June 26, 2012 6:52 PM

Ok I found the info on the beeb's site by Rupert Brun, Head of TEchnology for BBC Audio and Music - slightly abridged:

For Radio 3 live broadcasts are carried as 48kHz linear encoded digital signals. They are down sampled to meet the requirements of the Continuity Desk system which uses 44.1kHz. At this point the format is carried as BWAV (broadcast WAV) streams. This is also where media is streamed from ripped CD's etc. (hence the 44.1kHz sample rate. This Continuity Desk system then feeds the signal to the 'Broadcast Router' that splits the signal into the broadcast chains including Terrestrial and Satellite TV, DAB and VHF FM audio - but at this point the signal is then up sampled back to 48kHz (The BBC acknowledge this is not optimal and hope to maintain at 48kHz with a new play out system some time in 2012). The VHF FM (compressed using an Optimod processor - thanks Noogle) and is low pass filtered at around 15kHz ready for stereo multiplexing and distribution via NICAM. The digital feed for all radio stations other than Radio 3 go through extensive processing and compression suitable for their medium. However Radio 3 is not processed or compressed for any digital platform.

The internet radio for non radio 3 shares the same processing as DTV.

The 48kHz data feed is AGAIN resampled to 44.1kHz and then fed to the Coyopa system, which is the BBC's streaming platform.

The linear digital signal is then shaped to -4dBFS to account for encoder over shoots and then fed to the Fraunhofer encoders which outputs AAC-LC. The codecs and attenuation on the Coyopa system is exactly the same for all web radio stations with the bandwidth being the only variable with Radio 3 using 320kbps AAC-LC.

Simon

Like Like (0 likes)
George Fredrik

June 26, 2012 7:16 PM

Originally Posted by Noogle:

George/Paul -

If you need to access an internet service which has geographic limitations, it is generally necessary to use a proxy computer located in the service's home country.

It is also possible to digitally download iPlayer "Listen Again" programmes, but doing so breaches the BBC's rights agreement with the artist(s).

I leave both problems as an exercise for the reader.

Dear Noogle,

Thanks for the information, though I would never go to that length to get Radio Three from abroad! 

I work on the idea that if it says, "Do not walk on the grass," then I don't!

ATB from George

Like Like (0 likes)

June 26, 2012 7:47 PM

Simon's contributions are always worth having, even if I occasionally disagree with him. I wonder if all parties can agree on a form of words such as:-

"Both analog and digital forms of radio transmission have their own distortions, and some listeners seem more susceptible to being bothered by one than the other. FM technology involves both limited dynamic range and limited bandwidth, yet with a good tuner and a strong signal, is still capable of giving much listening pleasure to many (even though ironically its signal will have passed through several DAC and ADC stages and is therefore not truly analog). Early digital radio via DAB was not of satisfactory quality, but more recent feeds via say, Sky or Virgin, have been much better. Best of all, so far, has been the 320 kb/s Internet radio feed of BBC Radio 3, which for some listeners has exceeded the quality obtainable via FM. Even for those who at this point still prefer their analog feed, this carries great promise of better quality in the future. We haven't heard it yet, but maybe at say 500 kb/s all listeners might agree on the potential superiority of a digital stream."

Like Like (0 likes)
George Fredrik

June 26, 2012 7:59 PM

Dear Goon,

I think that is very well said. It is particularly gratifying that those who may not be able to get a consistent, strong VHF signal are catered for by the new R3 stream. I am over the moon with the Proms coming up in a few weeks!

Thanks for all the useful and wide ranging replies. As usual almost every post has something of value in it!

Now is just to feed this marvelous stream through a better DAC! But that may not happen before the Last Night Of The Proms 2012, though!

ATB from George

Like Like (0 likes)

June 26, 2012 8:07 PM

I do find the BBC R3 320K just so good.   Just listening to it now. 

Seeing Simon's post and Goon525 post that more could come.  Wow!

