CD555

The Strat (Fender) posted:

Emre - it might be worth asking if they could still supply one.  When I picked up my CDS3 from service today the dealer said they hadn't sold a CD555 for 3 years so Naim's decision is based on harsh reality.  

Mine was a long term saving dream , better this was, I wish they come up with a super cd player with nds Pricing! 

I bought CD555 in 2014, exited the CDS2,  and later added a second DR 555PS.  Last year I added a Super Sarum Aray interconnect to the 552.   Last night I was showing off the Verdier Kleos SL ( via Superline Supercap DR via Hiline ) with an old friend.   I pulled out Kind of Blue on 45 RPM.   We were also playing a Gold CD version of Kind of Blue to compare.    I had never done this demo before.  He and my wife (of 35 years, possessed of hypersensitive hearing) both preferred the CD555 to the KOB 45 on vinyl.   We might debate the point, but suffice it to say, the CD555 is no ordinary CD player.  I cannot foresee the day we will sell ours.  The Sarum Super Aray shows it at its best, too.  I never thought I would spend this much on an interconnect.

jfritzen posted:
Alba1320 posted:

Naim's 'Product History' page has been updated:

There seem to be some more discontinued products now, among them many products from the XS range: 152XS, 172XS, XP5 XS, 155XS, NAT05XS. Spring cleanup in the Naim product portfolio?

maybe the new uniti range is good enough to replace the XS?

Interesting... the words from December might be being put into practice..one observation, with the demise of the NAT05XS.. Naim no longer have a dedicated tuner.. perhaps not surprising. From what I heard some of the new Uniti series can overlap with some of the low to mid end Classic series (and even possibly higher). I am excited by the more  parallel product trees... with the Statement at the top of the food chain.

Skip posted:

I bought CD555 in 2014, exited the CDS2,  and later added a second DR 555PS.  Last year I added a Super Sarum Aray interconnect to the 552.   Last night I was showing off the Verdier Kleos SL ( via Superline Supercap DR via Hiline ) with an old friend.   I pulled out Kind of Blue on 45 RPM.   We were also playing a Gold CD version of Kind of Blue to compare.    I had never done this demo before.  He and my wife (of 35 years, possessed of hypersensitive hearing) both preferred the CD555 to the KOB 45 on vinyl.   We might debate the point, but suffice it to say, the CD555 is no ordinary CD player.  I cannot foresee the day we will sell ours.  The Sarum Super Aray shows it at its best, too.  I never thought I would spend this much on an interconnect.

I very rarely compare my vinyl replay directly with my CDP but just satisfy myself that the music is rich and involving on both.   However, it took a CDS3 to get me to this place )

Skip posted:

i am a bit surprised that you prefer kind of blue on cd555/2 555 dr rather than on your superb platine verdier/morch dp6/lyra kleos sl/ superline-supercap.  Your kind of blue lp is an original one or mobile fidelity 45pm reissue?  if your kind of blue reissue is a poor one, like a transfer from cd to lp, i am not surprised that you prefer this album on the cd555.  But if it is the mobile fidelity one, something is wrong....

My turntable is an sme20 / sme 5/ kiseki blue ns / ear 912 phono and my digital an nds/555dr/ unitserve/ uptone audio js2. Both sounds fantastic and i have no preference: music after 1985 on my nds and before 1985 on my sme( only original lps or analogue productions or mofi).

When i put an original lp which is good recorded, the sound is notably better than the cd or high rez version.

i want to add that i am speaking of the cd version or high rez of the original analogue lp.

As for comparaison of digital vs turntable, it is a sterile i think. Both can be excellent, all depends of the quality of the recording. But i think, like a lot of people, than the lp original is better than digital version, in 99% cases. ( of course the turntable and cd player or streamer must be on nearly the same level).

Keler Pierre posted:
Skip posted:

i am a bit surprised that you prefer kind of blue on cd555/2 555 dr rather than on your superb platine verdier/morch dp6/lyra kleos sl/ superline-supercap.  Your kind of blue lp is an original one or mobile fidelity 45pm reissue?  if your kind of blue reissue is a poor one, like a transfer from cd to lp, i am not surprised that you prefer this album on the cd555.  But if it is the mobile fidelity one, something is wrong....

My turntable is an sme20 / sme 5/ kiseki blue ns / ear 912 phono and my digital an nds/555dr/ unitserve/ uptone audio js2. Both sounds fantastic and i have no preference: music after 1985 on my nds and before 1985 on my sme( only original lps or analogue productions or mofi).

