Another 552 owner

Well it finally happened, and I am letting my new 552 settle down and enjoying its mood swings... certainly sounds rather impressive as you woul expect in my system... it’s interesting how certain very familiar tracks do sound different from my 252DR, almost as if the mixer levels for the instruments are  different.... and yes on my 252 you could follow the instruments, but with the 552 you can follow but also get more of the subtle inflexions and timing in those embedded instruments... also fair to say the imaging is quite noticeably enhanced on the 552 over the 252... happy chappy.

Original Post

Nice one Simon.

As a fellow 252 owner (well not now of course) I have had the same hankering as you. But having just added a 555DR which my NDS loves, no more black boxes for me for some considerable time.

As the 552 beds in I would be interested to hear your comparisons to your previous 252......or would I...!?!?

I am sure you will enjoy the 552 very much.

Welcome to the 552 club .............. before purchase, everyone here tells you how seriously good the 552 is, but it still remains something of a leap of faith to commit a not insubstantial amount of money in order to get hold of one.

Post purchase, once it settles in, comes that "wow" moment, which you seem already to be experiencing, and which confirms in spades just how much one had previously been missing in the music.

Congratulations, and enjoy! 

Cheers gents, and Hook all I’ll say is thank you bitcoin...... yes very rewarding, ... as far as comparison with the 252 it’s rather different... not to take anything away from the 252, but the presentation takes quite a step forward in terms of intensity and absorption..... it’s true what Naim say, the heart of the system is the preamp.. it just brings everything along with it... Nick indeed this was bought from Signals.

i look forward to it evolving ... oh yes the deep bass and kick is rather impressive.. not experienced that before quite like this at SinS towers.

Excellent news, Simon. I'm sure you deserve it. I know some on here talk about the wow moment when hearing the 552 for the first time (and I know you have heard it in other systems several times), and I was impressed the first time I heard it. But very often the initial impression with new kit fades and in the long run you forget about it. However the thing that has really impressed me about the 552DR is that during the 20 months I've had one I still regularly have those pause moments in listening to very familiar albums and I find myself saying 'gosh, I hadn't heard that before!. The 552DR really does seem to keep on giving.

Mike  

Mike, indeed, I am listening to Johnny Cash, At Folsom Prison a firm favourite ... and yes there are lots of sounds and  Johnny clearly moving around the microphone that  I have never really noticed before... it’s a wonderfully atmospheric recording anyway and yet the 552 really does get you closer to that movement in time recording.

Congratulations on the new pre-amp, Simon. I'm only 3 months in myself as a new 552 owner and every album I play reveals something I've not heard or been aware of before. I rather feel that I'd been cheating my ears for years.

Enjoy the new discoveries!

Congratulations Simon, you know I could have saved you a bundle of Cash!

If you only would have held on to that 282, until a sweet heart of a deal came through, for a 552!

Well it's only Money, you cant take it with you!

Ok, give us the 252/552 Spill!

====================================

Hi well I have owned (282) and currently the 252 with various PSUs. To me the element that seems to drastically change the sonic character is whether the PSUs for the NAC are DR'd or not. To me the HiCap non DR and to some extent the SC non DR exhibit a slight mid bass hump/warmth, that goes when you use a HiCapDR and SCDR. I found not a huge difference between the HiCapDR and SCDR on the 282, and the SCDR seems to transform the 252 from sounding reserved and subtle into a forthright, balanced and mightily insightful pre.

So if you plan to get the 252, and you like a more forthright, insightful and  agile presentation then get your SuperCap DR'd.

BTW my CDX2 native sounds amazing into 252DR/250.2.. In fact it never sounded better..

===================================

Allante93!

PS. The Dreaded Loom

That’s three of us buying 552s from unearned income. Me and CM from inherited money and now Simon from a bitcoin windfall. I wonder if anyone buys one with hard earned cash? To me the money was unexpected and somehow didn’t feel real so was easy to spend, there were also a few reminders of mortality over the last few years which helped nudge the decision. I can’t say I have any regrets about spending it on a 552 though.

Hi Yeti, well I look at it as speculative investment income which I did have to work quite hard (trade between Cryptos) to make it grow sufficiently in the time.. it became quite stressful once I set myself the goal and am glad that is now over    . However I use such speculative investments only  for discretionary spend.. yes if I kept it invested it will probably be worth 10x that in a years time by just leaving it alone, but also could also be worth nothing such is the nature of highly volatile investments. I feel I am best extracting amounts out each year so one is not stung for CGT... however what is the point if you can’t enjoy it (and in my case help my family too)  and its not every day you get the opportunity to buy a new 552 which  makes it all the more enjoyable when you can ... glad you are enjoying your 552 too.

Hi Allante, oh boy for me there was a huge step between 282 and 252... possibly more so than there has been so far between 252 and 552 ... but my 552 is still running in... it would have missed out so much not having had my 252 over the last recent years.... it’s a cracking NAC... but each step up the ladder gives you something else to enjoy in your music...   of course it helps having a helpful dealer when trading up your Naim as well. Interestingly as you go up the ladder used prices seem to hold better, as there are less items in circulation but a healthy demand.... so a fairly recent used 252DR appears to command a good used price.

yeti42 posted:

That’s three of us buying 552s from unearned income. Me and CM from inherited money and now Simon from a bitcoin windfall. I wonder if anyone buys one with hard earned cash? To me the money was unexpected and somehow didn’t feel real so was easy to spend, there were also a few reminders of mortality over the last few years which helped nudge the decision. I can’t say I have any regrets about spending it on a 552 though.

I bought mine, admittedly an ex-dem model, with earned income. I do not 'do' investments.

Nick from Suffolk posted:
yeti42 posted:

I bought mine, admittedly an ex-dem model, with earned income. I do not 'do' investments.

Yes, same here. But I find, once I've decided on something expensive, I no longer have qualms. Having been with a good friend as he entered hospital for the last time, clutching just his sponge bag and a book, I'm a great believer in spending on what you enjoy, whilst you can.

tonym posted:

Yes, same here. But I find, once I've decided on something expensive, I no longer have qualms. Having been with a good friend as he entered hospital for the last time, clutching just his sponge bag and a book, I'm a great believer in spending on what you enjoy, whilst you can.

Indeed Tony - once you set your mind on a goal it removes any qualms you may have... i guess as for most it takes varying amounts of time to reach a goal - if you did have second thoughts you have plenty of time to change your mind... but then as I said earlier - if you can.. why not  enjoy it whilst you can? 

TOBYJUG posted:

What about your affection for your CDX2. How is that sounding now with the new pre ?

it has never sounded better - just been enjoying some Bob Dylan - and his voice sounds more full and less forced than I seem to have remembered. I was also listening to some Deadmau5 and my ATC cones were really pumping. The deep bass performance difference between the 252 and 552 is really very noticable.

Likes (1)
nickpeacock