I don't have a recording deck at the moment.  I would not be too keen on doing something illegal but in the old days I thought it as OK to make tape copies personal use.   Maybe not OK now in the digital world!

Like Like (0 likes)

June 26, 2012 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by dave simpson:

Gents,

Any tips on how a yank can get BBC 3 at HD speeds here in the states using a SB Touch? I'm currently streaming the BBC at a whopping 48 kbps here in Dixie.

My email address is in my profile if it can't be discussed publically.

thanks,

dave 

I don't know if it will work in the states but I used itunes to listen to radio3hd and then right clicked and selected get info - the url is displayed on one of the tabs - copy and then go to mysqueezebox.com - and  add the url to your favourite

Like Like (0 likes)

June 26, 2012 11:12 PM

Thanks Bertie,

I'll try your tip but so far all high bit-rate URLs copied over and inserted revert back to a 48 kbps stream as soon as I start the stream.

The BBC uses a geo-IP based service to identify non-UK users such as myself which is very effective.

regards,

dave 

Like Like (0 likes)
George Fredrik

June 26, 2012 11:17 PM

Surely the beeb [and HM Gov't] should let this go Global.

The British Council [ambassadors for Britain and British culture, which is the most multi-cultural of all] could find the necessary few thousands of pounds to let the World listen to our best music sender in what is apparently probably the best quality. Even our EU colleagues might gain an insight into Britain from such a move, quite as much as the more far flung territories ...

Only a few Warheads wasted in Iraq, or Afghanistan would have paid for this!

ATB from George

Last edited by George Fredrik June 26, 2012 11:25 PM

Like Like (0 likes)

June 26, 2012 11:42 PM

AFAIK the 48k feed is global.  I guess the question is - what is the cost of the additional infrastructure to provide 320k globally?  Also, what percentage of global listeners would appreciate the difference?  Maybe an opportunity for BBC Worldwide?

Like Like (0 likes)

June 26, 2012 11:51 PM

The trouble with Aunte Beeb is that every last rubber band has to be paid for so that they can waste the money on talentless over paid TV presenters at £10.000 a show!

Rant over.

Mike.

Like Like (0 likes)
George Fredrik

June 27, 2012 12:12 AM

Last two posts exactly ,IMO.

Sack the the tone deaf Terry Wogan, and the pointless Jonathan Ross [etc], and get something really important out there. We cannot do Imperial Politics these days, but for the cost of a lot less than the Monarchy or such idiocies as the Olympics, or the Miillenium Dome, the UK can remain a beacon of Civilisation and Culture.

People don't starve to death in the UK, and we should remember our blessings. Those who have abandoned the Old Country may well be coming home from Europe and the wider World before long I suspect. It may not be as great as once, but it will be a lot better than anarchy.

ATB from George

Like Like (0 likes)

June 27, 2012 6:59 AM

When we do update IPV6 and hopefully move away from this antiquated  and incredibly inefficient session based web radio and move to multicast which allows true network 1 to many streaming. The BBC will only need one server and data feed for each streamed channel bandwidth (ie highdef, regular and mobile) that one or everyone in the world can listen to at once. It then becomes a matter of the listener's ISP supporting multicast along with its level 1/2 service provider supporting multicast at the peering points.

This way (assuming the irritating rights management is circumvented) web radio can stream non lossy data or even hidef around the world  and  will make 320kbps AAC look retro and  like the DAB or AM  of web radio.

Just as an illustration some organisations have upgraded thier WAN to support multicast so the Olympcs TV feeds can be broadcast streamed, with out relying on session based video feeds from the BBC or equivalent for each viewer which would otherwise kill thier networks.

Like Like (0 likes)

June 27, 2012 4:51 PM

Thanks Bertie,

I'll try your tip but so far all high bit-rate URLs copied over and inserted revert back to a 48 kbps stream as soon as I start the stream.