When i put an original lp which is good recorded, the sound is notably better than the cd or high rez version.

Thanks for the note.   This surprised me, too.

The Verdier has recently been upgraded with a Kleos SL, and its setup is well and expertly done.   I think it is down to the difference between the Super Sarum vs. the HiLine.  I just need to swap them and see.   I have a BNC phono cable on order.   That could also bring the Verdier back into line.  Finally, there may have been a slight difference in volume between the formats.   You and I, with some effort, might well have chosen the 45 LP.    This was a quick demo for my friend and my wife.  The point is that the CD555 credibly approaches high level vinyl, as it should for much more money than the Verdier setup.

I have the Sony Gold CD Super Bit Mapping KOB from years ago.   The 45 KOB is a Classic Records single-sided 45 RPM reissue.  Each was top shelf in its day and still sounds as good as ever.

Skip posted:
Keler Pierre posted:
Skip posted:

The Verdier has recently been upgraded with a Kleos SL, and its setup is well and expertly done.   I think it is down to the difference between the Super Sarum vs. the HiLine.  I just need to swap them and see.   I have a BNC phono cable on order.   That could also bring the Verdier back into line.

I have the Sony Gold CD Super Bit Mapping KOB from years ago.   The 45 KOB is a Classic Records single-sided 45 RPM reissue.  Each was top shelf in its day and well preserved.

ok, i understand: you have a classic record reissue of the kind of blue. Sorry to say that, but classic records are mostly digital transfer on lp. I have also some classic records and i am disappointed by them: the sound is clean, clear, but like a cd. If you want to try, buy the mobile fidelity 45pm reissue, and you will be very surprised.  The original one is rare and very expensive....  you can go on elusive disc. com or discogs for a mint or near mint one. It will blows away the super gold cd reissue by a good margin.

Skip posted:
Keler Pierre posted:
Skip posted:

The Verdier has recently been upgraded with a Kleos SL, and its setup is well and expertly done.   I think it is down to the difference between the Super Sarum vs. the HiLine.  I just need to swap them and see.   I have a BNC phono cable on order.   That could also bring the Verdier back into line.  Finally, there may have been a slight difference in volume between the formats.   You and I, with some effort, might well have chosen the 45 LP.    This was a quick demo for my friend and my wife.  The point is that the CD555 credibly approaches high level vinyl, as it should for much more money than the Verdier setup.

I have the Sony Gold CD Super Bit Mapping KOB from years ago.   The 45 KOB is a Classic Records single-sided 45 RPM reissue.  Each was top shelf in its day and still sounds as good as ever.

another thing too: the lyra kleos sl has a very low output, if i remember. The superline must also be readjusted to this load ( 0,25 mv, i just verified). There are switches on the superline to adjust a new load. The differences between hiline and super sarum array is significative, yes, but not night and day. A good load of the superline and mobile fidelity ( or analogue productions) reissue of kind of blue, and you will be on heaven!

Thanks for the quick reply.  I appreciate the feedback.

I am pretty confident of my set up.   I am open to opportunities to improve it, if I can afford them.  

I bought the Kleos SL in contemplation of the available default Superline gain.  The only thing I would ordinarily adjust would be resistor plugs.  I do not use a capacitance plug at all.   If there are DIP switches to adjust the gain for the Superline, I have not heard of them.

Have you run a Superline?    I could not tell from your profile.   Happy Birthday BTW.

Skip posted:

Thanks for the quick reply.  I appreciate the feedback.

I am pretty confident of my set up.   I am open to opportunities to improve it, if I can afford them.  

I bought the Kleos SL in contemplation of the available default Superline gain.  The only thing I would ordinarily adjust would be resistor plugs.  I do not use a capacitance plug at all.   If there are DIP switches to adjust the gain for the Superline, I have not heard of them.

Have you run a Superline?    I could not tell from your profile.   Happy Birthday BTW.

i don't think you have to improve your set up. Just thought that perhaps the good load of the superline is not good adjusted, but i have not the superline....i just read the specifications of the superline and the possibility to adjust the gain. But apparently you have done it.

Normally a good version of kind of blue on lp has better sound than cd, and your turntable/cartridge/ phono is on the same level as cd555.  have a good day and thanks for the happy birthday, but i wrote a wrong date on my profile....

Likes (0)