What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2018

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...e-interested-vol-xiv

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by james n

Final one whilst we get prepared for guests tonight. A fantastic album and a favourite of mine for many years.

Thanks for all the postings in 2018 - I've found some great new music thanks to these threads.

Happy New Year folks. Hope 2019 is a great one. 

Talk Talk - The Colour Of Spring

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by nigelb

Sam Bush - Ice Caps Peaks of Telluride

This always brings a massive smile to my face!

Yeeeeharrrr!

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by MDS

My latest Lizz Wright purchase which arrived today so this is my first listen.  Her cover version of A Taste Of Honey is delightful.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Clive B

Bill Evans - Consecration vol. 2

I've been out doing a litter sweep on a lane near our house this afternoon and collected over 100 glass bottles (mostly wine, but some beer and cider), which I have since taken to a local bottle bank.  Now relaxing with a cup of tea and sampling a few albums, before finally settling on this, for Bill's last concert series. Some marvellous playing in what might have been his second best trio (IMHO).

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Stevee_S

(1972)

Rio Grande Mud

Some fine sounding, well recorded early 'Tops to  start closing out the year...

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

26062AA1-7556-42C7-B48A-CB22EA10A947

Code4109 is one of my favourite experimental trip hop albums. DK Krush is nearly always superb, and this one has some great grooves and beats that he has fused together.

Hi Simon, just to let you know that unfortunately your last two images haven't appeared.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Jeroen20

Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues

Next to the 'The blues and the abstract thruth', this is my favorite Oliver Nelson Album. Oliver Nelson and Eric Dolphy collaborate very well together.

Eric Dolphy - Last date

Now listening to this nice concert recording from Eric Dolphy (from 1964).

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by MDS

She maybe less well known than her sister but her music is worth a listen. 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Slim68

Human League, Dare.

Some times I just want some good old 80's Pop and this is one of my favourites.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Clive B

Bill Evans - California Here I Come

I might have to eat my words about the Johnson/LaBarbera trio being the second best as I now think this beats it, with Eddie Gomez on bass and Philly Joe Jones on drums. Here playing at the VV. Maybe it was the venue which worked for Evans and his trio, but this is a storming good album and the audience seems a lot more attentive and appreciative than six years earlier.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Loki
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

42C4F896-1AA0-4311-B333-A901B9A8C7F3

Not as atmospheric as the US prison concerts.. but this concert in a Swedish prison is certainly rather enjoyable.. and Cash’s occasional Swedish utterances makes you smile/cringe.... though I am sure a lot better than I would be.

Enjoying via Qobuz.. 

No image available. What's the album?

Lloydy posted:

My favourite Xmas present

I really need to get a copy of this!

(1979)

Degüllo 

Another one from that little old band from Texas before they went all MTV and video in the eighties (which I really enjoyed BTW!) 

Loki posted:
Lloydy posted:

My favourite Xmas present

I really need to get a copy of this!

You really should Loki! 

Muse: Simulation Theory: 1st pressing vinyl.Warped

Well, I've now listened to side 2, which is more cohesive than side 1. One or two numbers succumb to the imitative fallacy where by ironically incorporating current  mainstream popular styles in their songs they fall foul of the same foibles as their intended targets. Doubly ironic, and perhaps intentionally. But ultimately not terribly satisfactory. 

The warped record seems to muddy the clarity of this thin pressing: no heavyweight vinyl here, sadly, since I have all other albums on 180g.

Alba1320 posted:

"Introductions in the Dark" - Andy Sheppard (Record)

Great and skilful saxophonist. I love this album. Shall have to give it a spin now!

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Tony2011

Poor Gillan did not know what he was getting into...

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Jonners

This is the first of 2 LPs I won on eBay just before Chrimbo and both arrived today. Big Country were the first band I saw live at Friar's in Aylesbury when they were gigging this excellent album and this the first of several 80's LP's scheduled to take me into 2019 - getting the kicked off good n' proper!

Image result for big country the crossing

(2018)

Billy F. Gibbons - The Big Bad Blues

I didn't intend to be playing this tonight but given some chat earlier I really must give it a whirl after all it is one of my favourite albums of the year.

*Edit: It should also get a nomination as one of the best album covers of the year, great photo of the man doing his thang. 

Tony2011 posted:

Happy New Year Tony. 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by osprey

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Tony2011
Stevee_S posted:
Tony2011 posted:

Happy New Year Tony. 

Happy new year, Steve!

Sonny Clark trio

Sonny Clark - Piano; Max Roach - Drums; George Duviver - Bass

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Slim68

The Police, Greats Hits.

Nice SQ and a cracking track list, On multi-room so we can both enjoy while tidying/cooking.