The BBC uses a geo-IP based service to identify non-UK users such as myself which is very effective.

regards,

dave 

This can be circumvented by the use of a proxy server and a UPnP server that delivers internet radio like Asset or run the stream on a PC. Try a Google on "Expat Shield" for one example of a free one; it certainly has no problem with the amount of data in the R3 HD stream - I've been using it to watch the BBC TV coverage of the European football champs. It's not at all technical to implement.

Like Like (0 likes)

June 27, 2012 7:46 PM

This thread is quite comical with all the talk about 320 and 500 kbs.  What DAC are people using and what will that deal with??

I listened to George's FM tuner and then BBC Radio 3 HD from his Internet in October/November with himself using his set and we both agreed that was a no contest win for VHF. Yes, the internet based system is good for those that cannot get it on VHF but please get real.

FF

Like Like (0 likes)

June 27, 2012 7:58 PM

Frank - I'm using the nDAC.  This will cope with 728k samples/s at 24 bits stereo, which I recon is about 35Mbit/s.  Should have plenty of headroom for either a 320kbit/s or 500kbit/s feed.

Like Like (0 likes)

June 27, 2012 8:21 PM

Hi Noogle,

Interesting, what about the capability of the other elements in the input chain??  Have you compared with a NAT 01 etc??

Last edited by Frank F June 27, 2012 8:36 PM

Like Like (0 likes)

June 27, 2012 8:37 PM

No.  But I have read MacDonald's "Nutrition Calculator for the Big Mac" and also what goes on in BBC Radio 3 FM's Optimod processor:

"Orban's OPTIMOD series audio processors pull in larger audience shares with a louder, cleaner and more attractive signal. Whether your signal is AM, FM, HF/shortwave, conventional television, DTV, DAB or Webcasting, OPTIMOD processing will shape your sound for maximum reach, appeal and long-term listenability."

Like Like (0 likes)
George Fredrik

June 27, 2012 8:41 PM

It is probably impostant that I should make clear certain facts, because I am afraid that a certain party has become confused about things that have allegedly been heard on my system in my own accommodation.

Before the start of this thread about a fortnight ago, I had never ever used the Radio Three "HD" feed before. Hence the questions earlier in the thread as I attempted to get it to work. No person could possibly have listened to internet Radio Three "HD" feed on my equipment in my house before the start of this thread! 

It is certainly true that I had a very nice Leak Troughline VHF tuner at my previous accommodation, and the quality of the performance of it was very nice with a small roof top aerial.  However, I have never had the old tuner and internet Radio Three "HD" feed working at the same time. It should be clear from my posts at the begining of this thread that I hardly expected internet radio to be particularly good, quite simply because I expected it [without having actually trying it out] to be in the same quality league as DAB.

Thus any person who claims to have made a direct comparison of the new Radio Three "HD" Stream with the normal Radio Three VHF broadcast at my residence on my system is to claiming to have heard a system that was not at the time in existence as reported, in the first place. It is a report that is impossible as the events did not happen. Quite a few friends, however, did listen to music at my previous house using the Leak Troughline to receive VHF. I don't think any were disappointed with the quality.

Of course it is possible that he has heard this comparison at some other place in the UK, but not last October or November as reported, because the Radio Three "HD" stream was off-line for several months after the initial experiment ended with the end of the 2011 BBC Proms season in September of that year.

I had refrained from posting about this before now, but given that a Forum member is claiming that he has heard my set in a comparison that was not ever set up or even possible at the claimed time, I believe that it is important to set the record straight, as this member is using this supposed report as a way of damning the new "HD" feed for Radio Three in a way that is actually untrue. I don't like to make such an allegation, but it is time to face this one off.

Your sincerely George Johnson.

Last edited by George Fredrik June 27, 2012 9:26 PM

Like Like (0 likes)

June 27, 2012 9:35 PM

Hi George,

Not my recollection at all but never mind. We certainly listened to an alleged Radio 3 HD from the computer. It was around the time that the Choral Evensong from Hereford was played and we listened to that from your other tuner??  You can no doubt confirm the date.

I will accept the Whopper!!

