Are we sleep-walking out of Europe ?

Oh ! UK pilot licences have been gradually phased out these past 15 years or so and effectively vanish on 8th April this year. We all have (and most of us for some time) European licences and these will be the only really useful ones from April 2018 going forward ........... well, until the end of March next year when I guess we might see the return of..........it's a bl**dy joke ! IMHO of course !

Pcd posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

I changed to metric units ages ago........

....the metric Chain being 20m long and there being 80 of them in the metric Mile (1,600m)

Can't see what all the fuss is about.

Our fleet of American aeroplanes have Moment Arms in good old inches and weights (who cares about Mass) in old fashioned lbs. We buy our fuel in Litres but the operating handbooks show consumption rates in Gallons per hour (US gallons, none of your Imperial gallons !). Take-off and Landing distances are graphed in feet, but all our airport charts show Take-off run and Take-off distance in metres. Distances in Nautical miles and speeds in Knots. Visibility in metres and altitude in feet or Flight Levels. Atmospheric Pressure in hecto-Pascals..........

Don, I'm glad they've kept it simple for you and not over complicated matters !!!

Funnily enough, you do actually get used to it all !

Well, most of the time !

Don Atkinson posted:

....the metric Chain being 20m long and there being 80 of them in the metric Mile (1,600m)

Our fleet of American aeroplanes have Moment Arms in good old inches and weights (who cares about Mass) in old fashioned lbs. We buy our fuel in Litres but the operating handbooks show consumption rates in Gallons per hour (US gallons, none of your Imperial gallons !). Take-off and Landing distances are graphed in feet, but all our airport charts show Take-off run and Take-off distance in metres. Distances in Nautical miles and speeds in Knots. Visibility in metres and altitude in feet or Flight Levels. Atmospheric Pressure in hecto-Pascals..........

Yet some countries complicate matters by using metric flight levels, e.g. Russia. 

Don Atkinson posted:
Pcd posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

Don, I'm glad they've kept it simple for you and not over complicated matters !!!

Funnily enough, you do actually get used to it all !

Well, most of the time !

No wonder you are good at the Brain-teasers, Don.

Clive B posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

Yet some countries complicate matters by using metric flight levels, e.g. Russia. 

Yes ! Add in QNH, QFE, Density Altitude, North American 29.92, our 1013,25 cold weather corrections etc it’s a minefield for potential errors or mishaps!

A friend of mine flies for a Chinese airline with destinations in Europe, Russia and China. He would like to see a lot more standardisation, especially with altimeter settings.

Add Reply

Likes (2)
Jockymacwanderer