CD555

Hungryhalibut posted:

Ah, but you didn't love it enough to want to keep it. Therein lies the problem: pay £12,000, take it out of the shop and it's worth £5,000.

So the answer is to buy it secondhand for £5,000. Then five years later it's still worth £5,000. Factor into that a service and it would still represent a reasonable 'investment'.

Clive B posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

Ah, but you didn't love it enough to want to keep it. Therein lies the problem: pay £12,000, take it out of the shop and it's worth £5,000.

So the answer is to buy it secondhand for £5,000. Then five years later it's still worth £5,000. Factor into that a service and it would still represent a reasonable 'investment'.

I see a Investment as something that generates wealth!  Like most cars, hi-fi may generate much happiness but is unlikely to generate wealth. Let's avoid surcomming to marketing think. 

Paul

Apply the same rule when buying hi-fi that you should when gambling - only spend (bet) what you can afford to lose. Whilst buying second hand can save a lot of money, it means foregoing the dealer support / installation services that many of us appreciate, as well as the warranty that can be very reassuring. 

I have one or two friends who love to tell of their financial coups, but are surprisingly reticent when it comes to the disasters!! Whilst we all like to get good value for our hard earned cash, getting too hung up on price and depreciation only detracts from enjoyment.

Tim

Paul Quigley ie posted:
Clive B posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

I see a Investment as something that generates wealth!  Like most cars, hi-fi may generate much happiness but is unlikely to generate wealth. Let's avoid surcomming to marketing think. 

Paul

'Investment' is often used in the context of personal happiness, rather than the more literal investment to make money. So let's avoid succumbing to being over literal. 

The point I was trying to make was that buying a CD player (or car, watch or whatever) for £15,000 when you think it may be worth £3,000 in five years time is different to buying it when you think it may be worth £10,000 in five years time. When the 555 was introduced it was more like the latter than the former. So it's a different sort of investment decision, where the cost per play is now significantly higher, and is influenced by how much you value the enjoyment from listening to your CDs. Of course, if you simply buy it and intend to keep it, like PB said above, it really doesn't matter. 

Paul Quigley ie posted:

Paul

I see a good investment as one which generates wealth, alas I've made many which didn't. 

.sjb

don't fool yourselves, hi-fi is like a car, it is not an investment

just buy it to enjoy it.

it could only be viewed as an "investment" if it stops you spending even more money, on other things like sports cars.

Hi-fi gives me immense joy, a car, well, that is money down the drain.

rsch posted:
jon honeyball posted:
rsch posted:

Sorry, a bit of topic but depreciation is much more severe with certain cars, let alone maintenance costs and taxes. On the other hand there are few exceptions way better than Blue Chips. A friend of mine living in Bruxelles, early last year bought a Porsche Boxter 3.8 Spyder which is now  worth at least 20% more than original RP.

Regards

Roberto

hard to see why -- the world is not short of boxters, and they still make them.

No, Boxter 3.8 Spyder has a unique bodystyle, it's fitted with 3,8 engine from 991 Carrera S 375 PS plus GT model chassis parts. A total of 2500 has been built from late 2015/early 2016. I regret myself having swapped a Lotus Exige 260 Cup in 2014 for a lemon of Evora , today it would be worth more than what i payed in UK from Lipscomb Lotus in 2009.

Regards

Roberto

There will always be a bigger better faster porsche coming along soon enough.

Well, I guess we're nearing an end to the the OP's question:

Any logic in buying a Brand New CD555?

It's been nearly a week, when Manu dropped the bomb:

""MANUTRADE MEMBER

4/10/17 11:47 AM

Sorry to break the party but Naim no longer make CD555, so no chances to get a brand new one...""

Have we gone off on a tangent! 

I think the best investment one can make, is to invest in himself!

Then he can partake in the finer things in Life!

Nice homes, sport cars, and Naim!

Allante93!

Dealer demo stock has always struck me as a good compromise. Pay a bit more than open market used price in exchange for warranty and support.

If I were flush with cash (as opposed to saving every penny I can for retirement in a few short years), then splurging on a new, big ticket audio item would be a lot of fun. In fact, part of why I visit here is to live vicariously through the audio purchases of other members!

jon honeyball posted:
rsch posted:
jon honeyball posted:
rsch posted:

Sorry, a bit of topic but depreciation is much more severe with certain cars, let alone maintenance costs and taxes. On the other hand there are few exceptions way better than Blue Chips. A friend of mine living in Bruxelles, early last year bought a Porsche Boxter 3.8 Spyder which is now  worth at least 20% more than original RP.

Regards

Roberto

hard to see why -- the world is not short of boxters, and they still make them.

