Hook

MDS

Tony2011

Jan-Erik Nordoen

Gianluigi Mazzarra

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Kevin-W

I could never stop loving your Shakatak posts [@mention:1566878603970055]

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Bob the Builder

C'mon Richard clearly if likes came into it I'd be numero uno!

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by kuma
Don Atkinson posted:

Kuma, you've been "top-of-the-Class" for these past 6 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Wow Don.

Even I am impressed!

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Don Atkinson
Mike-B posted:
Don Atkinson posted:
Richard Dane posted:

It's worse than that Don  I've slipped to 3rd place...

And I thought YOU knew the scoring rules !!

If anyone can work those out Don,  it has to be you.  They seem to be more of a puzzle than your dastardly brain teasers

I have tried, and failed, miserably. A few years back, Osprey gave both of us an unexpected boost. I have no idea how !

It’s a mistery !

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by ChrisSU

There should be penalty points deducted from anyone who posts on the 'What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested?' thread and fails to answer the question.  

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Adam Zielinski

Impressive, most impressive as Darth Vader would say...

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by GraemeH
ChrisSU posted:

There should be penalty points deducted from anyone who posts on the 'What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested?' thread and fails to answer the question.  

Or for anyone who uses quotes unnecessarily ... err, hang on

G

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Tony2011
ChrisSU posted:

Also, for people who like to criticise the thread but never bother to post anything in there either!

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Bert Schurink
ChrisSU posted:

This has been a couple of times on discussion in that specific thread, and let me repeat my opinion. Of course I love it when people have a long and extensive review of the album they are of have been listening to. But like with myself, sometimes it’s just about the publishing of your listening behavior, which triggers others to check out - so I appreciate any publishing, with or without context.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Filipe
MDS posted:
Kevin-W posted:

Oooh! 12th! Last time I looked I was 32nd! That rise must be good (I think), but what does it mean? I've never worked out what these rankings are, what they mean, or how they are compiled...

I wonder if there's some correlation to the fortunes of our football teams? 

Perhaps inverse as your spirits may need lifting with music! Also if you enjoy listening to music you may not want to post. Members seem to hang out in different places. I really like the Music Room.

Phil

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Ardbeg10y
Bert Schurink posted:

But like with myself, sometimes it’s just about the publishing of your listening behavior, which triggers others to check out - so I appreciate any publishing, with or without context.

Indeed and I saw there that Piano Forte is not your thing which leads me to the point that even for you Bert there is something to learn! Maybe start listening to recordings on Erard pianos? These are no piano Forte's, but a bit in between the PF and the ugly hummers of the pianos: Steinway grands. Mozart on a Steinway .... What a disaster.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by MDS
Filipe posted:
MDS posted:
Kevin-W posted:

Oooh! 12th! Last time I looked I was 32nd! That rise must be good (I think), but what does it mean? I've never worked out what these rankings are, what they mean, or how they are compiled...

I wonder if there's some correlation to the fortunes of our football teams? 

Perhaps inverse as your spirits may need lifting with music! Also if you enjoy listening to music you may not want to post. Members seem to hang out in different places. I really like the Music Room.

Phil

That's certainly been the case with my lot over the longer term 

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Bert Schurink
Ardbeg10y posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

But like with myself, sometimes it’s just about the publishing of your listening behavior, which triggers others to check out - so I appreciate any publishing, with or without context.

Indeed and I saw there that Piano Forte is not your thing which leads me to the point that even for you Bert there is something to learn! Maybe start listening to recordings on Erard pianos? These are no piano Forte's, but a bit in between the PF and the ugly hummers of the pianos: Steinway grands. Mozart on a Steinway .... What a disaster.

Thanks will take that into the list, while I have some limited piano forte....

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by wenger2015

So is it?

3 points for a good post?

2 points for an ok post?

a bonus point for a liked post?

a controversial post is -1 point?

have a post referred to Richard -2 points?

break the forum rules -5 points?

have focal speakers + 10 points?

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by nigelb

Trying to second-guess the points scoring system - minus 10 points?

