4.6 update and upgrade sound quality ?

Finkfan posted:

I’m having issues installing the USB driver on my laptop. I just get the message...

Cannot complete the device driver installation wizard

Errors were encountered etc. 

Ive tried a few time. Same every time. 

Any ideas?? 

Are you running one of the recent Mac OS? 

Eoink posted:
Mike-B posted:

........  we need @hungryhalibut to chip in (or should that be swim in)    he wrote up a good & positive description of the 272 sound with the new DSP in the beta test thread.  

Halibut and chips Mike?

More lyrical, engaging and natural was my conclusion. It seems easier to follow the musical strands, but without being overs analytical. It was slightly different in beta with the 272: with the other streamers Naim found a DSP version they were all happy with, but with the 272 it was felt that more performance could be squeezed out, which thankfully came to fruition. One interesting test I did was with a Gang if Four album, Return the Gift, where the new DSP was throwing vocal effects six feet to the left of the left speaker, which I didn’t recall happening previously. It takes a few days to get used to the new sound and assess changes - it cannot be done as quick A/B comparisons. It’s where the beta becomes interesting, it’s easy to identify if X or Y works or doesn’t (often hard to fix for Naim’s tech team thought) but much more challenging to identify which version of DSP is best, bearing in mind that everyone’s setup is different and that what is initially impressive can be annoying long term. I think, with the 272 at least, that Naim have done a fantastic job on this, and have squeezed more performance from the humble streaming preamp than I thought possible. It’s very reassuring that, so far, others are pleased with the changes. 

Adam Zielinski posted:
Finkfan posted:

I’m having issues installing the USB driver on my laptop. I just get the message...

Cannot complete the device driver installation wizard

Errors were encountered etc. 

Ive tried a few time. Same every time. 

Any ideas?? 

Are you running one of the recent Mac OS? 

Hi Adam

No, I’m running Windows 7 or 8, can’t remember which now, on a Sony viao laptop 

Will the upgrade help me as well, having ND5XS with nDAC ?

If the upgrade for the ND5XS only has improved on the things that the nDAC takes care of (when paired together) then there will be no reason for me to upgrade the firmware. 

Or ???

Claus

It can be done over wireless,  some laptops have no ethernet connection.   Personally, although I've tried wireless (once) I always use ethernet:    I have to run the USB cable,   the extra time needed to run the ethernet to my router or net-switch positions is nothing.

@Finkfan Unfortunately you need to have the USB connection and as well both the unit and the PC have to be connected to the internet (I suspect the latter is actually on the same Lan with IP addresses allocated, but it boils down to the same thing). It won't work without both and the reason is that some of the update is delivered over the USB connection and some of it is delivered over the Ethernet connection.

best

David

fernar posted:

When I did my upgrade on both the N272 and Unitlite - both hardware were connected to the internet via a wired connection, but my laptop was connected via wifi.... in both cases the update worked without any issues.

I’ve always used WiFi, without problems. 

Finkfan posted:

Useful info guys. If I can’t get the driver to work I’ll try and update via Ethernet. 

Do you have access to another laptop? I successfully installed the USB driver on my Dell laptop  (if I can trust the Device Manager), but the update software didn't recognise/find my streamer. Tried again and again -- without success. I then tried the same with our rather ancient Samsung laptop -- I did exactly the same, but this time the update went through without any problem. No clue why a new Dell could deliver what they old Samsung did... Just relieved that I didn't need to bother Phil...

I read in a much earlier post a day or two back that the USB drivers come in two flavours. Generic Windows and Windows 7, 8 and 10 version. The poster had to delete the generic Windows driver he had installed which didn't work and install the later one, which then did work. No doubt this post can be found if someone wants to look for it.

best

David

David Hendon posted:

I read in a much earlier post a day or two back that the USB drivers come in two flavours. Generic Windows and Windows 7, 8 and 10 version. The poster had to delete the generic Windows driver he had installed which didn't work and install the later one, which then did work. No doubt this post can be found if someone wants to look for it.

best

David

I used the same driver with both the Dell and Samsung laptops -- so that "variable" is stable and can't explain why the Dell did not work...

I have a super duper fast and up-to-date laptop on Win10 that won't work no matter what drivers I try to install on it. I also have a wheezing, clunky old laptop on Win7 that will get Com3 and run the update without a hitch. Unfortunately, the link posted further up the thread didn't help. But I do appreciate people trying to help. Maybe Naim can weigh in?

Timo posted:
David Hendon posted:

best

David

I used the same driver with both the Dell and Samsung laptops -- so that "variable" is stable and can't explain why the Dell did not work...

