Bowers & Wilkins 804 D3 with NAIM

B&W users here seem few and far between. I have always used B&W with my Naim system. My first Naim dealer in Scotland was a big fan and although I tried several alternatives, I ended up with 803's. I only recently changed to 802D3. Again after listening to 7 alternatives. The 804 you ask about, although I did not demo these, should be on a par or better than my old 803s. Have a listen and decide if you can.

Dave 

Bodger posted:

B&W users here seem few and far between. I have always used B&W with my Naim system. My first Naim dealer in Scotland was a big fan and although I tried several alternatives, I ended up with 803's. I only recently changed to 802D3. Again after listening to 7 alternatives. The 804 you ask about, although I did not demo these, should be on a par or better than my old 803s. Have a listen and decide if you can.

Dave 

Thanks for the reply Dave.

i already have them at home, demoed them with rotel, classe, hegel, devialet and naim.

i ended up buying a naim system.

i was curious to change some impressions with someone who own a similar system, impressions regarding the room size and naim set up including cables.

thanks again!

alex

Last year, I upgraded my 804D2 speakers, and had an all-day demo session listening to 804D3, 803D3 and 802D3 speakers.  The 804D3 were definitely a lift up from my old 804D2 speakers (more enjoyable with better staging, depth & resolution), however for me, the 803D3s were the route I finally selected (there is a thread on this with pictures).

For the price however, and to these ears (and with my system) the 804D3s are a great speaker at that price point, and I'd heartily recommend an audition (if you have a Naim and B&W 800 dealer near you).

Good placement and either NACA5 or super lumina cable will show them off to their best.

Hope helpful.

ATB. George.

GeeJay posted:

Last year, I upgraded my 804D2 speakers, and had an all-day demo session listening to 804D3, 803D3 and 802D3 speakers.  The 804D3 were definitely a lift up from my old 804D2 speakers (more enjoyable with better staging, depth & resolution), however for me, the 803D3s were the route I finally selected (there is a thread on this with pictures).

For the price however, and to these ears (and with my system) the 804D3s are a great speaker at that price point, and I'd heartily recommend an audition (if you have a Naim and B&W 800 dealer near you).

Good placement and either NACA5 or super lumina cable will show them off to their best.

Hope helpful.

ATB. George.

803 D3 is over my budget, so i was going for the 804 D3 plus that i assume they need a considerable room size (i have only 30 square metres), from what i read before purchasing my 804 D3, they are fitting better in a room of 30 sqm size. What is the size of your room and what naim gears are you using with your 802 D3? What cables?

Hi GinelAlex,

Yes, although I went for the 803D3, I was trying to get across that I have listened extensively to the 804D3 and it's a lot of speaker for the money!   Heartily recommended.

I thoroughly recommend NACA5 cable, although the Super Lumina adds significant sound benefits (when budget allows).

If you click on my avatar above, you'll see the systems that I have used over the years with my previous 804D2, and if you're interested in my speaker upgrade journey, the post is here (link).  My room dimensions are also in that thread.

ATB. George.

GeeJay posted:

Hi GinelAlex,

Yes, although I went for the 803D3, I was trying to get across that I have listened extensively to the 804D3 and it's a lot of speaker for the money!   Heartily recommended.

I thoroughly recommend NACA5 cable, although the Super Lumina adds significant sound benefits (when budget allows).

If you click on my avatar above, you'll see the systems that I have used over the years with my previous 804D2, and if you're interested in my speaker upgrade journey, the post is here (link).  My room dimensions are also in that thread.

ATB. George.

Thanks George, i will take a look when i'm home.

ginelalex posted:

Hello, does anyone here have the 804 D3 paired with his Naim system?

Hi, I've just ordered the 804 d3 after having listened to them for a couple of hours in my home. My living room is very big, 54 meters square, and problably the 803 d3 is the better choice, but the budget is finished for now and the 804 d3 is at least two steps more from my actual totem forest. My naim setup is Hdx + N-dac + PS555DR, Nac 282 + S-capDR + Nap300DR, nacA5. Fantastic sound, really good dynamics, fine grain, large and deep sound-stage really in focus. For my setup a great loudspeaker.

