Black Cat Silverstar 75 Digital BNC Cable

I was thinking of using a decent BNC cable between transport and dac and have come up with Black Cat Silverstar 75 which seems to have received very good reviews and was wondering if anyone is using it and what they thought of it

CD5XS via Black Cat Silverstar 75 Digi Cable to Naim Dac via Grey 5 Pin to Supernait 2 via NACA5 to Living Voice Auditorium

Original Post

Nina, I don't know the Black Cat cable, but the Naim DAC was designed with the Naim DC1, so that would probably be my top recommendation.  For all that you can get some decent Canare 75ohm BNC digital leads these days for beer money and in my experience the performance is as good or better than many expensive alternatives..

I have a friend who purchased the version of black cat digital cable before this current version. He used it between to his Rega DAC feeding an original Naim Nait. 

The system sounded amazing to me. 

Here in the US the Black Cat is less than half the price of the DC1 ($550). So I'd go Black Cat. 

Richard Dane posted:

Nina, I don't know the Black Cat cable, but the Naim DAC was designed with the Naim DC1, so that would probably be my top recommendation.  For all that you can get some decent Canare 75ohm BNC digital leads these days for beer money and in my experience the performance is as good or better than many expensive alternatives..

I used a Canare 75ohm BNC in place of the DC1 and it was brilliant. Around £25 from a well known auction site I recall.

G

GraemeH posted:

I used a Canare 75ohm BNC in place of the DC1 and it was brilliant. Around £25 from a well known auction site I recall.

G

Was it this one Graeme?

Moderated Post:  Nina, please refrain from posting links to sales/auction sites.  Thanks.

Well I started this morning and listened for 30minutes and then put the DC1 on, did not notice much difference. In putting the cable on I knocked my ethernet switch off the hifi stand. So after an hour of listening, I decided to put the ethernet switch back in place, all the music stopped. Fumbled around and realised the Dc1 had become disconnected. I had not locked the BNC connector in place properly. So I need to do the A to B comparison again. But I feel it sounds better now it’s properly connected, but I could be mistaken.

Does anyone on the forum know if I should expect any burn in improvement as this is a new cable on loan?

Well here goes, I played some Goldfrapp, Leonard Cohen, Agnes Obel. I went back and forth between the Canare and DC1 a few times. The DC1 is better, with a clearer, better defined edge to notes, and a more forward soundstage. Is it 10 times better than the Canare, like the price is, no.......But I will be keeping this cable.

i also then compared streaming from the Core by Upnp to my Nova, it was again better, in much the same way as described above. My dealer lent me this cable, and I guess I could have borrowed others. So Nina, if you can borrow that would be what I would do, if not I don,t think you would be disappointed with the Naim DC1. The saving grace is the Canare cost so little, I can write off the cost without much of a worry.

Gazza posted:

Well here goes, I played some Goldfrapp, Leonard Cohen, Agnes Obel. I went back and forth between the Canare and DC1 a few times. The DC1 is better, with a clearer, better defined edge to notes, and a more forward soundstage. Is it 10 times better than the Canare, like the price is, no.......But I will be keeping this cable.

i also then compared streaming from the Core by Upnp to my Nova, it was again better, in much the same way as described above. My dealer lent me this cable, and I guess I could have borrowed others. So Nina, if you can borrow that would be what I would do, if not I don,t think you would be disappointed with the Naim DC1. The saving grace is the Canare cost so little, I can write off the cost without much of a worry.

That's good to know Gazza

I just received my Canare so will try it out tonight and see but would consider the DC1 in the near future

OK, when you do let us all know........always something to learn. I was invited by someone from the Audio east show and listened to their system. It was a Rega RP8, LFD integrated amp ( built or designed in Clacton, Essex) and Shahinian Arc speakers with max Townsend cables. The speakers I thought were Neat  Iota,s, but are probably even smaller. What a lovely system, very musical, very sweet, and the system disappeared to let the music flow.

Best to keep an open mind. Enjoy your weekend and listening

Gazza

I couldn't help myself so I've ordered the Black Cat Silverstar 75

I belong to another forum and the cable comes very highly recommended and was described as "last cable you'll buy"

I will let everyone know what I think of it and I have it on a 10 day sale or return so it's a no-brainer really, and cheaper than a new DC1

Gazza posted:

Thank you, give it some time and give us your next thoughts. I hope to return the DC1 and put the money to a Fraim instead. All the cable mess is a priority for me at the moment, asi have an AV stand doing everything.

Gazza I thought you were liking the DC1 cable so are you now returning it?

Yes I will buy one, but with cables falling out and trying to fit in with the PIoneer plasma etc. I think if I can get an ex demo Fraim and put that on the other side of the fire place and move all the HIfi to my other power sockets, it’s a better solution. I can still play Unpnp or digital BNC and have time to take stock of your thoughts, or you never know when I return it I may get a Black Friday deal......

I've had the Black Cat in place for a couple of days now

My overriding thought is that it sounds very 'analogue', however I'm not very good at describing what I hear but that's the best I can come up with at the moment

Smooth, detailed and just lets the music flow very nicely

I don't know if that helps anyone     

Returned my DC1 today and collected my much more expensive Fraim system ,more shelves to follow. However, I still feel the Uniti Core spdif sounded better than Upnp with the DC1. Not sure if this is because it’s not going thru much different circuits before the DAC. So interested in your feedback over the next few weeks, this is still on my radar.

Gaz

Gazza posted:

Returned my DC1 today and collected my much more expensive Fraim system ,more shelves to follow. However, I still feel the Uniti Core spdif sounded better than Upnp with the DC1. Not sure if this is because it’s not going thru much different circuits before the DAC. So interested in your feedback over the next few weeks, this is still on my radar.

Gaz

Hope you love your new Fraim Gazza

The Black Cat cable is sounding better by the day

I will leave further feedback over the coming days/weeks

But bare in mind I am really useless when I try to describe 'sound'...  

So I am I. Some of the guys on the forum are just brilliant at relaying the sense of wonder at new musical experiences. Just between us, tongue tied lesser poets, I think I can settle for a big thumbs up or down in a few weeks time, enjoy.

Gaz

Well just between us Gazza I can certainly give the Black Cat cable a thumbs up so far.... that might grow to a big thumbs up over the days/weeks though, we will see  

I also have been listening to Goldfrapp, Leonard Cohen and some Agnes Obel... 

Add Reply

Likes (0)