552 obsession or stupidity

Zoot

My two cents. You have a lovely Naim system already. I can see your considering a 552. And I've never read a bad comment or negative review. Two things argue for your taking the plunge 1) you appear to keep your equipment for a long time and therefore are not in a constant upgrade cycle and 2)  you seem to really like and are committed to the Naim sound. My only caution would be that you never ever over extend yourself financially on audio equipment. If you can easily afford the purchase new or used, go for it. Otherwise, the 52 is still superb.

Cheers

Richieroo posted:

Hi I meant there is no financial argument to justify purchasing ..... it is in my opinion too expensive.....all be it very very good....

Yes you're correct. I'd never tell any of my mates how much my preamp cost me. Even the one who easily loses what my 552 costs on the Porsche he really can't afford. It seems more acceptable in society to throw money at cars. 

Just wonderful, brilliant, it doesn't get better than this. A truly superb example.

But enough about me, this is to do with the excellence of the 552, and it is very good indeed. You're the only one who can decide if it's worth forking out for, but if you just want to hear one in your system out of curiosity, don't.

Trust me its bloody good ........ it gives a full visceral Naim presentation - that is addictive,persuasive and brilliant read the old stereophile review .... but at a price ... buy second hand. Lasty you need to be barking mad like me....just don't go outside with underpants on your head and pencils in your nose....!!!

Wugged Woy posted:
Richieroo posted:

Hi I meant there is no financial argument to justify purchasing ..... it is in my opinion too expensive.....all be it very very good....

Look at it this way. Neymar has just cost PSG 200 million sterling. 

The 552 is an absolute snip !!!!

I think the extra cost of Neymar is because, unlike a new 552, he comes fully run-in.   

zoot posted:

After 22 years my 52/Chris West works perfectly why am I obsessed with the addition of the 552/552ps What I've got for power are tri- amped 250s nbl's , LP12 ,cd2,nd.....what I'd like to know is .....will it blow me away ?

Linn lp12 arkIva,troika ,Valhalla, cd2,nds

Just my 52 cents worth, but swapping out a 52 for 552 will most probably come with the usual caveats of domino syndrome component upgradious starting with the front end LP12 begging upgrades for the new improved 552 'sound' to exploit, the power amps will beg upgrading to black box classic 300 or 500 and to be placed on proper job Naim Fraim, add in the costly temptation of DR'ing, and the wonderful dynamic lure of Chord cables [expensive but incredibly nice] and you have the recipe for lots of further oncoming expenditure - which is fine if one is prepared for this and can affording it without selling a kidney : )

However there is an alternative and more affordable plan; not picked up in this topic at yet but Zoot doesn't have a ordinary 52, he has a Chris West 52 which all going well with a recent enough service history [to include the 52PS] should be head shoulders boot and braces above the normal capabilities of an average good order 52.

Okay perhaps it won't shine as well musically as a 552 but given a modest budget restraint if it were my system i'd be very temped to stick with the olive amps with the Chris West 52 as the hub, and spend out on LP12 upgrades, or better still a complete new higher spec LP12 with Ekos SE Radikal/Urika & Keel on board.

I also second TonyM's questioning of the tri-amp arrangement? ...which may need sorting with a  SNAXO & Supercap.

Debs

It really is simple. Do you have the funding to buy the 552 now or in the near future without adversely affecting your life or other plans that are more important to you? If not then forget it. If yes, is there a dealer who can loan you one to try in your system (or at the very least facilitate demo with your system components)?  If yes then do that. Your only choice then is whether the difference it makes seems justified and would give you more pleasure than the other things you might spend the money on. As the latter consideration might include other upgrades, consider seeking to audition them at the same time if possible, so the choice becomes a simple comparison.

of course, if auditioning is not an option you'll just have to weigh up all that everyone had suggested and decide on the balance of probabilities.

The 552... there's no blowing, but rather there is sucking...  it's that sharp intake of breath when you first install a 552 into your own system and realise what you've been missing.

Forget holidays, they only last a couple of weeks,  forget cars, you can't sit outside in them all evening going nowhere.  Cash in all your savings, remortgage your home, sell the wife if necessary... and invest in a 552...  that's what I did  (unfortunately the wife got returned to me a few days later).

As Richieroo said... simples !

Thanks for all the comments it's helpful. Must admit the posts have inspired me and led to a call to local dealer , some immediate suggestions as follows, upgrade to floor isolaters, add some SL cables,upgrade power for snaxo, upgrade ps for cd2? Otherwise continuing enjoying system as-is? As a musician one quickly learns/understands listening is everything...one life live it

rjstaines posted:

The 552... there's no blowing, but rather there is sucking...  it's that sharp intake of breath when you first install a 552 into your own system and realise what you've been missing.

Forget holidays, they only last a couple of weeks,  forget cars, you can't sit outside in them all evening going nowhere.  Cash in all your savings, remortgage your home, sell the wife if necessary... and invest in a 552...  that's what I did  (unfortunately the wife got returned to me a few days later).

Have to say, I have to agree with this - (minus selling the wife part). 

Cars, holidays, eating in restaurants, all this is not required in life, once a 552 is installed in one's system.

It is necessary to have lots of  "alone" time though to enjoy playing one music collection all over again.... 

I disagree: holidays are a vital part of life, bringing experiences and memories that enrich us. If I had to choose between music and holidays music would win. But if I had to choose between better gear and holidays when I already have something pretty reasonable, holidays would win. And as my wife prefers holidays to music, she would win, and if she wins I win. A true win-win situation!

analogmusic posted:
rjstaines posted:

Cars, holidays, eating in restaurants, all this is not required in life, once a 552 is installed in one's system.