Nice setup, congrats for your new purchase, i'm sure they sounds great with your naim system.

for the moment, in my 30 sqm room i stay with the 804 D3, NAP 250DR and NAC 272, Power Line mains for both, SL din to xlr interconnect and SL speaker cables.

in the near future i want to add XPS DR to my 272 and this will be all until 2018..    next year, depending of the budget, i will try to change the 250 DR with a 300 DR and the XPS DR with the 555PS DR. i will stay with the 272 because i use only streamed music via TIDAL.

ginelalex posted:

Nice setup, congrats for your new purchase, i'm sure they sounds great with your naim system.

for the moment, in my 30 sqm room i stay with the 804 D3, NAP 250DR and NAC 272, Power Line mains for both, SL din to xlr interconnect and SL speaker cables.

in the near future i want to add XPS DR to my 272 and this will be all until 2018..    next year, depending of the budget, i will try to change the 250 DR with a 300 DR and the XPS DR with the 555PS DR. i will stay with the 272 because i use only streamed music via TIDAL.

I'm sure your 250dr will be able to drive perfectly the 804 d3, but of course, the 300 Dr will do it better ); . Your update program looks interesting.

imaginator posted:
ginelalex posted:

I'm sure your 250dr will be able to drive perfectly the 804 d3, but of course, the 300 Dr will do it better ); . Your update program looks interesting.

Agree with you, thanks

ginelalex posted:
803 D3 is over my budget, so i was going for the 804 D3 plus that i assume they need a considerable room size (i have only 30 square metres), from what i read before purchasing my 804 D3, they are fitting better in a room of 30 sqm size. What is the size of your room and what naim gears are you using with your 802 D3? What cables?

Alex, you might have that the wrong way round. Yes a bigger speaker will probably do a better job in a bigger room compared to a smaller speaker. That's not to say that a big speaker needs a big room. Lots of other variables of course but I'd rather have large speaker, small room, than the other way round.

I have not tried mine with naca5 as I bought SL before I changed the speakers. I will give it a go sometime just out of curiosity.

Dave

Bodger posted:
ginelalex posted:

Alex, you might have that the wrong way round. Yes a bigger speaker will probably do a better job in a bigger room compared to a smaller speaker. That's not to say that a big speaker needs a big room. Lots of other variables of course but I'd rather have large speaker, small room, than the other way round.

I have not tried mine with naca5 as I bought SL before I changed the speakers. I will give it a go sometime just out of curiosity.

Dave

Understood your point of view

i had naca5 for only one week, until i demoed the SL, after few days i packed the naca5 and took them to the dealer + the money for the SL

To answer your original questions.

Yes running the  804 D3's here with 52/Supercap/4 x 135's running in a room of about 28 Sq Mtrs.   Cable is NACA5  (I'm guessing I made the right choice with the cable as it's been buried into the concrete of the floor since 2005 so I don't have  an easy option to change it).

The speakers work great in a room this size.

Ginealex,

Currently have a pair of 804D3 speakers on home dem for a week . They are a great speaker.

I ideally needed speakers that work  close to a rear wall and was a bit concerned about positioning as a minimum distance of 50cm from rear wall is recommended but they are working great at 18cm. If I can get the CEO to like the tweeter on top, which is the only thing she doesn't like, I will be placing an order with my dealer soon  

few years ago (back in 2010) it was generally frowned by the forum members to run Naim amps with B&W speakers (B&W being perceived as boring, oversatured, too much treble and bass and generally killing the Naim sound) , nice to see it is now ok.

What changed though... .. One thing has changed for sure, B&W 800 series is a lot more expensive than it was back in 2010.

For the record I used to own the 805S speakers, and well.. I do miss them.

analogmusic posted:

few years ago (back in 2010) it was generally frowned by the forum members to run Naim amps with B&W speakers (B&W being perceived as boring, oversatured, too much treble and bass and generally killing the Naim sound) , nice to see it is now ok.

Never really understood that mentality to be honest - if it sounds better it is better.    Probably one of the reasons I don't read hifi magazines and their reviews preferring to make up my own mind.

You're right on the costs..  my mate has 804 D1's and he paid a fraction of what the D3's were.   

Iron Cobra posted:

Ginealex,

Currently have a pair of 804D3 speakers on home dem for a week . They are a great speaker.

I ideally needed speakers that work  close to a rear wall and was a bit concerned about positioning as a minimum distance of 50cm from rear wall is recommended but they are working great at 18cm. If I can get the CEO to like the tweeter on top, which is the only thing she doesn't like, I will be placing an order with my dealer soon  

Glad to hear you like them, i'm very satisfied about mine

hope you will be lucky in convincing your CEO about the tweeters, good luck!

My 804 D2s aren't bright, although my room is nicely damped wth interlined curtains. My dealer doesnt sell Kudos because they sound too bright in his (admittedly rather lively) demo room so I'm assuming B&Ws are less bright. 

I agree the D2s are a huge improvement over their predecessors, as they should be at the price. I haven't heard the D3s as I'm worried I might not want to give them back. I'd like to step up to 803, but they would be too big for my room.

Keith