272 with xps or xp5

Hi there - Ive just moved from Uniti and 250.2 to 272 and the 250.2 (very nice upgrade) and wondered if any of you had a suggestion as to the relative benefits of moving to an xps or xp5 xs? I have Kudo C20 speakers. Cheers Jonathan

Original Post

The XPS is the natural partner for the 272 and makes an incredible difference everything is just better but I see you are using a 250.2 I would also suggest that an upgrade to the dr spec would also make a massive improvement if possible I would listen to both options to see which you think is the best way for you to proceed.

NickSeattle posted:

The XP5 doesn't get much press here.  

Thanks.

Nick

Agreed. I've not heard one on a 272 but I used one for quite some time on my nDAC and was very pleased with it. I later tried an XPS2DR as a potential upgrade but thought the improvement marginal. For me a took a 555PS to oust the XP5XS.  On the nDAC I would say the XP5XS offered about 80% of the XPS2DR's performance at half the price.

BTW I still use a XP5XS to power my CDX2.2, used as a digital transport. I think the XP5XS deserves more press as it delivers great VFM.  

I had a XP5XS on my NP5XS with great results on this unit. I also used it to power my NDS, with good results, while I was sourcing a 2nd hand DR upgraded 555PS. Obviously the NDS really needs the twin Burndy supply provided by the 555PS, but the XP5XS did a good job at a third of the cost.

BTW my XP5XS is available on a 2nd Hand HiFi store, which improves the VFM further!

Simon.

I use an XP5XS with my NAC272 having traded in my ND5 last month. I haven't used the 272 naked yet but when I added the XP5 to the ND5 it added bass definition and revealed more. The 272 is much more revealing than the ND5 - but I upgraded my 250.2 to DR at the same time so an embarrassment of riches all at once ! ( Thanks to Robbie in Montrose for chasing the DR process for me!)

I'm very happy meantime !

jatr

I have now done a comparison of the 272 naked with 272 with xp5 xs. There is a substantial improvement in detail and bass definition. One of the test tracks used ( all streamed by hard wired ether net from Unitiserve) was the version of Something on The Beatles remastered 1 best of. The extra detail and "oomph" on McCartney's bass was incredible - also showing what an incredible bass player he is. I also listened to the remastered version of Be my Downfall from Del Amitri' s Change Everything album and with the separate power supply I could hear when Justin Currie's voice was double tracked - which I hadn't discerned before.

Finally I listened to Bob Dylan's Mississipi from cd 2 on Tell Tale Signs and the timbre of the voice was fuller; I could hear more bass but still hear all the acoustic guitar/dobro which was clear and coherent.

in summary I think it's fair to say that I am hearing more of the music with the power supply connected.

i haven't heard an XPS DR but the XP5 is a great piece of kit and as has been pointed out before - it's great value! No plans to upgrade at this time !!

jatr

simes_pep posted:

I had a XP5XS on my NP5XS with great results on this unit. I also used it to power my NDS, with good results, while I was sourcing a 2nd hand DR upgraded 555PS. Obviously the NDS really needs the twin Burndy supply provided by the 555PS, but the XP5XS did a good job at a third of the cost.

BTW my XP5XS is available on a 2nd Hand HiFi store, which improves the VFM further!

Simon.

Interesting, taking it that you meant ND5XS, as when I added XP5XS with it the improvement wad only marginal, leading to me to sell it and instead gain marked improvement a different way by adding Hugo, just using ND5XS as renderer.

as the XP5 doesn't get much press I should chime in :-) : I do have an XP5 on top of my NDX and despite it not being the designated PS for the NDX it does  makes quite a (positive) difference vs the bare NDX (which is why I went for it in the first place, I did not have the funds for the XPS at the time).

Likes (0)