From the listening chair, 2015

Originally Posted by Quad 33:

Well here it is - but I'm not sure it's been worth a whole afternoon of internet pratting about!  

Tell me about your guitar please (and forgive me if I have asked you before,...my CRS condition gets worse monthly it seems.)

Hi Dr Mark, the guitar is called a Rockburn! its a copy of a Gibson. It was a Christmas present from my daughter and her musician partner. Sadly I do not play but keep promising myself I will take lessons when I retire. However, it does get used occasionally when they both visit and Rob wants to do a little practicing. He also tunes it for me each time he leaves perhaps he is trying to tell me something

Regards Graham 

Originally Posted by KRM:

I always worry that a guitar in the listening room will play along to the music due to airborne vibration. Sadly, my eldest son has taken ours (his, to be fair) off to uni.

Keith

The solution is always to keep musical instruments in their cases, which is better for the instrument and prevents the problem you raise too.

A sympathetic musical instrument in the listening space is no big issue.

Fancy a symphony orchestra of ninety player and twenty are not playing.

Is the contribution of the seventy ruined by the twenty not playing.

Even more so, consider an orchestra of ninety with just one player making a solo. Is the contribution ruined by eighty-nine non-playing instruments variously sounding in sympathy!

Can a choir sing effectively in a church where an unplayed organ is also present?

Can a singer perform in the same room as an unplayed piano? Indeed can a piano be played in a room with 200 non-singing members of a chorus are present?

Obviously a musical instrument can live happily in a room where music sounds without ruining the music!

ATB from Georgfe

Originally Posted by George Fredrik Fiske:

Even more so, consider an orchestra of ninety with just one player making a solo. Is the contribution ruined by eighty-nine non-playing instruments variously sounding in sympathy!

Can a choir sing effectively in a church where an unplayed organ is also present?

Can a singer perform in the same room as an unplayed piano? Indeed can a piano be played in a room with 200 non-singing members of a chorus are present?

Obviously a musical instrument can live happily in a room where music sounds without ruining the music!

ATB from Georgfe

Consider the buzzing of an unplayed snare drum set off by a bass guitar, or the use of sound booths in recording studios.

Russ Andrews talks about the "living room chorus". I haven't bothered to put blu-tack under ornaments or behind pictures, but I keep the guitars in another room, unless I'm playing. If it affects the noise floor then why not. The thing with noise floors is you don't notice it's there until you do something to improve it.

That said, I've never noticed the difference that the presence or absence of a guitar either

Keith

Originally Posted by Haim Ronen:

Technically not qualifying for substituting the coffee table feet with mine and leaning against the chair instead of sitting on it. A favorite sub-sweet spot for an easy read. 

Come on Haim: two speakers and at least one foot are required. No wriggling out of it. 

Originally Posted by KRM:
Originally Posted by George Fredrik Fiske:

ATB from Georgfe

Consider the buzzing of an unplayed snare drum set off by a bass guitar, or the use of sound booths in recording studios.

Russ Andrews talks about the "living room chorus". I haven't bothered to put blu-tack under ornaments or behind pictures, but I keep the guitars in another room, unless I'm playing. If it affects the noise floor then why not. The thing with noise floors is you don't notice it's there until you do something to improve it.

That said, I've never noticed the difference that the presence or absence of a guitar either

Keith

To be honest, I have never considered untuned percussion as being remotely musical instruments, anymore than the rhythmic pulsing of an internal combustion engine is musical!

ATB from George

PS: The use of sound booths in recording studios is only slightly less awful in music ensemble terms than recording the various instrumental and sung lines separately, performed to a headphone click beat! And then editing them together to simulate a so called live sounding performance ...

You may guess that there is a good deal about music today that I am not particularly in tune with!

Originally Posted by Hungryhalibut:
Originally Posted by HTM_1968:

HH's SL2s look suspiciously like my old pair . Here are the replacement speakers.

The guy who had them before me swapped to Kudos Super 20s. Maybe they got them from you but didn't take to them.....

Well if they were mine they're feckin' great so enjoy.

Originally Posted by shahar:

I know I should be jealous of the set-ups or the socks but living in a very hot country without a decent winter (Israel) makes me so jealous only of this beautiful fireplaces!

As well as owning some funky socks, I also possess a beautiful fireplace in my 16th century pub. Thought you might like to see it. Probably a bit hot for Israel though.

HH sorry to go off topic.

Originally Posted by Jan-Erik Nordoen:

I'll swap my home with your pub for week.

A home-swapping thread is a wonderful idea to allow Naimees to experience different systems! 

Nigelb that is one awesome looking fireplace - I miss old English pubs!

I would post a pic here but I fear my humble entry-level socks may pale in comparison to all the great-looking high-end socks in this thread. I'm getting the urge to invest in some sock tweaking or upgrades - maybe starting with some sock tuning pads and adding some dedicated support socks later. Will a dedicated mains Socket help?

I'll get my coat...

Likes (0)