No, Boxter 3.8 Spyder has a unique bodystyle, it's fitted with 3,8 engine from 991 Carrera S 375 PS plus GT model chassis parts. A total of 2500 has been built from late 2015/early 2016. I regret myself having swapped a Lotus Exige 260 Cup in 2014 for a lemon of Evora , today it would be worth more than what i payed in UK from Lipscomb Lotus in 2009.

Regards

Roberto

There will always be a bigger better faster porsche coming along soon enough.

991 Turbo is faster than 991 R but the former has big depreciation the latter was sold out from the start and worth now 3x its original RP

Regards

Roberto

Nothing like a bit of stereotyping. We were pootling though Guildford on the A3 on Saturday and a Porsche driver was joining from the left. We kept going at 50, which as anyone who drives through Guildford knows is the speed limit, couldn't move to the right as the traffic was heavy. What should the joining car do? Slow down of course, and slip in behind us. But no, they zoom in front and make a wanker sign at us. What were we supposed to do? Disappear? Who is the wanker? Not me guv. It's the pillock in the Porsche, with the very small penis. Maybe one day he'll meet a tree and the roads will be a safer and nicer place. 

I recently sold my supercars. Way too much traffic in uk to make them a viable way of getting around at any speed faster than my audis. 

Which is why I have four motorbikes now. And 205bhp on a ducati is a whole different level of real world performance to any supercar 

Yeah, I think that when I am driving my turbo ......triple in traffic mate, i think "should be riding my 2 wheeler"......Giant ......12 speed pushy, or there abouts .......its red you know, goes as fast as you can pedal plus a bit more apparent speed courtesy of the paint colour.  It's true, Doppler effect, google it. :-)

On a slightly more serious note, if you want to own a supercar move to Tasmania.  Very limited traffic once out of town, twisty roads and semi-English weather.  Not sure if they have a Naim dealer. You might need a short flight to Melbourne for that privilege. You can google that one as well.  Try " Targa Tasmania".  I'm sure the local Matilda servo will even do an oil change on a Mclaren if you asked nicely.

Hungryhalibut posted:

Nothing like a bit of stereotyping. We were pootling though Guildford on the A3 on Saturday and a Porsche driver was joining from the left. We kept going at 50, which as anyone who drives through Guildford knows is the speed limit, couldn't move to the right as the traffic was heavy. What should the joining car do? Slow down of course, and slip in behind us. But no, they zoom in front and make a wanker sign at us. What were we supposed to do? Disappear? Who is the wanker? Not me guv. It's the pillock in the Porsche, with the very small penis. Maybe one day he'll meet a tree and the roads will be a safer and nicer place. 

For every Porsche driver HH there is an idiot in a Ford ST that does that kind of thing. And without the car he would still have been an idiot   And no I haven't got a Porsche.  

The Strat (Fender) posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

For every Porsche driver HH there is an idiot in a Ford ST that does that kind of thing. And without the car he would still have been an idiot   And no I haven't got a Porsche.  

You're not wrong, but I think most of us know where HH is coming from. There does seem to be a correlation between those who can afford to run the top end performance cars and an arrogance that typifies their driving habits. Just because some who drive such cars are pleasant, courteous, well mannered drivers doesn't mean we can't stereotype on the basis of how the majority behave.

I personally love a bit of non PC behaviour in a forum that does have a tendency to take itself a bit too seriously!

Tim

james n posted:

So we've gone from the death of the CD555 to Surrey's lacking in the trouser dept (according to HH), Porsche drivers in 5 pages. 

Nice work chaps 

Maybe the thread drift is indicative of lack of real concern with none or not many serious potential CD555 customers gnashing & wailing at the loss,  ..............    maybe Naim got it right.

Re Posch drivers,  have to agree all & everything they say about them.   I've been tared with the BMW brush more times than enough.    Only one thing worse is a Smart car driver,  how come they are all members of the Centre Lane 50mph Owners Club

Arrogance and bad driving habits pretty much applies at every segment of cars but i think that in our old Europe, you hardly see a Ferrari or Porsche (Sports cars, not the Chelsea tractors) driven such way.

Howerver i' also extend  the concept at other levels of  social life. For example, yesterday me and wife did a little boat tour on Lake Como and i found more and more peple pushing and possibly walking on our shoes during embarkment (especially a group of Philppines), people  screaming and looking at junk videos on their phones instead of staring at the panorama etc.

Regards

Robero

Allante93 posted:

Well, I guess we're nearing an end to the the OP's question:

Any logic in buying a Brand New CD555?

It's been nearly a week, when Manu dropped the bomb:

""MANUTRADE MEMBER

4/10/17 11:47 AM

Sorry to break the party but Naim no longer make CD555, so no chances to get a brand new one...""

Have we gone off on a tangent! 

I think the best investment one can make, is to invest in himself!

Then he can partake in the finer things in Life!

Nice homes, sport cars, and Naim!

Allante93!

Perhaps, The Padded Cell!

Add Reply