12yr old NAP500 back to the Mothership for service and DR upgrade. Hello 300s. Hellllooo 500DR!

Richard Sellicks posted:

7 weeks now and just gets better 

Hi Richard,

Not wishing too rush things, life goes quickly enough but what a treat I'm in for a treat....in 7 weeks! Just enjoying the now.

Harry posted:

Yeah. Changing one thing changes other things.  For good in this case. My speakers are a bit further apart nowadays, although I didn't move them so soon.

Hi Harry,

Great to hear from you, as always.

Picture the scene, lights off,music on...glass of wine any minute now. Bliss, isn't life great!

Well done @Dustysox hope you're having fun with the 500DR! It's a great musical adventure and you'll begin to notice there's a lot more info in those CDs or vinyl which warrant playing all again! Wow, it looks like there a few forum members who have had their 500 serviced and DR'd in a space of a few months. Mine is coming up to 4m and ever since starting this thread have seen my 500 wow me and still gradually improving albeit now gradually. In terms of the music, my previous summary of the 500DR (relative to my earlier NAPs) was that the music oozes confidence and the musical detailing is so much "there" - a much denser weave to use the fabric analogy. While subtle, I can hear the "air" around instruments particularly percussion which gives it a more three dimensional perspective. The air around the tambourine in the background to Another Brick in the Wall track is easily heard and followed. Background riffs such as the Hammond organ in a lot of Joss Stone's tracks are easily identified and followed even during loud passages. Vocals are delivered in a rich manner and realism. I can go on but don't get me wrong - I didn't upgrade my system to be able to recount such geeky attributes but it is merely that the 500DR has allowed me to hear such things. Given that I use an NDS/555PS/555PSDR/SL interconnect/552DR preceding it, it gives testament also to these components that allow the subtle timbre and nuance in music to feed the power amp. All in all, the return of my 500 in serviced and DR form has kept me well occupied with a pastime I love and long may it continue. I can only hasten to imagine what the Statement can take the next level of musicality to!

ayisgroovy posted:

Well done @Dustysox hope you're having fun with the 500DR! It's a great musical adventure and you'll begin to notice there's a lot more info in those CDs or vinyl which warrant playing all again! Wow, it looks like there a few forum members who have had their 500 serviced and DR'd in a space of a few months. Mine is coming up to 4m and ever since starting this thread have seen my 500 wow me and still gradually improving albeit now gradually. In terms of the music, my previous summary of the 500DR (relative to my earlier NAPs) was that the music oozes confidence and the musical detailing is so much "there" - a much denser weave to use the fabric analogy. While subtle, I can hear the "air" around instruments particularly percussion which gives it a more three dimensional perspective. The air around the tambourine in the background to Another Brick in the Wall track is easily heard and followed. Background riffs such as the Hammond organ in a lot of Joss Stone's tracks are easily identified and followed even during loud passages. Vocals are delivered in a rich manner and realism. I can go on but don't get me wrong - I didn't upgrade my system to be able to recount such geeky attributes but it is merely that the 500DR has allowed me to hear such things. Given that I use an NDS/555PS/555PSDR/SL interconnect/552DR preceding it, it gives testament also to these components that allow the subtle timbre and nuance in music to feed the power amp. All in all, the return of my 500 in serviced and DR form has kept me well occupied with a pastime I love and long may it continue. I can only hasten to imagine what the Statement can take the next level of musicality to!

Yes, sorry  ayisgroovy for letting my excitement of the return of my 500 get the better of me on your thread. Apologies.

i have checked and the,serial,numbers are correct but this is definitely not the 500 from two weeks ago!!!

DB my thoughts....pretty much what,ayisgroovy says above...he says he so much better than I ever could!!

Suffice to say am I happy?...Betcha your 500 I am. My 600's are loving this upgrade showing more of what these speakers are capable of.

Thank god it's Sunday and I can sit relax and enjoy some music.

@Dustysox, if my words were interpreted that way about the thread then please let me say it was not meant that way! I only referred to the thread because I am very heart-warmed that it had generated 4 pages of enthusiasm from those who have an interest, real or passive, in the might 500! In fact I welcome and look forward to any comment on people's experiences re 500 via this thread as it is easy to locate  I hope this Sunday morning is bringing you great tunes on the NAP750.....

ayisgroovy posted:

@Dustysox, if my words were interpreted that way about the thread then please let me say it was not meant that way! I only referred to the thread because I am very heart-warmed that it had generated 4 pages of enthusiasm from those who have an interest, real or passive, in the might 500! In fact I welcome and look forward to any comment on people's experiences re 500 via this thread as it is easy to locate  I hope this Sunday morning is bringing you great tunes on the NAP750.....

Not at all, I was apologising as I had got a bit carried away.

Just listening to,La La Land on Tidal and it sounds glorious.

It’s easy to get carried away. Our 500 is coming up to the one year DR mark and it continues to delight and surprise – in a good way. In describing it, it’s difficult to know where to start. The “in the room” quality of voices, the sheer naturalness of it all, the unfussed, confident grip, seemingly accurate timbre and texture of everything, how the most complex pieces can be mentally broken down into each constituent without losing the whole. Double tracked pieces that turn out to ne four tracked. Four turning out to be eight. The ability of the amp to take away all the padding and leave just the music behind. Whereas a couple of potential changes I’ve listened to in the past two years have merely put a different emphasis on some frequencies (higher frequencies emphasised giving an illusion of more detail), the 500-DR genuinely seems to pull more actual information out of the production, not just reprocess it to sound different. The more I hear, the more admiration I have for much of the skill and dedication that went into making the material and the more “oh, so that’s how they did it” moments come to the fore. You may have been hearing something all your life and however much you appreciate it, it takes something good to demonstrate how it was done, as opposed to that it was done. It’s like time travel. Yes, it’s easy to get carried away.

Today I’m time travelling back to be in the studio with Chuck Berry. It’s impossible to be sad when he starts playing.

Harry well put ......... could not have put it better myself. Some tracks I play have some really complex - full on sections. With other amps I was forced to back off the volume. The 500dr just opens this up and holds on to the musical threads - and you suddenly realise  the reason you were backing off originally was due to the amp losing control ... we are not talking very loud levels here. Correspondingly when you turn up the volume .... the openness and finesse is still there. This is a very special amp....I am just over month 4 and the amp is sounding (in the words of Toni) Grrrrreat.

I got this to an extent with the 300 but the 500 plays this card very convincingly. Crank up the volume and it just sounds better. No hardness, no strain, no edginess, no distortion of the sound stage.  Problem is the rest of the street. So I save it until I know I can use it. 

References to time travel have a strong resonance with me. I suggested a nickname of 'Tardis' for my 552 because of its ability to recreate recording studios from the 50's or the control room in the Kingsway Hall in the 60's. I'd not heard this so acutely when using a 52.

My 500 is off to Naim in early April for service and DR. If the power amp that comes back to me adds to this illusion then I will be truly delighted �� 

kevin J Carden posted:

References to time travel have a strong resonance with me. I suggested a nickname of 'Tardis' for my 552 because of its ability to recreate recording studios from the 50's or the control room in the Kingsway Hall in the 60's. I'd not heard this so acutely when using a 52.

My 500 is off to Naim in early April for service and DR. If the power amp that comes back to me adds to this illusion then I will be truly delighted �� 

Harry posted:

As someone has already accurately described the transformation - some time in June you'll be the owner of a NAP750.

And an added bonus is you won't have to hear that "loud pop/click" through the speakers when you switch on for the first time. Then you know you are in for something special!!!!! 

I don't think Naim charge for this 

Likes (3)
Richard SellicksrschMoussa