It is necessary to have lots of  "alone" time though to enjoy playing one music collection all over again.... 

Complete bollocks. Holidays and meals out enrich one's life extraordinarily. Who wants to sit by themselves listening to music all the time? I'm always saying this, but a 552 won't change one's life. 

Hungryhalibut posted:
analogmusic posted:
rjstaines posted:

Complete bollocks. Holidays and meals out enrich one's life extraordinarily. Who wants to sit by themselves listening to music all the time? I'm always saying this, but a 552 won't change one's life. 

Completely agree, HH. I love my music more than most, but there is so much more to life. Friendship and social events are vital for a happy life. Also, the opportunity of travelling to foreign countries,  investigating new cultures and experiences is amazing and truly life changing. Moving from a 52 to a 252 to a 552 is not.

P.S. I dearly love, with deep passion, my little NAC72..........  But my next India expedition (the 4th) is important too 

erm - in times of starvation and when funds are limited, one can really enjoy a 282 / 250 system, as I do everyday.

I'm not at all motivated to change anything in my system, HungryHalibut as it sounds perfect to me.

Hope this clarifies.... It's all about the money.........and the source 

I really struggle to see the point of your original question and the ensuing discussion. If you really do need the persuasion and support of total strangers to help you justify any purchase, then don't do it!! If the 552 is worth £20k to you, and you have the cash, and you're happy to sacrifice what you could have bought in its place, then buy it. If you can't, and haven't, then don't. It really is as simple as that. Only you can ever truly know whether or not the incremental gain is worth the outlay.

If I were to have asked the forum's opinions and advice on my recent acquisitions I would have undoubtedly received some endorsements, but many more telling me not to invest in a mullet and spend more on source, etc. etc. etc. I knew what I liked, what sounded good to me, and bought it. Thus far I have no regrets. As someone else said earlier - simples!

Social media eh? It gives us the ability to commune with lots of other folk and seek their advice and approbation in our life choices.

A good thing? Discuss. Preferably not on social media. Are we happier? Will we ever know what's going on with Donald Trump's hair and other burning issues of the age?

I've said before that most questions here can be answered with - 'Find a good dealer; take advice; listen, and you like it and can afford it; buy it.

John.

Hungryhalibut posted:
analogmusic posted:
rjstaines posted:

It's most unlike you to sit on the fence with your opinions HH 

Been there done that. (all kinds of Holidays and all kinds of meals). In fact I am on holiday now, ending in 2 days and what's the first thing I will do, go home and play some records on my Naim system !

Who wants to sit by themselves listening to music all the time? I can't think of anything more fun to do in my case.

I've always loved the thrill of a live musical performance, and I get this thrill with Naim amplifiers.

as I said the only reason to be content with a 282 instead of 552 is lack of money.

Technically, what 552 offers is a lower noise floor, where more micro-details (low level ones where cues of emotion are present) - more resolution is apparent in a side by side comparison with 282. Much superior resolution of bass notes too, everything is just better on a 552. Bigger soundstage also, huge 3d and holographic.

This lets more music through simples.....

Hungryhalibut posted:

Crap   A 552 (in a matched system) is guaranteed to provide great music -so will most certainly "change your life".  A once in a life time holiday yes okay but most holidays and certainly meals out here today gone tomorrow.

I was simply reflecting on the choice between being a middle aged bloke sitting alone listening to an album that I'd heard a thousand times before, in slightly better quality, or going on holiday to a new place, seeing new things, new art, eating in new places. I look back over my 31 years married to Hilary and can remember all those holidays we've had and things we've seen, and the memories give me great pleasure. I look back on when I had a 552 and listen to my scummy 272 now and I enjoy music just as much. That's why I say a 552 won't change your life. I spent 10 hours listening to music two days ago, and it was a real pleasure. I did this solely because I couldn't leave the house because I was preparing for a colonoscopy, but I wouldn't want to listen to that much music every day, it would be like wasting my life. Anyway, it is simply a matter of priorities. Bollocks is probably my favourite word, so it's good to deploy it once in a while. 

The Strat (Fender) posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

Crap   A 552 (in a matched system) is guaranteed to provide great music -so will most certainly "change your life".  A once in a life time holiday yes okay but most holidays and certainly meals out here today gone tomorrow.

It's a bit more complicated than that isn't it? I'm sure we all know people who love music who don't have great systems. One mate of mine writes, produces, has played in bands all his life, had a recording contract at one point but does his listening on a pretty inexpensive system. It's not that he can't hear that stuff sounds better on my (low-mid range Naim) system. I think in many ways though he needs less stimulus to trigger the deep memories of what live music sounds like - his brain fills in the gaps more. All I really mean is that I think we should be wary of saying only by spending £50k can you get great music - it's very personal.

Beyond that, I'm a huge believer that EXPERIENCES give more lasting pleasure than STUFF. Experience are temporary but the memories of great experiences last a lifetime. I'm sure most of us have experienced how quickly the pleasure of a new car fades. 12 years ago I dropped the cost of a fairly expensive black box on a few days heliskiing in Canada. Definitely worth it for me - I can shut my eyes and relive some of the sensations today. Great meals and great holidays can achieve that too and they don't HAVE to cost a lot of money.

For me STUFF that enables EXPERIENCES is the grey area. In this era where so many people split their attention between the TV, their smartphone and the people around them, it is quite magical to be captivated by music alone - that IS an experience. That is surely the test of whether a system is good enough - does it draw you in to the point you can happily spend a couple of hours just listening to music. I don't think most people need a 552 to achieve that (although for most people who are not enthusiasts no amount of money would ever achieve that).

Likes (3)
RichierooGraemeHzoot