JoinSign In
Forums
Search

Dynaudio with naim?

October 13, 2013 12:17 AM

Dynaudio seemed to be popular with naim - but haven't heard much about this brand of speakers in a while...

Sbt ins running these speakers?  Which ones?

October 13, 2013 12:44 AM

I'm listening to Macca's "New" as I type on my Qute2 and Dynaudio X12's (small small bookshelf speakers, on the Dynaudio stands). 

Like (0 likes)
BNN offline

October 13, 2013 6:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bart:

I'm listening to Macca's "New" as I type on my Qute2 and Dynaudio X12's (small small bookshelf speakers, on the Dynaudio stands). 

Dynaudio speaker quite difficult to drive and it need at least NAP200 and above (better if can 250), if power amp not able to drive them nicely you will hear more low freq from overall performance (more laid back sound), otherwise you will feel very balance sound.

Like (0 likes)

October 13, 2013 6:37 AM

Very happy with original version Special 25s, they sound great with a NAP 300, but they also sang / sing with my old Nait 1. 

Like (0 likes)

October 13, 2013 7:03 AM

Originally Posted by BNN:

Dynaudio speaker quite difficult to drive and it need at least NAP200 and above (better if can 250), if power amp not able to drive them nicely you will hear more low freq from overall performance (more laid back sound), otherwise you will feel very balance sound.

Some Dynaudio speakers are difficult to drive, not all. I have a set of X12's that worked quite nicely with a Sonneteer Campion.

Like (0 likes)

October 13, 2013 7:20 AM

I have a pair of Dynaudio Focus 260 with my nait xs. No problem at all. They really responding to the quality you feed them with.

/ Anders

Like (0 likes)

October 13, 2013 8:02 AM

Using a pair of DM 2/6 on my Qute, and they are very easy to drive. I found that Chord Odyssey works better than NACA5 with my speakers.

Good bass from such a small speaker. I am listening to J.J. Cale 'Okie' - that bass guitar sounds great. If it's all about musical enjoyment then I have found a relatively 'cheap' (in Naim terms) system that is delivering enjoyment in spades.

Like (0 likes)

October 13, 2013 9:04 AM

I think the dynaudios i many ways need good control of power rather than power itself. And that is what Naim brings to them.

/ Anders

Like (0 likes)

October 13, 2013 9:11 AM

7 years on with Naim and Dyna 

Like (0 likes)

October 13, 2013 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Strat (Fender):

7 years on with Naim and Dyna 

says it all 5 years here and still counting ( audience 42 and Naim 5i combo )

Like (0 likes)

October 13, 2013 3:34 PM

Focus 160 with XS2...plenty of drive....beautiful!

Like (0 likes)

October 13, 2013 6:25 PM

Originally Posted by Artk:
Originally Posted by BNN:

Some Dynaudio speakers are difficult to drive, not all. I have a set of X12's that worked quite nicely with a Sonneteer Campion.

I Googled up the Campion -- a very nice looking piece of kit!

Like (0 likes)

October 13, 2013 9:08 PM

There are only a couple of brands that would  get me away from Dyna. Certainly Neat and Kudos maybe ATC.

Like (0 likes)

October 14, 2013 12:20 AM

I just replaced the X12's with a pair of Spendor A6R which that wonderful Campion drives quite nicely as well. 

Like (0 likes)

October 14, 2013 3:03 PM

I am also interested in getting Dyna C1 for my 52/150 setup.

Did anyone try this combo ?  Would that work ?

Like (0 likes)

October 15, 2013 1:47 AM

I have the Focus 160 (and may upgrade to the 260 someday) and am looking to get into NAIM. But I am solidly middle class and can't afford what most people here can buy. Right now my desire is to audition the new 5si/XS2/SN2.

Like (0 likes)

October 15, 2013 10:27 PM

I am selling a 10 month old pair of dynaudio focus 160, if anybody is interested. Can send photos

Like (0 likes)

October 15, 2013 10:33 PM

Methinks you should have a shufti at the Forum rules.....

Like (0 likes)

October 15, 2013 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by prolle:
I am selling a 10 month old pair of dynaudio focus 160, if anybody is interested. Can send photos

Unless it's a good year and french!

Like (0 likes)

October 15, 2013 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by PTCM:

Was that an entry for the worst looking system ever award? Who could possibly allow it into their living room?

Like (0 likes)

October 15, 2013 10:39 PM

i have the C1 Sig with a SU and a 250. Works very well. I don't know about the 150. They like power and I guess the 250 would probably be the minimum to run these. I had Contour 2.8 before and I know the 250 wasnt enough for them.  But the C1 with the 250 is a very good match. Its also very room dependent and at which sound level you listen to... Needs a demo me thinks.

