Coming back to Naim after a hiatus

Well I'm getting used to the menu and enjoying the various streaming options. 

I did get the infamous "Can't play track" on a few albums. I powered down the server from the menu (not the power button) and powered back up and it persists. I hope the files are good. Not sure how to resolve this one. 

I'm shocked at how good the SU sounds with the Cardas speaker wire, I expected it to not be very palatable. 

My impressions so far are good.  I got the NACA5 hooked up and the sonics are much improved. I didn't realize how much bottom end was lacking with the Cardas wire. 

As it turns out the NACA5 I bought was misrepresented to me and ended up only being 2.75M. I think Naim recommends 3.5M. Is this a difference I need to worry about? Is this a subjective thing or should I hunt down a longer run of cables?

I'm really loving the Radio Paradise 320K stream, it sounds really good through the SU. 

Yes, the Naim recommended minimum is 3.5m per channel - this is a requirement for the bigger separate amps, but with your Superuniti you will probably be fine with 3m or just under.  

Certainly on the separate amps I subjectively prefer longer lengths - ideally 5-10m.  However, I have not tried different lengths on a Superuniti, and it may not make nearly so much difference. If you can try longer then definitely do so, but I wouldn't sweat it too much if what you have sounds good at the moment.

Thanks, Richard, that's good to know.

With regard to upgrade path, can the SU be upgraded with a power supply (ie Supercap)?? I see the pre amp out connection on the rear panel so I assume I can upgrade to a 250DR at some point but wonder if a power supply can work??

I've had the NACA5 hooked up long enough now to make some observations. For a single box the SU is really quite good. The music is warm and involving and has a satisfying dynamic presentation.

I contrast this experience with my upgrade to the first generation supernait some years ago. The supernait was my first foray into the new black box line up coming from a CDS2/XPS/72/HC/250. For me the CDS2/XPS/Supernait/HC was not very exciting. Little by way of depth and somewhat colorless. In fact, it was so bad I moved on up to the 252/SC/250.2 within a couple months.

I wonder if the SU sounds better b/c I'm coming from a midfi non naim integrated and the supernait had some big shoes to fill replacing the 72/HC/250. I say this mostly b/c I have some curiosity about the second generation supernait paired with a NDX streamer. 

novelty posted:

I wonder if the SU sounds better b/c I'm coming from a midfi non naim integrated and the supernait had some big shoes to fill replacing the 72/HC/250. I say this mostly b/c I have some curiosity about the second generation supernait paired with a NDX streamer. 

I was quite happy with my Superuniti, but if you’re wondering where you might go next, NDX/Supernait will be a very big step up. 

I too went away from Naim (252/SuperCap/250 ) for tubes and have come back. Both are good. I first bought a 272/250 and while I liked the streamer as a streamer , the preamp didnt sound all that great as a  with a phono preamp. So i sold it and got the Naim  SN2 and for phono it sounds much better, I am using the Superline/hicapDR for the RIAA/Stepup. I am soon going to buy a Naim NDX for my streaming.

Anyway thats my two cents worth.

Ken

I suggest you read some of the NDX / SN2 threads. There are a number of members on the forum who have gone this route and are quite happy. I know I read every thread I could find regarding the 272/250DR and NDX/SN2 and decided to go the NDX / SN2 route. It has only been a week now and I am quite pleased but I will wait awhile until everything settles in before getting to excited. One thing for sure my Ovator S-400 speakers are sounding like they have had an upgrade, certainly enjoying the combo. 

Different strokes for different folks, I am enjoying my decision at this point in time........

Thanks for your observations.

It seems like the logical step from the SU is to put a 250DR on it and then a 272 to replace the SU. Then a power supply (SC?). 

If I went the Supernait 2 route the upgrade path seems a bit wonky. Not sure. 

I expect I will want to land at the NDX/252/SCDR/250DR at some point but I'm in no hurry.

I have no need for phono or CD, I'm streaming exclusively. 

The PSU you need would be an XPS rather than a Supercap. 

If you intend to progress up the separates ladder in future, I would go that way from the start rather than getting a combined streamer/preamp. A Supernait doesn’t rule that out, as you can add an external pre, power amp or PSU to it. Alternatively, leapfrog the Supernait and go directly to separates. I did this in stages by adding a 200 to my SU, then an NDX, and finally sold the SU and put in a 282. This was the most ‘efficient’ way to get where I wanted to be. The help of a good dealer is invaluable in working out the best path for you. 

