Hugo 2

I don't use EQ myself either, and I don't agree with the Dirac type solution of trying to correct a speaker by measuring at the listening position and then EQing the inverse. But I reckon if I had problem with a room mode say then a modest notch filter would be worth trying, and similarly slightly nudging the top end up or down to mitigate the effects of a hard or soft room would be OK. J River seems to have a very good equaliser built in, and that's only for starters - there are all sorts of convolution options available that are beyond the scope of my brain. My solution is to have the speakers well away from walls and to listen close, and I am indeed lucky enough to have a decent sized room (not to mention a tolerant wife). 

Hugo 2 doesn't make Hugo a poor DAC but there is an uplift in sound quality. Music is more three dimensional and realistic. It also has a remote control and future developments such as m-scaler and a wireless streamer add on device will give it a long shelf life.

The filters are very subtle. The incisive filters are subtly brighter than the warm filters but they won't cure an overly bright or soft system. The incisive filter is brighter because you perceive the starting and stopping of notes better where a lot of high frequencies live.

Halloween Man posted:

God stuff, let us know what you think. I ordered black one back in Feb, dealer got his silver demo one first and I had to wait another week for black. Anyway, they both sound the same!

What speakers are you using?

Will do. I'm using Guru Juniors

Got my Hugo 2 today. I'm trying to contain my excitement. OMG!
Listened to a few tracks from a bit of Jazz to Kate Bush and Massive attack, it's sounds so clean and spacious with a bass has such impact and depth! Never heard the previous Hugo so can't comment or compare on its sound. But from my previous DAC 2Qute and Mojo, on the basis of what I've heard so far, have to agree with Halloween man it has a massive uplift in sound. Vinyl has been my main source, think the Hugo 2 could change that!
WOW!

Congrats on your new Hugo 2. I agree it is quite an upgrade from the original and sounds wonderful.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place with ATC actives - I'm finding SCM19A too unforgiving on too many tracks, and found SCM40A had too much bass on some tracks for my room. They are both pretty transparent speakers in that they just really tell it as it is but the SCM40A is definitively more forgiving, I suspect due to the dedicated mid driver, tweeter crossover, and more bass warmth. I've requested my old SCM40A speakers back as I prefer their presentation and will just apply EQ to reduce bass to the tracks where it's needed. In iTunes you can apply EQ settings to individual tracks so not every track has to have it enabled.

Hi Halloween Man,

Could it possibly be iTunes that is the issue as I didn't find the SQ that great and now use Roon?

Perhaps give Audirvana a try just to rule out the source.

As you know I use the SCM40A in a similar size room with a Huge TT with no bass issues at all

Good luck.

Muttonjef posted:

Hi Halloween Man,

Could it possibly be iTunes that is the issue as I didn't find the SQ that great and now use Roon?

Perhaps give Audirvana a try just to rule out the source.

As you know I use the SCM40A in a similar size room with a Huge TT with no bass issues at all

Good luck.

+1: I hadn't twigged that you weee using iTunes direct to Hugo, as I had in mind you were another Audirvana user (did you maybe try it sometime?) I'veno idea if iTunes may be the culprit as I've never used it outside of having to to play music on iPhone, when I really dislike it for operational reasons, but

Audirvana certainly is good , though since Apple's last major IOS "upgrade" the OS doesn't allow direct mode (the best quality mode), except. by using a work-around -straightforward but a hassle after every IOS  (or not updating IOS, which is some  people's solution).

Thanks. I get the same room mode bass issue regardless of player. I have tried Roon free trial and thought the DSP EQ was superb. Not sure itunes eq converts to 64 bit like roon does. impressive.

thanks ib. you were right i did use audirvana but after the issue you described as well as control issues i reverted back to itunes.

Regarding the Hugo 2, the remote shows Coax 1 & 2. Any ideas on connecting to a second coax input?

Messaged Chord and the reply was:

Congratulations! Sure, Hugo 2 can run a little warm especially with the current weather we're experiencing. But coming onto the Coax, just like a stereo headphone jack serves two channels, so does the Coax input on Hugo 2. Tip and sleeve = Coax 1 and Ring and sleeve = Coax 2.

Still not understanding?

Thx

If your coax cable is wired tip and sleeve, select input coax 1.

If your coax cable is wired ring and sleeve, select input coax 2.

There isn’t an additional coax input.

Although in theory you could get a special cable made that would allow 2 devices to be connected to the one coax input.

fatcat posted:

If your coax cable is wired tip and sleeve, select input coax 1.

If your coax cable is wired ring and sleeve, select input coax 2.

There isn’t an additional coax input.

Although in theory you could get a special cable made that would allow 2 devices to be connected to the one coax input.

Thanks for the illustration Fatcat. I get it now.

Likes (1)
Dave***t