Like (0 likes)

October 16, 2013 2:02 AM

I heard this setup last week at Pro Musica in Chicago using a 552/500 and it sounded pretty spectacular.   I was surprised a standmount could sound so good but the room was small and it all sounded perfectly matched.

Like (0 likes)

October 16, 2013 2:54 AM

Originally Posted by prolle:

GL with the sale. What will you be upgrading to?

Like (0 likes)

October 16, 2013 8:30 PM

Sorry for the advertising, that wont happen again. I am very open to suggestions on what I should upgrade to - i recognize that the Dyns are a very capable speaker, and I have their strengths to be in detail and soundstage. My opinion on this is, yes, thats great, but more for a sound engineer, if you know what I mean. I feel they are a liitle too neutral. I am looking for something that is more enjoyable, warm, little more bass. Hope you guys know what I am getting at? Thanks 

Like (0 likes)

October 17, 2013 5:07 AM

What would be the dynaudio speaker to pair with a Nds/555 and 282/250/scap?

Like (0 likes)

October 17, 2013 10:22 AM

Hello MangoMonkey.

Probably something like depending on roomsize Focus the higher series, Contour 3.4 or Confidence C2. 

Good luck.

/Anders

Like (0 likes)
SB offline

October 17, 2013 10:33 AM

Been running Audience 50's for more years than I care to remember.

They predated my NAIT5 and now running on a SuperNait. Moving from Nait5 to SN was the biggest sonic gain.

Like (0 likes)

October 20, 2013 4:43 PM

Ok - now to find some dynaudio dealers.

Looks like I'll have to travel - In reality, the system is more modest - NDX/282/250/HiCap. This is my last speaker purchase - so wanted to max the speaker out.

Like (0 likes)

October 21, 2013 1:42 AM

My Dyn Focus 220's and Supernait are a match made in heaven. Very good synergy.

Like (0 likes)

October 21, 2013 2:02 AM

I've used my 1.3SE with a Nait3, NAP140, NAP180, olive 250, Supernait, and now a 250.2, and to be honest, I've enjoyed all the amps with these relatively difficult speakers. As always, size matters: a huge room with the Nait3/1.3SE wasn't great ... same kit in a small room was dynamite.

I will say they respond well to power and the 250.2 is certainly the most successful match thus far. I have found the Dynaudio speakers I've owned (1.3Mk2, audience 42 and 1.3se) to balance accuracy and fun/PRaT really well (no experience with their towers).

Beyond power, I personally feel that Dynaudio and Naim are a great match in general: perhaps the Naim PRaT combined with the phase-correct Dynaudio design? I'm not sure, but the result is quite good. I'd wager heavily that the C1 will positively sing in that system!

Like (0 likes)

October 21, 2013 2:29 AM

I don't want to sound too bias but I have had the opportunity to audition the Dynaudio C1 II Signature, the Contour S1.4, and the Focus 160 back-to-back in the same room with the same amp (Accuphase) and the same music. They were all in a 2.0 setup with Dynaudio stands.

I found the Contours to be the obvious outlier of the trio. They were quite dark with an emphasis on bass at the expense of the mid and highs and especially the latter. The C1s had a brilliantly clear mid- and high-range. This speaker put the musician in the room. But following the Contours, you felt as if they displayed a lack of bass. The Focus 160 was the most balance of the trio offering certain "sweet spots" of each the Contour and the Confidence standmounts. Better bass than the Confidence but better mids and highs than the Contour.

Just my $.02.

Like (0 likes)

October 21, 2013 3:11 AM

Originally Posted by MangoMonkey:

Ok - now to find some dynaudio dealers.

Looks like I'll have to travel - In reality, the system is more modest - NDX/282/250/HiCap. This is my last speaker purchase - so wanted to max the speaker out.

Mango,

If it truly is your last speaker purchase, somehow I doubt that, the C1's would be a very good choice. A very dynamic speaker with terrific bass  for their size. Plus , they look cool imo!

Dynaudio is a fairly neutral speaker-likes to rock.The 250 would be a minimum to get the best out of them. Good luck!

Like (0 likes)

October 21, 2013 8:31 AM

Hi MM

I have heard Kudos S20 in an all Naim streaming demo at Signals and thought they were wonderful.. Just got out of the way and let the music play, something which is surprisingly difficult to achieve.

