What DVD have you just watched?

Posted by: u5227470736789439 on 27 November 2005

Just about to watch the secong half of 'The Odessa File.'

All the best from Fredrik
Posted on: 14 December 2005 by Quasimodoh!
The Manchurian Candidate, (Denzel Washington remake). I really liked it, and as several people have told me that the original is better I've added that to the wish list.
Posted on: 14 December 2005 by rackkit
quote:
Originally posted by Quasimodoh!:
The Manchurian Candidate, (Denzel Washington remake). I really liked it, and as several people have told me that the original is better I've added that to the wish list.

Unless you've seen it already, you should put 'Man On Fire' on your list if you like Denzil Washington.
Posted on: 15 December 2005 by Chris Kelly
Spookily "Growing Up Live" by Peter Gabriel, same as Phil Cork. First saw the DVD at a Naim evening at PJHiFi in Guildford in March and bought my own copy thereafter.
I'm taking the audio out from Panasonic LCD tv to Input 6 (configured to accept phono inputs instead of DIN) on my 282 and it sounds really excellent. I use the same set up for watching regular tv. The two channel sound is really excellent.
Posted on: 15 December 2005 by starbuck
Have just finished re-watching 'Sideways'. Absolutely fantastic film, and am using it as the inspiration (or excuse, depending upon how you look at it) for cracking open a nice bottle of red wine. Lovely.
Posted on: 15 December 2005 by Phil Cork
Chris,

I bought Growing up Live having read on here somewhere that someone (you?) had seen it at a Naim evening, so I guess it's not so spooky!

I'm always on the lookout for 'well-recorded' CDs/DVDs, as my CDX/XPS 102/Hi 180 seems to sound quite 'ragged' with less well recorded media Frown

Phil
Posted on: 16 December 2005 by tonym
Watched War of the Worlds; a fair to middling film but an absolutely awesome dts soundtrack!

If you like something pretty horrific, try "The Descent". Nasty!
Posted on: 16 December 2005 by Chris Kelly
Phil
I do recall that I said that now!Glad you like the DVD anyhow!

Was watching "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" with Joe Cocker this morning but got interrupted and will see the rest later. Some very good concert stuff and interesting behind the scenes footage. A miracle that the tour happened at all! The concert uses the Woodstock-inspired split screen but is very watchable.
Posted on: 17 December 2005 by Tam
Siegfried from the Met/Levine ring cycle, a considerable step up on Walkure, just a shame Brunhilde cannot act to save her life.

Later on I shall probably watch some West Wing to remember the wonderful John Spencer who died yesterday:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4536990.stm

regards, Tam
Posted on: 17 December 2005 by iiyama
Serenity, Film of the superb Firefly series which was cancelled after 14 episodes!

Best ScFi Film in years!
Posted on: 17 December 2005 by Allan Probin
Serenity is on my bookshelf waiting to be watched. Along with Crash, War of the Worlds, Batman Begins and a pile of perenial favourites all to be watched in the movie fest that is known as the Christmas holidays.

Allan
Posted on: 17 December 2005 by Tam
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama:
Serenity, Film of the superb Firefly series which was cancelled after 14 episodes!

How - according to amazon it isn't out until February?

regards, Tam
Ordered mine from PlayUSA.com and it arrived Wednesday this week.

Allan
Posted on: 17 December 2005 by Nime
Fantastic 4. (Hired)

The triumph of special effects over a weak story and easily forgettable cast. (I'm usually quite forgiving)
Posted on: 17 December 2005 by Adam Meredith
"As Good as it Gets" - which was a relief after the dreadful "About Schmidt".
"Infernal Affairs" - not quite what I was expecting and very good despite that.
And, if I had not just dropped another £80 at Fopp, tonight's treat was to have been "Lawrence of Arabia".
quote:
tonight's treat was to have been "Lawrence of Arabia".

I could lend you my copy, how about a 552 as security? Oh, keep the disk as long as you like BTW.

Allan
Posted on: 18 December 2005 by BigH47
quote:
Film of the superb Firefly series which was cancelled after 14 episodes!

Rubbish cowboys in Space. Only watched the 2 1/2 episodes. Wooden acting could have been Thunderbirds(puppets).Failed my main test if they were all killed how would I feel. Answer relieved.
Thankfully I only borrowed it.

Howard
Posted on: 18 December 2005 by Huwge
Dog Soldiers - Zulu with werewolves Eek

Posted on: 18 December 2005 by Steve2701
'Hitch'
For those that know me, well, it simply had to be done. Done? I gave up after the first 10 minutes, and it's now in the post on its way back to Amazon.
Posted on: 18 December 2005 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by Allan Probin:
quote:
tonight's treat was to have been "Lawrence of Arabia".

I could lend you my copy, how about a 552 as security? Oh, keep the disk as long as you like BTW.
Allan

Sadly, we are in the same boat - DVD of L of A and no 552.

I have just (re) watched LoA and found it spectacularly unconvincing.
Peter O'Toole spends the film looking petulant, pretty and effete.
The film seems bent on exposing the complexities of the man and situation but ends up doing a disservice to both. If it was intended to celebrate Lawrence it could hardly have done worse if he had been played by John Inman.

To the future – the DVD goes back to Blockbusters, a small explosion, the breaching of the research department outer perimeter and a 552 joins me for Christmas. It will be a good 2006.
Posted on: 18 December 2005 by Mr Underhill
Adam,

COMPLETELY disagree with you here!

LoA is probably the one film I would take to a desert island.

To me it portrays the complexities of the human condition. The way in which Lawrence tried in vain to bring about the result he wanted; and was used as a pawn, by both the GB politicos and the Arabic leaders.....superb.

David Lean at his best.

Martin
Posted on: 18 December 2005 by Haroon
Radiohead - 7 Television Commercials: great music videos of classic radiohead material. Really been getting into music videos since watching the WarpVision Videos 1989-2004 and Works of Chris Cunningham.

Also watched Serpico, for the first time. One of Pachino's finest performances and a great taste of of US's finest period in film maiking IMHO.
Posted on: 19 December 2005 by Chris Kelly
Working my way through Series 1 box set of "Crime Story", a Michael Mann produced TV show from the 80s, which I first saw when living in the USA at that time. Highly entertaining. Picked up Series 2 recently, so have that to look forward to next year!
Posted on: 21 December 2005 by JeremyD
Battlestar Galactica, Disc 1.

I wonder if the people of the twenty fifth century [or whenever it is] will really plot courses through hyperspace by drawing on paper? And will they really use shaky hand-held cameras to film space battles?

Good to see that Galactica's Vipers still bear a passing resemblance to UFO's Interceptors.

Distractions aside, I'm not really sure what to make of it. I didn't get bored while watching it but I think I need to watch disc 2 before forming an opinion...
Posted on: 22 December 2005 by Jagdeep
Cinderella (original) Special Edition.
Yes ... I have young daughters....

Barbie Pegasus ...
Crash
Chicken run
Polar Express....
The Emperors New Groove (highly recommended for it's wit)

Ssave me.....

Jag
Posted on: 22 December 2005 by Geoff P
quote:
Ssave me.....
Watch either or both of the "Shrek's" they are funny for kids and adults at different levels.

Geoff