ND555 Impressions

Posted by: Bert Schurink on 26 July 2018

The Beast will arrive and will be installed tomorrow morning in my system. So I thought it was a good moment to open up a thread with the fist experiences, also giving others the possibility to share their first impressions with the beast.

I feeel a bit like a little child who has his birthday tomorrow. I assume that even while it will be nice weather during the weekend that I will be a spending a lot of hours with my system.

And as expected my car will not arrive before the ND555.

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Richieroo

Audio T

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Emre

Why I can not see the pictures!,

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by French Rooster
Bert Schurink posted:

With rock and blues much more authority. It immediately connects to your spine.

Hey Bert, congrats !   it’s must be fantastic to discover your music again now!

I wonder how much better vs the nds the nd555 is:   like from cds3 to cd555 or from cd5i to cdx2 or cd5x to cdx2?   1 step or 2 steps better ?    if you can remember when you had cd players before...

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Chag...

Gefeliciteerd Bert ! I really have to take the plunge and trade both NDS and.. 252, I guess. ????

Chag -

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Chag...

I guess you are selling your 300DR to get a ND555, Rooster, aren’t you? ????

Chag -

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Bert Schurink
French Rooster posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

With rock and blues much more authority. It immediately connects to your spine.

Hey Bert, congrats !   it’s must be fantastic to discover your music again now!

I wonder how much better vs the nds the nd555 is:   like from cds3 to cd555 or from cd5i to cdx2 or cd5x to cdx2?   1 step or 2 steps better ?    if you can remember when you had cd players before...

I didn’t own those CD players - but it’s a real big step up. So I would assume it’s like CDS3 to CD555. I belief it’s a step up from CD555.

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Richieroo

Bert have you had your 500dr'd yet??? If not your in for even more of a treat!!!!

Richieroo posted:

Bert have you had your 500dr'd yet??? If not your in for even more of a treat!!!!

No it’s not yet done. Might be tempted to do that later this year, let’s see....

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Not listening, not hearing, forgot my dealer’s number.... 

Congrats Bert - I still have the sound of ND555 in my mind when I heard it several months ago....

Enjoy the music.

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Bert, enjoy... what are your impressions when you put some complex music or discordant music on??? To me that shows a major attribute of the ND555.. interested in your views..

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Bert, enjoy... what are your impressions when you put some complex music or discordant music on??? To me that shows a major attribute of the ND555.. interested in your views..

Simon. With complex music you hear every detail every aspect, without feeeling overwhelmed. I will post further impressions, but for now this is the most musical source I have ever heard, including black gold.

This is what is happening with me. I of course did some swapping from song to song and every time I am getting more amazed. And I even already a further bump in sound quality. It’s sounding so good. That I can’t switch off from Melodies album, I have to hear it till the end. I did some rock music before and I hear that the player is fully in control of rock music. And now you hear how tame the NDS was. It beats the NDS in rock music by two lengths. But also in jazz and classical the soundstage and micro detail immediately put it ahead. Anybody who doubts - stop, this is the best of Naim. It does what the others do as well the detail etc but the others are not so musical. And I mean the likes of Linn etc....

Also a change with the NDS is the remote control. I never used it with the NDS. But with the ND555 I already use it intensively for normal actions. It’s solid works everywhere. So my use scenario will become selecting an album through my iPad Mini, everything else through the remote.

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Harry

Congratulations Bert and thank you for sharing. Much appreciated.

Hope you guys are ok with me posting so much on my experiences. But every other moment I have another experience which I try to reflect to give you a feeling of what the ND555 is about. With the NDS the music was more in between the speakers, now in my seating position I am part of the music. I am also reducing the volume also as the player brings a lot of energy across. And as already mentioned with rock the player takes you really by the balls (sorry for the rude expression), but that’s how the emotion comes across to me...., more to follow....

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Gazza

Bert you are one of a kind, great faith and belief, and your enthusiasm is truly wonderful. Make no apologies, nobody else has one to relay how it sounds. I have heard it twice, but the demo,s probably tried to please everyone, and in the end nobody. 

Just keep dropping the odd line when the emotion takes you????

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by yeti42

Does the volume control do anything? I expect not and it’s just there for the unitis but...

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by DaveBk

Keep the updates coming Bert, it’s great to hear your early experiences. Hopefully I won’t have to wait much longer before my one arrives and I can join in with all the fun. And responding to Yeti42, I would expect the volume to control the preamp via the system automation connection.

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by yeti42

Yes you’re right, the picture in the quick start guide has the label for the connection on the next page.

So first day ended. The sound had a little dip in the afternoon after a great start. In the evening it was magical again. Just as closing thought of the day ..... if you have the money, don’t wait and get your own beast.....

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Foot tapper

Bert, thank you for sharing your evident joy with the rest of us.

Best regards, FT

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by boom
Bert Schurink posted:

Hope you guys are ok with me posting so much on my experiences. 

Yes please do Bert. At home sick, loving sitting here reading your comentry. I’m on the other side of the globe, hurry and wake up so you can feed us some more.

Congrats Bert, enjoy(you clearly are)

p.s I bet you don’t sleep a wink!

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Hook

Congrats Bert, but...

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by No quarter

Bert

How do you have your ND555 connected to the Melco? Ethernet would be my guess,I wonder if there is a difference between Ethernet and BNC to a Core?...like there is on a 272.

No quarter posted:

Bert

How do you have your ND555 connected to the Melco? Ethernet would be my guess,I wonder if there is a difference between Ethernet and BNC to a Core?...like there is on a 272.

It’s connected through a direct Ethernet connection. This in order to still have access to Tidal and even being able to use your iPad to control the beast. Given the separation between the ports for the ND555 and the LAN it’s pushing out noise from the network.