I have also had Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature at home in my system.  They are stunningly revealing and generate bass that defies their size.  However, I found them to be a bit relentless to listen to.  Both the dealer and the UK importer (a really nice guy by the way) warned that the C1 needs considerable running in before they smooth out to give of their best (i.e. several hundred hours, not tens of hours).  However, the dealer's demo pair were well run in.  They also improve markedly with a very good power amp.  They may work with a 250.2 or better.  A pair of 135s are definitely up to the job. 

Based on this limited comparison (same ears but different systems & different rooms), I would cautious expect the C1 to be a step up from the S10/S20 in terms of transparency & clarity but with the risk of sounding a bit tiring/relentless.

Hence, as always, audition before decision. 

Hope this helps, FT

Like (0 likes)

October 21, 2013 2:42 PM

I've only tied the little Naim amps... A Nait 1 and then a Unitiqute 2 with my Dynaudio Excite X16's. perhaps it was the speakers, but they never sounded like they really opened up. They were replaced with PMC DB1s which have been much better. Smoother, more relaxed sounding, yet more lively and engaging to my ears.
I've previously owned Dynaudio BM6's, the passive version of ther BM6a studio monitors, driven by a Plessis amp. Quite good, but switched over to Neumann KH120s in the studio which are a big improvement.

Like (0 likes)

October 21, 2013 3:24 PM

Originally Posted by Foot tapper:

Hi MM

I have heard Kudos S20 in an all Naim streaming demo at Signals and thought they were wonderful.. Just got out of the way and let the music play, something which is surprisingly difficult to achieve.

I have also had Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature at home in my system.  They are stunningly revealing and generate bass that defies their size.  However, I found them to be a bit relentless to listen to.  Both the dealer and the UK importer (a really nice guy by the way) warned that the C1 needs considerable running in before they smooth out to give of their best (i.e. several hundred hours, not tens of hours).  However, the dealer's demo pair were well run in.  They also improve markedly with a very good power amp.  They may work with a 250.2 or better.  A pair of 135s are definitely up to the job. 

Based on this limited comparison (same ears but different systems & different rooms), I would cautious expect the C1 to be a step up from the S10/S20 in terms of transparency & clarity but with the risk of sounding a bit tiring/relentless.

Hence, as always, audition before decision. 

Hope this helps, FT

FT,

Having the C1 Sig in my main for some time now, I agree it takes lots of running to settle - I would say 400-500 hours. My pair probably has 650 now. One thing that made a great difference in the bass aspect is when I filled the D6 stands with sand. It gives a rock solide base and mass for the speakers and the bass improved right away. You are right, the bass rendition is unbelievable considering the size of the speaker.

At the beginning, I was afraid that my 250.2 wouldnt be able to drive them properly. I had Contour 2.8 before and the 250.2 couldn't control the bass. Not with the C1, it produces a very balance sound, superb soundstage even at low volume. But I can believe that a more powerful amp would be even better; I would love to try a 300 but unfortunately, its out of my price range.

Finally, IME, I never tought C1's were tiring. Quite the opposite for me. Yes very revealing, transparent but never tiring. I had some tiring speakers before, especially ribbon tweeters. Fantastic definition but my ears bleed after 1 hour. I guess different room set ups and ears play an effect on this perception.

MM: These C1s will probably be my last speakers and the 250.2 my last power amp as well. I like them that much!!!

Like (0 likes)

October 21, 2013 7:42 PM

Hi Yippedidou

A helpful post, especially about rooms & stands.  The pair I used were on the D4 stands (predecessor to the D6).  Bass was vastly improved in both weight and speed when we filled the stands.

All bets are off when it comes to speaker-room interactions.  I can only say how they sounded in my room.  Could well be much better in yours.  I could hear just how wonderfully transparent the mid range was. They were as open as Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento but with better speed and more bottom end grunt.  We tried everything that both the dealer and I knew to optimise the set up, but could never get them to really sing in our room.

Hope you enjoy yours.  Best regards, FT 

Like (0 likes)

October 22, 2013 12:35 AM

For about the same price, i am looking at C1 vs 805D vs Eventus Metis.

Like (0 likes)

October 22, 2013 4:24 PM

For those who are not familiar with Metis,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Y93Scm-i0

Like (0 likes)

October 27, 2013 7:54 AM

Would 52/SC/150 be able to drive the Dynaudio C1 well ?  One of my friends is telling me that not even 250.2 can't get the job done. 

Can any C1 user comment on that ?

many thanks.

Last edited by PTCM October 27, 2013 8:04 AM

Like (0 likes)

October 27, 2013 8:40 AM

Owners on here are saying that the 250.2 is probably the minimum and that a 300 would be better. From that you can draw your conclusions about using a 150.

Like (0 likes)