So I'd like to add a library to my QNAP, it's a AIFF library I was playing through itunes. I created a new folder under my multmedia folder in file station and copied over all the artist folders just like the current artist folders. I'm able to see and play the the new music in the Naim App but I'm unable to see the artist/album artwork. I'm curious what I need to do get the artwork copied over. Are any of the meta data files in the itunes library usable on the QNAP/Asset. I've searched and not seeing how folks are doing this. 

I believe that AIFF files are similar to WAV files in that there isn't necessarily a "common" or "universal" method of embedding the coverart into those files.
One option is to add the coverart to each album folder as "folder.jpg"

Each album title coverart should be titled simply folder.jpg regardless of the album name. Just be sure to add the correct image to the correct album.

novelty posted:

....I'm unable to see the artist/album artwork....

Just to be clear, can you see any album artwork? There is no artist artwork, so it you are browsing a list of artists, it is just a list.

If album artwork isn't showing, you probably need to add it yourself in the way that Blythe explains above. The process is simple, but you need a metadata editor on your computer to do it. Metadatics (Mac) of MP3tag (PC) are good for this.

I can see the album artwork for the existing albums/library. And when I look in the individual album folders there is a "folder.jpg" file that appears to contain the album artwork for the existing library. 

Wow, I have to put a folder.jpg file in every album folder? For a thousand albums? Ugh...

I was using iTunes for playback of the AIFF library I just loaded to the NAS. I didn't grab the iTunes files that contain the album artwork (ie the "itunes library.itl" or "itunes music library.xml" files) as I assumed Asset/NaimApp don't recognize these files.  I don't think the album artwork is embedded in the music files but I don't know for sure as that's above my understanding of these files. 

So to recap, the library that was originally loaded to the QNAP is FLAC and I can see the album artwork for all of this music in the Naim app and each album folder has a folde.jpg file in each folder.

The library I just added is AIFF and a library I was using with iTunes. The music loaded fine and plays fine. I just can't see the album artwork. Not the end of the world but a little disappointing. 

novelty posted:

I was using iTunes for playback of the AIFF library I just loaded to the NAS. I didn't grab the iTunes files that contain the album artwork (ie the "itunes library.itl" or "itunes music library.xml" files) as I assumed Asset/NaimApp don't recognize these files.  I don't think the album artwork is embedded in the music files but I don't know for sure as that's above my understanding of these files. 

So to recap, the library that was originally loaded to the QNAP is FLAC and I can see the album artwork for all of this music in the Naim app and each album folder has a folde.jpg file in each folder.

The library I just added is AIFF and a library I was using with iTunes. The music loaded fine and plays fine. I just can't see the album artwork. Not the end of the world but a little disappointing. 

perhaps you can use metadatics or mp3 tag programs.  I have not tried yet.

Hi, For what it's worth I'll add my 2 cents. My system after auditioning Core, Nova, NAC 272, NAP 155xs and NAP 250dr paired with PMC 20 24 speakers.

Core, NAC 272, NAP 250DR, Qnap 151 and PMC 20 24's.

I really wanted to like the Nova but for me the treble had far to much sting and was slightly wild. I considered the vastly cheaper NAP 155XS superior.

Is there a difference between using Core or Qnap as source? Yes, the sound is portrayed differently and I'm not saying that one conveys more information than the other, but the Core to my ears is much easier to live with and more believable to listen to, but your ears may tell you different. 

Rich

If you continue to buy music downloads, you will need a metadata editor, as downloads do not always come with accurate or complete metadata, so it's best to get into the habit of checking them straight away. If you buy CDs and rip them, use DBPoweramp as a ripper and converter, and it includes a metadata editor too. I'm pretty sure most decent editors can do bulk extraction of artwork, which should make your current job a lot easier.

Eloise posted:

We’re you using iTunes on a Mac?

If so then if you google for Dougs Apple Scripts you should on that website find a script which will explore the artwork from your albums into folder.jpg folders in the correct directories.

Yes, it's a mac itunes library. I'll do some research on those scripts, thanks for the heads up. 

Likes (0)