Can't find Download Folder on my HDX

Posted by: stephen70 on 14 January 2019

Hi everyone,

I've just got a second Hand HDX 2TB (SW V, 17b) from an authorised Naim dealer. The other day, I tried to copy my HighRes-Downloads from my computer-HDD to the internal storage of the HDX, but I could't find the downloads-folder. The HDX is displyed in my windows explorer (Win10) (under "my computer"), but it only shows the folders "All music", "Browse by device" and "CD collection", no "Music"-folder or "downloads" folder (as described in the reference manual).

And there's another thing: when I rip a CD, the engine searches the AMG-database for a considerable time - without any results. I thought, a new database had been introduced with one of the recent SW-updates?

Thanks for your help,

best

Stephan

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by garyi

Hi You have linked to it via 'upnp' you need to link to it via SIFS/SMB

Now unfortunately windows has updated it policy on the protocal meaning that any shares must have a user name and password, which the naim share does not. That means you are now in the hands of naim to update the software...

In the mean time there is thread lower down with instructions on how to enable SMB 1.1 on windows to be able to see the share properly. You need to look on the front panel of HDX to determine its IP address. Once you have done the fix for SMB you might find it just appears under network in windows, if not you need to manually link to it which I can describe. But do the fix first

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by ChrisSU

If you look in ‘browse by device’ do you see 2 folders, Music and Downloads?

The AMG lookup is one of several online services that the HDX uses to retrieve metadata, but it no longer exists, so there can be a delay while it tries before moving on to the next search. There is a firmware update in the pipeline to connect this. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by mattl

I haven't done the SMB 'fix' that Gary mentions but on my Win10 laptop I just press the Windows Key and R together to open the 'Run' dialog box and then type 

\\192.168.1.7\Downloads

which then opens up the Downloads folder in Windows File Explorer. Obviously you'll need to replace 192.168.1.7 in the above with the IP address that your HDX is using.

ChrisSU posted:

The AMG lookup is one of several online services that the HDX uses to retrieve metadata, but it no longer exists, so there can be a delay while it tries before moving on to the next search. There is a firmware update in the pipeline to connect this. 

correct!

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by stephen70

Thanks to all! The SMB was the problem, so I changed the win-protocol in "change/deactivate features". Thus, but only by the shortcut provided by MATTL I can now load data onto the Downloads share (which is still not visible in the explorer...)

Let's see if it works! Thanks again,

Stephan

Now...

I found a download folder, I could load music files... but I can't find them in the player (or in n-serve).

What is more, the desktop client doesn't show a download share either..

stephen70 posted:

Now...

I found a download folder, I could load music files... but I can't find them in the player (or in n-serve).

What is more, the desktop client doesn't show a download share either..

Changes can be slow to appear. A restart and/or rescan of the HDX might help to speed things up a bit. 

ChrisSU posted:

T

No, still empty.

stephen70 posted:
ChrisSU posted:

T

No, still empty.

That’s odd, as it should be visible even if it’s empty. Maybe worth talking to your dealer, perhaps he updated the formware before selling it, but that doesn’t sound right to me. 

As a workaround, you can make the drive on your computer into a network share, then the HDX should be able to find and play the files without moving them to its internal hard drive. 

Can I just re-do the last SW-updates?

Or will it cause diaster?

I don’t think it would be a problem, but you need to burn it to a disc (your dealer or Naim support may have one you could use) and run this in the HDX. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by garyi

Are the hidef files well tagged and they arnt like DNF files are they?

• I added SMB 1.1 (see above)
  • I upgraded the HDX once again
  • removed it from my network and added it again --> I could see "Music" and "Downloads" (YEAH)
  • I created a new share in the HDX (it wouldn't find it automatically)
  • And
  • IT WORKS!

Thanks to all for your help, you have saved me from returning a bargain to the dealer.

Good to hear you’re sorted - enjoy the HDX.