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander
Bert Schurink posted:

This has been a couple of times on discussion in that specific thread, and let me repeat my opinion. Of course I love it when people have a long and extensive review of the album they are of have been listening to. But like with myself, sometimes it’s just about the publishing of your listening behavior, which triggers others to check out - so I appreciate any publishing, with or without context.

Not sure how just publishing an album cover or name prompts someone else to want to have a listen, wheras something that says what someone finds good about it, or what style of music (if not blindingly obvious), is much more likely to strike a chord (pun intended!) and warrant the time to dig a bit. 

I rarely bother looking at the thread because so much is just album covers, that convey nothing to me...  

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by winkyincanada
Innocent Bystander posted:

Not sure how just publishing an album cover or name prompts someone else to want to have a listen,  

What happens is that you learn who has similar tastes. If someone posts 10 records I like then an 11th I've not heard, it gets  my interest.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by MDS
wenger2015 posted:

So is it?

have focal speakers + 10 points?

I'm in support of that one 

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Adam Zielinski

I propose another one: have Naim speakers +100 points 

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by ewemon
Bert Schurink posted:
ChrisSU posted:

My prob is that after years of listening to loads of albums whilst working selling music somedays the same album all day for a week I struggle to be able to sit down and listen to an album all the way through so I tend just to play 2-3  trax off an album unless it piques my interest or the opening track grabs me by the cohonies. Hopefully my being able to post more titles helps members expand their knowledge though appreciate it does irritate some. 

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Bert Schurink
ewemon posted:
Bert Schurink posted:
ChrisSU posted:

My prob is that after years of listening to loads of albums whilst working selling music somedays the same album all day for a week I struggle to be able to sit down and listen to an album all the way through so I tend just to play 2-3  trax hoff an album unless it piques my interest or the opening track grabs me by the cohonies. Hopefully my being able to post more titles helps members expand their knowledge though appreciate it does irritate some. 

Keep them coming you have been a couple of times the entry pass to some fantastic new music for other forum members, including me. Nobody is forced to follow the post if they don’t like it, they should just ignore it.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by dave marshall

I've certainly picked up on lots of new music as a result of posts here from Ewen and others, and from feedback received, it's nice to think that I have managed to introduce other to some of mine too .............. and even some of the "LOUD" evening competitions, usually involving Led Zep, often evoke humorous banter.

The Music Room thread rules!

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by nigelb
Bert Schurink posted:
ewemon posted:
Bert Schurink posted:
ChrisSU posted:

My prob is that after years of listening to loads of albums whilst working selling music somedays the same album all day for a week I struggle to be able to sit down and listen to an album all the way through so I tend just to play 2-3  trax hoff an album unless it piques my interest or the opening track grabs me by the cohonies. Hopefully my being able to post more titles helps members expand their knowledge though appreciate it does irritate some. 

Keep them coming you have been a couple of times the entry pass to some fantastic new music for other forum members, including me. Nobody is forced to follow the post if they don’t like it, they should just ignore it.

Well said Bert.

I would rather have a variety intriguing music posts without comments, than a few postings with verbose descriptions, often copied from reviews. I also enjoy hearing how the music made the lister feel, as much as what the music is. These kind of postings are, understandably, rare though.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander
nigelb posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

Well said Bert.

I would rather have a variety intriguing music posts without comments, than a few postings with verbose descriptions, often copied from reviews. I also enjoy hearing how the music made the lister feel, as much as what the music is. These kind of postings are, understandably, rare though.

I agree on verbose comments and copied reviews:  but what would be good would be a brief - just a line or two - comment, whether “similar to x”, “like a cross between x and y”, “a new band reminiscent of z’ or something more descriptive where there usn’t such a comparison.   I think that is what the thread title suggests!

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by nigelb
Innocent Bystander posted:
nigelb posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

Well said Bert.

I agree on verbose comments and copied reviews:  but what would be good would be a brief - just a line or two - comment, whether “similar to x”, “like a cross between x and y”, “a new band reminiscent of z’ or something more descriptive where there usn’t such a comparison.   I think that is what the thread title suggests!

I don't disagree but as soon as you start making such requests you inevitably put some off posting, and some of our most prolific and interesting posters on the WAYLTAWMABI thread make few, if any comments.

That's fine with me as long as they keep posting!