FF AKA Certain person

Like Like (0 likes)
George Fredrik

June 27, 2012 9:54 PM

Frank,

You are incorrect in your recollection.

At the time there was no Radio Three on HD. It finished in September 2011 with the end of the BBC Prom Concert Season, and was only re-instated half a year or so later after a campaign to get it back.

At the time myiTunes arrangement had the internet  radio facility disabled. This was only restored in the last fortnight as will become clear when reading through this thread as someone explained to me how to do this.

I think we tried and failed to listen to [Polish] RHM Classics on your laptop through the system, but certainly your laptop was working very badly for sound in any case with DVDs as there was microphone feedback resulting a terrible effect on the Film "Day Of The Jackal." ... I don't think that the internet radio would work at all in the event as the broadband connection was too slow for even a low definition rendition of RFM Classics as it went. I hope that jogs your memory ...

Perhaps that promise we made to each other about not posting on each others' threads was in fact a good idea.  May we re-instate it after this, please?

The time of listening to the Leak was much later, when we listened to Choral Evensong from Hereford Cathedral at the beginning of Lent. I suspect that the date would be easy enough to find as I think you posted about the effect on a thread of mine about the ESL 57s. But you have certainly never heard internet radio work in my system as prior to this new residence. I never had a good enough broadband for it to possibly work!

Yours sincerely, George Johnson

Last edited by George Fredrik June 27, 2012 10:01 PM

Like Like (0 likes)

June 27, 2012 10:12 PM

Radio 3 HD was certainly from your internet and could have been in September as my wife came in October/November and did not come on the earlier trip.  Your supercharged broadband must be truly fine?? 

I think the message is that Forum Members MUST try the options themselves in their own systems.

OK, we do the next part by e-mail,

FF

Like Like (0 likes)
George Fredrik

June 27, 2012 10:23 PM

Perhaps that promise we made to each other about not posting on each others' threads was in fact a good idea.  May we re-instate it after this, please?

From my post, immediately above! Please read my posts thoroughly before replying.

Your memory is failing, and you are confused. Till now I have never used Radio Three HS from the internet. That is what this thread is about! I was not even remotely interested in the notion before.

Please do not try to start an email correspondence with me. There is nothing I have to say to you, so consequently you will be a blocked sender whose communication, naturally enough, will go straight to spam if you do try

Yours sincerely, George Johnson

Like Like (0 likes)

June 27, 2012 10:54 PM

"could have been in September as my wife came in October/November."

Well, I doubt he'll come again, will he George?  You've solved that one old mate, haven't you??

Don, downtown York.

Like Like (0 likes)

June 27, 2012 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Shorter:

Thanks Bertie,

regards,

dave 

This can be circumvented by the use of a proxy server and a UPnP server that delivers internet radio like Asset or run the stream on a PC. Try a Google on "Expat Shield" for one example of a free one; it certainly has no problem with the amount of data in the R3 HD stream - I've been using it to watch the BBC TV coverage of the European football champs. It's not at all technical to implement.

Good idea...I thought about using a proxy last night but didn't have time to research my options. Thanks for the tip. I'll take an in-depth look over the weekend.

Like Like (0 likes)

June 27, 2012 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Frank F:

This thread is quite comical with all the talk about 320 and 500 kbs.  What DAC are people using and what will that deal with??

I listened to George's FM tuner and then BBC Radio 3 HD from his Internet in October/November with himself using his set and we both agreed that was a no contest win for VHF. Yes, the internet based system is good for those that cannot get it on VHF but please get real.

FF

Frank,

This discussion thread may resolve my (and other's) problem for free, quality music and sound so we need it to continue.

I live on the side of a hill with the nearest radio towers over 35 miles away. Distance combined with no line-of-sight means my Nat 101 even with an outdoor aerial gets nothing but one decent NPR station here in the US. (and that one station's broadcast tower just happens to sit on the back side of my hill of course) 

Even though the sound quality is superb with live broadcasts I still have audible levels of hiss louder than background levels and it's all rather moot since my 101s tuner head died. That's a 600 hundred dollar repair bill and a trip across the Atlantic to Salisbury just to get it back for picking up one good but noisy FM station.

