First day with 552

nigelb posted:
thijazi posted:

A month into the upgrade, I can only say WOW, this was not an easy upgrade (cost wise) and one that took a while to wrap my mind around, but the improvement is incredible and keeps getting better, every music I play sounds bigger, richer, fuller, grander with detail I never even knew existed.. This is one amazing preamp... I wonder what it would have sounded like with a NAP500.DR versus the NAP300.DR ... But that is a separate project down the distant future :-)...

For anyone doubting this upgrade, GO FOR IT, it is worth every penny.

Stop it I say.......just......just......stop it.

And that goes for all of you with 552s! Coming on here tempting all us with weak wills. You know who you are!

Well,that's not me then Nigel 

thijazi posted:

A month into the upgrade, I can only say WOW, this was not an easy upgrade (cost wise) and one that took a while to wrap my mind around, but the improvement is incredible and keeps getting better, every music I play sounds bigger, richer, fuller, grander with detail I never even knew existed.. This is one amazing preamp... I wonder what it would have sounded like with a NAP500.DR versus the NAP300.DR ... But that is a separate project down the distant future :-)...

Lalala...lalala...horrible I'm sure it is.... lalala.... lala...not hearing this.

Dustysox posted:
nigelb posted:
thijazi posted:

Stop it I say.......just......just......stop it.

And that goes for all of you with 552s! Coming on here tempting all us with weak wills. You know who you are!

Well,that's not me then Nigel 

Don't you go all innocent on me. I am sure I have heard you on here bang on about the wonderful 552 and how you have built your system around it. Well that is all very well for you guys. What about us? No more teasing and tempting. Enough is enough. I mean it!

kevin J Carden posted:

Nigel and Adam : Not guilty either m'lud. I wasn't there, honest!

Thijazi: Yes, isn't it just!

And as for you Kevin. I know you have got a 552 as well. I think thee doth protest too much. You know you are guilty of tempting us to spend too much on wretched pre amps. Don't deny it!

Drewy posted:

Oh great! I have a 300dr

Harry posted:

Which is a superb match to the 552. There's only two other power amps in the world that might beat it in your system. That's a pretty lofty place to be. Not to mention superbly musical.

I know which is why I might end up going down this route. You buy amps like these and they stay with you for many years which Is more unlikely with source components. 

I wonder if any future possible upgrade within my affordability matrix will make this much of a difference for me, I sincerely doubt the DAC upgrade would make a substantial bump (I tried the Mojo and the Hugo and was not blown away compared to the DAC-V1), the nDAC seems to me a step down rather than a step up (despite the price tag saying otherwise) and also not sure that the delta between the 300 amp and the 500 series provides such a large improvement as was the case with the move from the 282 to the 552 preamp....

Would be cool to try the totalDAC in my setup but that is asking for too much ;-)

thijazi posted:

I wonder if any future possible upgrade within my affordability matrix will make this much of a difference for me, I sincerely doubt the DAC upgrade would make a substantial bump (I tried the Mojo and the Hugo and was not blown away compared to the DAC-V1), the nDAC seems to me a step down rather than a step up (despite the price tag saying otherwise) and also not sure that the delta between the 300 amp and the 500 series provides such a large improvement as was the case with the move from the 282 to the 552 preamp....

Would be cool to try the totalDAC in my setup but that is asking for too much ;-)

A maxed-out nDAC works for me, thijazi. I'm regularly impressed at what the 552DR/300DR shows that source is capable of producing. Also like Elkman70 says, the full SL loom shouldn't be ignored. 

thijazi posted:

Did you try the DACs with the 282? If so, it might be worth trying again, now that you have the 552?

Nope, that is something I plan to do soon, all my testing took place with the 282 in place (and with the NAP250), so now that both the 552.dr and the 300.dr are setup I will test the Hugo once more.... I will research to see if anyone has experience with the PS Audio DAC, I like their upgradeability.... Once again, I wish Naim where more clear about roadmap, would love to stick around to the new gen DAC (if any) from Naim.

thijazi posted:

Nope, that is something I plan to do soon, all my testing took place with the 282 in place (and with the NAP250), so now that both the 552.dr and the 300.dr are setup I will test the Hugo once more.... I will research to see if anyone has experience with the PS Audio DAC, I like their upgradeability.... Once again, I wish Naim where more clear about roadmap, would love to stick around to the new gen DAC (if any) from Naim.

It might be worth giving the nDac another try, too ('stand alone', and with an external PSU, preferably 555PSDR).

You can, of course, use NDS as a DAC, but that means a lot more money, and functions that you wouldn't require (if not streaming etc.).

thijazi posted:

I have the SL speaker cables and I noted an improvement in the sound quality over the NACA5 cables... Didn't test the SL interconnects yet.

As you already have SL speaker cables, your system really deserves, and will benefit from, a SL full loom, IC first I would suggest. My 252/250DR has come on a great deal with the addition of SL IC & SL speaker cables. You might want to get your DAC/Source sorted first though.

I know, how about us swapping your 552 for my SL IC for a while so you can see how the SL IC sounds?

No need to thank me, I am quite generous like that. 

PS, I have just realised you won't hear much out of the SL IC without a pre amp - a minor detail.

thijazi posted:

Trying to keep my self into the USB DAC world to avoid SPDIFF converters and the like, I use a PC for a streamer and use Roon to playback my music... The USB is just so simple and versatile.

But the computer USB output will be full of electrical/rf noise, so if connected direct to a DAC the sound quality will almost certainly be less than optimal unless the DAC has good rejection. I don't know how good the DAC V1 is with that, but notably Hugo is susceptible (that's why people use a convertor), though Hugo TT is fine (and possibly 2Qute, though many say it isn't as good SQ-wise as Hugo).

Likes (1)
Moussa