Best three box Naim system

While it may not be the "best" 3 box Naim system, the CDX2, Supernait and Hicap has always been one that I have enjoyed immensely and felt an excellent and complementary combination. It's one where you listen and before you know it whole albums have been played and hours have passed and you wonder just how much better things can really get from this. With the right speakers I think I could be happy with this simple 3 box system for a long time. 

Richard Dane posted:

While it may not be the "best" 3 box Naim system, the CDX2, Supernait and Hicap has always been one that I have enjoyed immensely and felt an excellent and complementary combination. It's one where you listen and before you know it whole albums have been played and hours have passed and you wonder just how much better things can really get from this. With the right speakers I think I could be happy with this simple 3 box system for a long time. 

Richard agreed but wouldn’t a CDX2/202/200dr be even more so?

Problem with a CDX2 is so much better with an XPS,  XPS brings far more SQ to the party than does a HiCap on the Supernait,  so I would opt for CDX2/XPS into Supernait to keep it in the 3 box category. 

However my top choice with a Supernait would be NDX with the FM/DAB module - & as thats a 2 box its a tossup over a HC or XPS or a Hugo for the 3rd box.    

Chris Bell posted:

I'm running a NDX/UnitiQute2/NAP100 into ProAc Tablet 10's at my office.  Sound is very impressive... so good I could easily make it my main system.   

What happened to your Klipsch's? I'd say my office setup of UQ1 and KEF Ls50's (plus a set of FMC's before hand) gives me a thrill every time I hear it. Might add on an amp at some point but for office listening it would be overkill. Or try a sub since the UQ so nicely has an output for one. Or just K.I.S.S. 

Chris Bell posted:

The Klipsch's were a summertime fling... ultimately they went back to the online retailer.  The ProAc's are so impressive, everyone who has visited my office has been blown away.  (Naim guys and mortals).  

I get my 10’s tomorrow to join a 272/250DR front...an..tici...pation...

G

Richard Dane posted:

I think that the NAC202/NAP200 would quickly gain a NAPSC so doesn't qualify here.  However, I do think that the CDX2 and Supernait are a great pairing - character of the amp nicely complementing that of the player. 

Happy with my 3rd SuperNait and my 4th or 5th CDX2, I can't but agree... And If I can add a personal impression, the CDX2 – especially without an XPS – has a touch of gaieté which marries the SN's mild Teutonic-ness at perfection. Let's say like Bruno Walter accompanying Sylvie Vartan..

GraemeH posted:
Chris Bell posted:

The Klipsch's were a summertime fling... ultimately they went back to the online retailer.  The ProAc's are so impressive, everyone who has visited my office has been blown away.  (Naim guys and mortals).  

G

In for a treat Graeme, had my Tab 10 for a few months now on a 272/250 and like Chris everytime people pop round for a cup of tea they are amazed at the sound these speakers produce, last speaker I will ever buy.

Chris Bell posted:

I'm running a NDX/UnitiQute2/NAP100 into ProAc Tablet 10's at my office.  Sound is very impressive... so good I could easily make it my main system.   

It must be the Proacs. The Tablette 10 Signature would be very interesting to watch. 

GraemeH posted:
Chris Bell posted:

G

Graeme, 

The 10's like to be up against the wall and a good set of sand-filled stands are highly recommended.  They work best in a small room.  They play pretty loud, but very deep bass notes can make the woofer bottom out.  

Can't wait to hear what you think!

CB

james n posted:
ryder. posted:

It must be the Proacs. The Tablette 10 Signature would be very interesting to watch. 

Is there a Signature version coming ?

Stewart Tyler posted on another forum several months ago about them launching the Signature version of the Tablette 10 sometime this year. Other than that there isn't any news or coverage on this upcoming new model which is quite perplexing. 

ryder. posted:
james n posted:
ryder. posted:

Stewart Tyler posted on another forum several months ago about them launching the Signature version of the Tablette 10 sometime this year. Other than that there isn't any news or coverage on this upcoming new model which is quite perplexing. 

Thanks Ryder. Think i just found that thread via a quick google 

Chris Bell posted:
GraemeH posted:
Chris Bell posted:

G

Graeme, 

The 10's like to be up against the wall and a good set of sand-filled stands are highly recommended.  They work best in a small room.  They play pretty loud, but very deep bass notes can make the woofer bottom out.  

CB

Mass loaded Custom Design FS103 (recommended) and they will be hard against a solid wall...here’s hoping they work well!

G

ryder. posted:
james n posted:
ryder. posted:

I certainly hope a forthcoming Tablette 10 signature will be singlewire, for now this is one of my main reasons not buying them

Haim Ronen posted:

Turn of the century (purchased in December 1999) sweet trio olive boxes which are still with me unchanged:

Nait 3, 3.5 player, Flatcap

Similarly I had a Nait 2 , 3.5 CD and Hicap from 2000 to 2012 . It was superb into Dynaudio Audience 50s then Neat Motive 2s . It wasn't until I bought the ND5XS streamer and started to read this forum that the changes began ......

The Nait 2 remains . 

pete T15 posted:
Haim Ronen posted:

Turn of the century (purchased in December 1999) sweet trio olive boxes which are still with me unchanged:

Nait 3, 3.5 player, Flatcap

Similarly I had a Nait 2 , 3.5 CD and Hicap from 2000 to 2012 . It was superb into Dynaudio Audience 50s then Neat Motive 2s . It wasn't until I bought the ND5XS streamer and started to read this forum that the changes began ......

The Nait 2 remains . 

A cautionary tale on the dangers of using this forum and the more potent danger actually listening to what its members have to say.

GraemeH posted:
Chris Bell posted:
GraemeH posted:
Chris Bell posted:

G

Graeme, 

CB

Mass loaded Custom Design FS103 (recommended) and they will be hard against a solid wall...here’s hoping they work well!

G

Should be fine I use mass loaded Custom Design RS 303 around 40kg each with my Tab 10s

One of the popular hi-fi mags has a review of the Nova and the reviewer comments that he couldn't easily discern the difference in sound between the Nova and his usual Supernait amplifier (which he cites as praise indeed). The Nova would save quite a few boxes!

Richard Dane posted:

I think that the NAC202/NAP200 would quickly gain a NAPSC so doesn't qualify here.  However, I do think that the CDX2 and Supernait are a great pairing - character of the amp nicely complementing that of the player. 

do you mean sn2

Not at all Mark.  It's a fine, nicely balanced system and one that I have enjoyed immensely at many shows, and on many occasions doing demos both at the factory and overseas dealers.  But, I just know that a NAPSC would find it's way in there almost immediately, so three boxes quickly becomes four.  

Oh, OK, three and a half then...

Add Reply

Likes (1)
a.diabelli