Streaming is my only sensible option (moving to a new home just for a more friendly FM locale surely isn't ;-)

regards,

dave

Last edited by dave simpson June 28, 2012 12:05 AM

Like Like (0 likes)
George Fredrik

June 28, 2012 12:08 AM

Dear Dave,

I hope that you find it as satisfactory as I am, now it is set up nicely. 

As I said earlier, I doubt if the case is yet made to actually give up a good VHF set, but decent quality internet radio is now competitive going on my experiences with Radio Three and Radio Four in the high quality streams.

Please do let us know how you get on with it. That will add to the value of this thread!

Best of luck with it from George. 

Last edited by George Fredrik June 28, 2012 12:14 AM

Like Like (0 likes)

June 28, 2012 12:14 AM

Thanks George,

I'm able to pick up 320KB streams from all over the world with my SBT, I'm just trying to maximize the pleasure with BBC 3 in particular as their musical offerings are outstanding IMO. Your thread is the perfect vehicle for me to get assistance!

Thanks for starting this discussion!

dave

Like Like (0 likes)
George Fredrik

June 28, 2012 12:16 AM

ATB from George

Like Like (0 likes)

June 28, 2012 12:25 AM

Forgetting about the 15kHz filter and problems inherent in FM transmission, there are two very different philosophies at play between the two Radio 3 streams:

• On the HD digital stream, the honest attempt by the AAC codec to deliver the best quality sound at the bandwidth
  • On the FM stream, the Optimod's deliberate AGC, compression, limiting and general perversion of the sound to improve "listenability" for portable and car radios

Still, for the worst possible sound quality there's always Classic FM, which has the full Optimod treatment, giving about 10dB of dynamic range.

Like Like (0 likes)

June 28, 2012 12:38 AM

On the matter of which is the lesser of two evils...

I'd rather give up a bit of VHF's sound quality (which only has the potential to outshine streaming if a live broadcasts perhaps) for a huge increase in stations and musical variety with almost silent backgrounds with streaming. The trade-off is a no-brainer in my case.

Like Like (0 likes)
Jono 13

June 28, 2012 7:16 AM

All they need to do now is get Radios 2 and 6 up to the same standard.

Jono

Like Like (0 likes)

June 28, 2012 7:25 AM

Geaorge,

It is vital for you that you read and respond to an e-mail that I will send later today!!

"I doubt if the case is yet made to actually give up a good VHF set, but decent quality internet radio is now competitive going on my experiences with Radio Three and Radio Four in the high quality streams."

I totally agree with this and it is what I have been saying all along.  HD streams are certainly the answer when vhf is poor or the particular station is not available at your location,

FF

Like Like (0 likes)

June 28, 2012 7:26 AM

Jono, I agree, and Radio 6 should have priority as this is not even on VHF FM and sounds dire on DAB.

Then PLEASE let's have some PCM web radio streams, we really deserve better than lossy codecs from the mp3 era. Perhaps a regular 1.4Mbps linear stream for Radio 3 and 320kbps AAC-LC for the other radio stations. Now that would be worth having....

For now at least the Optimod  processor doesn't audibly compress Radio 3, unlike the spoilt Classic FM (in fact would be interested to see what  Optimod does on R3.. From what i can see on the web there is subtle compression on BBC3 for different times of day and programming, but genereally provides 22dB of dynamic range.. which for Radio is pretty good and far more than most consumer radios can handle), and as such BBC Radio 3 on VHF FM can be jaw dropping on live concerts.. I assume the Optimod is switched off to minimum compression ...Roll on the Proms... 

