Dipping toes into the NAS (world) with no clue and getting rid of the CD player

Suzy Wong posted:

Richard, wrt the Asset Control thingy you’ve got on Stephen’s Qnap, is it the one from the dBPowerAmp people?

Asset Control is not installed on the QNAP, it's a control point that is installed on a PC.

It allows you to browse UPNP servers, thus giving the ability to validate how Asset (the server) presents metadata without needing a streamer.

I have this installed as I find it useful as well, it's great for quickly checking what music you already have as I am prone to double purchasing!

trickydickie posted:
Suzy Wong posted:

Richard, wrt the Asset Control thingy you’ve got on Stephen’s Qnap, is it the one from the dBPowerAmp people?

Asset Control is not installed on the QNAP, it's a control point that is installed on a PC.

It allows you to browse UPNP servers, thus giving the ability to validate how Asset (the server) presents metadata without needing a streamer.

I have this installed as I find it useful as well, it's great for quickly checking what music you already have as I am prone to double purchasing!

But it is part of illustrate’s Asset uPNP suite?

My interest is because the product webpage mentions Raspberry Pi/Synology, and I’ve got a Syn NAS & four RPis streaming audio

trickydickie posted:

Is that because you buy the exact same CD by accident - been there, done that - or you buy the standard edition, the extended edition, the remastered edition, the deluxe edition...........

Just how many editions of Quark, Strangeness & Charm do I need

Stephen Tate posted:
fatcat posted:

As your dipping your toes into the world of NAS, why not try a squeezebox touch.

They’re available second hand for under a ton. Dead easy to set up, rock solid, works perfectly every time. Sound quality not fantastic, but it has digital output, (spdif and usb), so you can add a Naim DAC if you want.

Hi,

Would you consider this a forward step from just using a laptop into a Arcam irDAC via JitterBug & USB?

Just noticed you’re using a qnap nas, I think a SBT might not be a good idea. If I remember correctly, it’s not possible/easy to load the logitec media server onto some qnap devices. I’m unable to load the most up-to-date LMS onto my qnap NaS.

trickydickie posted:
Suzy Wong posted:

Hi TD

If Stephen is using a Windows PC then his UPnP servers will also show up in the “This PC” section of Windows File Explorer allowing him to see how Asset will present hs browse views and to drill down to individual albums and tracks.

Add Reply

Likes (0)