence of high resolution versions of the products are quite often a good indication for the sound quality as well. Very often the music is also gathered under a label, and label has a certain quality standard which reflects accross the catologue. So the maximum security you can get is recommendations from other forum members on what’s good. I would sound wise recommend the Vestbro Trio f.i. 

thanks Bert, i will see and listen that.    For now i am very satisfied with this site, the discovery of it thanks to the forum, and the sound quality is globally very good.  Some rare exceptions...

I am curious to discover how good quality hirez albums can sound on vinyl.  I will report.

notnaim man posted:

My experience buying vinyl through Bandcamp, three LPs, three labels. I don't have the CDs and do not stream, so cannot compare.

The latest, Bagpuss, is on Earth Recordings, but the listing on The Vinyl Factory, suggests they are the source? Given that the original recording dates from 1974 suggests analogue?

it should be.    For lps in the analogue era, specially 70’s jazz or soul/ funk, i buy on discogs.  Fantastic site, with all the references, quality of the media and cover, date of production....It’s a must.     Original lps sound very often the best, and you can find mint pressings.