PS, just been looking into the Frauenhofer AAC white papers and unless the AAC is used in 'line mode' normalisation and varying degrees of compression are part of the encoding algorithm process. I have yet to find out what parameters are used on the BBC system... It would appear the codec's DSP does what the Optimod does for the radio feeds. I wonder if it's because of the inbuilt AAC processing that the BBC don't do any Pre processing. The digital signal is already somewhat downgraded by the current Mutiple upsamples and down samples in the chain, and so care is perhaps applied to keep further processiNg to a minimum.

Last edited by Simon-in-Suffolk June 28, 2012 8:16 AM

Like Like (0 likes)

June 28, 2012 8:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bertie Norman:

Gents,

Any tips on how a yank can get BBC 3 at HD speeds here in the states using a SB Touch? I'm currently streaming the BBC at a whopping 48 kbps here in Dixie.

My email address is in my profile if it can't be discussed publically.

thanks,

dave 

I don't know if it will work in the states but I used itunes to listen to radio3hd and then right clicked and selected get info - the url is displayed on one of the tabs - copy and then go to mysqueezebox.com - and  add the url to your favourite

The very best way is to lease or own a server in a uk data centre and run an open VPN server on that. It uses ssh and is exactly as if you are in the UK with a bit of extra delay. The next best way is a commercial vpn service. Just web search for VPN uk. Make sure the service supports ssh preferably with no proxy (some uk streaming services check for a proxy which is in itself not secure and can be traced to the proxy user) open VPN does all this. I use the really great Velocity VPN user interface which is well worth the 6 US dollars after the trial period expires, there are free alternatives which I don't think are as good.

Once you connect the VPN, start lms and check advanced- information and you should see the ip address of LMS  is the VPN address in the uk instead of your local ISP. The uk streamer sees a uk registered ip address and obviously cannot see your ip address because all signaling used by the vpn connection is strongly encrypted.

Like Like (0 likes)

June 28, 2012 9:06 AM

Just checked my dates from the flight tickets and my memory is correct.  

The visit was made near the end of September and we used the BBC web site to access Radio 3 HD.

FF

Like Like (0 likes)

June 28, 2012 9:38 AM

Gentlemen, remember that Radio 3 was streaming on the internet before the BBC introduced the 'HD' 320 kps mp3 option. If a wireless connection is used then wires can't get crossed.

Like Like (0 likes)

June 28, 2012 11:05 AM

It's very difficult for the rest of us to know where the truth lies in this extraordinary exchange between Frank and George. But even if they DID hear the R3 HD stream whenever it was last autumn, does the fact that it was transmitted via George's PC - which inevitably has a number of sound quality reduction devices incorporated - mean that it wouldn't in any case compare with the SQ attainable by those of us streaming directly into a Naim device, in my case an SU?

Like Like (0 likes)

June 28, 2012 11:11 AM

At the time there was no Radio Three on HD. It finished in September 2011 with the end of the BBC Prom Concert Season, and was only re-instated half a year or so later after a campaign to get it back.

George, I think you are getting your years mixed up. It was after the experiment during the last week of the 2010 Proms that the HD feed was not available for several months before reappearing. It's certainly been continuously available during the period since the 2011 Proms.

Chris

Like Like (0 likes)

June 28, 2012 11:14 AM

What exchange? I think that we are both trying to help Forum members with access to Radio 3 wherever they are. 

The truth is that you should make your own comparison and take into account your own access to Radio 3 (or 2, 6 etc) via the various methods that are available to you.

FF

Like Like (0 likes)

June 28, 2012 2:18 PM

Originally Posted by Goon525:

It's very difficult for the rest of us to know where the truth lies in this extraordinary exchange between Frank and George. But even if they DID hear the R3 HD stream whenever it was last autumn, does the fact that it was transmitted via George's PC - which inevitably has a number of sound quality reduction devices incorporated - mean that it wouldn't in any case compare with the SQ attainable by those of us streaming directly into a Naim device, in my case an SU?

I can't remember what DAC George has, but assuming he was using an asynchronous interface (USB or re-clocked SPDIF) the PC wouldn't have made any difference. 

Like Like (0 likes)

ClosedAdditional replies and votes are not permitted on this topic.