82 preamp service, 42.5 backup

I'm thinking I should get my 82 serviced ('97?). My Supercap was done recently to good effect, as was a HiCap. Am I likely to get a good improvement in SQ? Also, I've heard mention of a POT 8 upgrade - but I'm not sure if I have this already. Can I check this myself? Finally, while the 82 is away I have a 42.5 to keep things going - can I use this with my NH2/ HiCap headphone amp?

Original Post

I've never been convinced that servicing preamps did a great deal. I wouldn't bother. If you open it up, you will see the pots version written on the board attached to the front panel, elegantly written in marker pen. Pots 8 is very worthwhile, but if you don't have it you may be better selling your amp and buying a Pots 8, as the upgrade is very expensive. 

Should you you go for the upgrade, I think you can use the Headline by plugging it into the 42.5's tape socket. Not sure though - you may like to try it. 

I had my 82 serviced a couple of years ago - this after having nothing done on it for some 20 years.  Can honestly say it made a significant improvement and was well worth the money.

I suggest you speak to an expert like Darran at Class A; he will answer your question about servicing and POTS8 upgrade.  I asked about having the latter done and he said the difference was minimal and my money could be spent better elsewhere!  An extremely honest and helpful guy who has a reputation for excellent service.

Naim serviced my old NAC32.5 when it was a mere 17 years old.

Sheila, who ran the Service Dept at the time, advised that I was lucky, as it was about to "fall off the edge of the cliff" at that point.  A substantial number of components had to be replaced.

Based on this, I'd have a Naim pre-amp serviced after 15 years or less.

Note that this advice is offered on the basis of an extensive survey of 1 pre-amp...

I was, however, mighty relieved to have had it done.

If memory serves, the POTS8 upgrade on the NAC52 was an additional £350 on top of the normal service.  This was 2 years ago.

Hope this helps, FT

Thank you Dave for your kind words.

With reference to the POTS-8 upgrade, if you have a version 6 or above fitted then the difference is small, however if you have version 5 or below then it is well worth the extra cost if you are planning on keeping the Nac-82

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog:

I had my 82 serviced a couple of years ago - this after having nothing done on it for some 20 years.  Can honestly say it made a significant improvement and was well worth the money.

I suggest you speak to an expert like Darran at Class A; he will answer your question about servicing and POTS8 upgrade.  I asked about having the latter done and he said the difference was minimal and my money could be spent better elsewhere!  An extremely honest and helpful guy who has a reputation for excellent service.

When Darren serviced my 32.5 a few years ago (it's first ever service) there was a significant step forward in SQ. Well worth it. Age dependent, of course. Darren can advise, and will only replace/repair what is required. Extremely quick, expert and friendly service.