Well it could explain it, if the driver is ok for your "rather ancient" Samsung but not for your newer Dell. But anyway I'm just saying this worked for someone else.

best

David

I installed the latest version for Win-10 & now have this & the old generic multi-Win version also installed.    When I connected up the USB cable it connected OK,  no idea which driver its selecting but who cares.    The point is you can load both.    With Win-10 it installs in OS>Programs>DIFX

marcobb posted:

According to the upgrade process, there mention the PC need connect to the network use wired, anybody try to use the wireless instead of wired ?

Is it wireless connect to the network also work ?

yes I have updated use a wireless connection otherwise I would have to move the SU near the modem.
everything was simple and it worked.
I did not understand why  need to update with devices connected to the network if the update is installed on the PC

Anto68 posted:
marcobb posted:

According to the upgrade process, there mention the PC need connect to the network use wired, anybody try to use the wireless instead of wired ?

Is it wireless connect to the network also work ?

yes I have updated use a wireless connection otherwise I would have to move the SU near the modem.
everything was simple and it worked.
I did not understand why  need to update with devices connected to the network if the update is installed on the PC

It's because some of the update is delivered over the USB connection and some of it is delivered over the ethernet/wifi connection. You need both.

best

David

ChrisR_EPL posted:

My ND5XS seems to have lost a bit of ooomph unless it's turned up a lot more. Anyone else noticed it?

Absolutely, couldn't believe my ears (just ike a psu).

Always a good sign, in fact voices and details are more real and highs more airy and less shrilling, no mid bass omph.

When turned up a whole new musical experience. 

Hmm. I'm not convinced by the DSP update. On my system there's now a bass bloom and the classically 'Naim' midrange hump has gone. I watched a film through it last night and it was noticeably harder to hear the voices due to midrange recess. The bass was like pushing a loudness button.  I hope it's an adjustment period. I'll listen again later at reasonable levels. I imagine it'll sound better through NACA5 than Tellurium Q. This is, in no way, a criticism of our esteemed Beta testers, simply a reaction to how my own system sounds. 

I've just done my 272 and I find a significant improvement to SQ... By no means the equivalent to a 'black box' upgrade, more like the effect of upgrading interconnect cables.

I find vocals clearer and instrumental timbres a bit better differentiated, I also think the microdynamics have been sharpened a little giving a sense of it being a little louder at any given actual volume level.  As others have found, I think the bass seems stronger and more controlled, I don't believe that the volume of the bass has increased, just that it seems more defined and the low bass and mid bass are better integrated both between themselves and to the midrange so that it stays clearer and fades less into the general mix

Looking at the posts here while there are differences to peoples perception of vocals and mid-range performance consistent between the different streamers (most notably between devices with the Analogue Devices DSP chip and those without), the perception of stronger bass does seem to be consistent across all the platforms.

Thank-you for the free upgrade to my N272, it now sounds fresher, cleaner especially on male vocals and piano.   I can hear a slightly bloom to some bass notes, but that was quickly fixed by bringing the speakers 5cm from the back wall, which in turn opens the top end out.

easy upgrade once I'd updated the 64bit drivers , used a very short 10cm USB cable, which can reach to my laptop

Mu-so OBlong updated via the app smoothly...again seems cleaner and Mu-so QB is awaiting it's new f/w

Huge posted:

I've just done my 272 and I find a significant improvement to SQ... By no means the equivalent to a 'black box' upgrade, more like the effect of upgrading interconnect cables.

I find vocals clearer and instrumental timbres a bit better differentiated, I also think the microdynamics have been sharpened a little giving a sense of it being a little louder at any given actual volume level.  As others have found, I think the bass seems stronger and more controlled, I don't believe that the volume of the bass has increased, just that it seems more defined and the low bass and mid bass are better integrated both between themselves and to the midrange so that it stays clearer and fades less into the general mix

Looking at the posts here while there are differences to peoples perception of vocals and mid-range performance consistent between the different streamers, the perception of stronger bass does seem to be consistent across all the platforms.

I wish I could report on whether my 272 sounds different after the 4.6 upgrade but my left ear is completely blocked so I can’t really hear anything!! I’m booked in for the syringe treatment on Tuesday morning. I anticipate that will be - by far - the biggest upgrade of the week for my system...

S3 posted:

I wish I could report on whether my 272 sounds different after the 4.6 upgrade but my left ear is completely blocked so I can’t really hear anything!! I’m booked in for the syringe treatment on Tuesday morning. I anticipate that will be - by far - the biggest upgrade of the week for my system...

Na...  Just buy a 555PSDR for the 272 - it's a much bigger upgrade!

Add Reply

Likes (2)
KlydeMinh Nguyen