I am so sick of streaming....

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Hm, I am not so sure, I have spent all my adult life involved with IT starting in the mid eighties, with audio, video, digital TV, home STB tech, IP voice, contact centres and multi channel automation, hosted and web services, data networks and software analyzers, and I think things have got hugely simpler.. there has been a huge convergence of information technologies and less proprietary standards out there... and also we have the www which makes look up and reference infinitely easier than the late eighties and early 90s when one had to wade through massive lever arch folders and that was a real challenge keeping updated...

I think the challenge is with the mass consumerisation of home  IT product, and in the name of increased deployment simplicity and reduced costs many compromises are made, but these are not made clear to the consumer... and descriptions are over simplified and distorted with product marketing speak and indeed at one level this had made home IT products  more accessible but the down side is there a real lack of clarity on how devices are working and what methods they are using to work... hence denying more informed consumers to make proper value judgements and decisions and adding to consumer frustration when things are not working as expected..

Hi Simon,

Just like to comment on your really helpful and informative postings on this subject. Really excellent but as ever I find the more I know, the more I don't know.. Keep up the good work.

Sadly I'm coming to the conclusion that Wi-Fi ,Wireless etc etc is for lifestyle products with lifestyle sound in general for people with lifestyle expectations. Old git users like myself whilst embracing the lifestyle world of convenience demand Hi-Fidelity solutions for the Hi-Fidelity sounds. That is why after all we're all here. To get the best sound out of deep love of music.

Kind Regards

RR

An update, since I started this whole mess of a thread.

First, thanks again to Pedro, Huge, Simon, Phil, and others who have contributed ideas, troubleshooting, and other suggestions. Pedro, I reached out to you on LinkedIn.

I did download a wifi analyzer app to my phone - not sure what was the case in the past, but for a fairly normal USA residential/suburban neighborhood with no apartments, there sure does seem to be a boatload of traffic competing for the 11 available wifi channels. In the evenings, I can see 12-13 signals including mine...I can only imagine how it might be in an apartment setting, with people in much closer proximity. And when it is like that, is when the dropouts occur. I can go to my PoS router and change channels based on what i see, but the traffic changes...and the router does a TERRIBLE job if you leave it set to [pick the best channel on its own. Last night it put me to channel one, which was where most of the other network traffic was. Ridiculous.

I wonder if the new fiber service has better routers (I don't have it but others may) and now I am getting interference where before I wasn't so much. Again, I didn't have the app before so I can't know what was the state of affairs a couple of months ago.

My signal is never above -40 dB according to the app - what would be the expected?

It still annoys me that the SBT never has drop outs and the 272 does, but that means nothing in the big picture. I am convinced to try to figure out how to go Ethernet, but to do so without a remodel or major expenditure to get the Ethernet cable to where it would need to be. Even positioning Simon's extenders (which might be my preferred solution) would take some sheet rock work that exceeds my abilities - at least if I don't want it to look like crap.

DrMark posted:

First, thanks again to Pedro, Huge, Simon, Phil, and others who have contributed ideas, troubleshooting, and other suggestions. Pedro, I reached out to you on LinkedIn.

Got your LinkedIn and replied. Has anyone here done telemetry over mains? I've heard of folks doing this for HDMI, though I haven't tried that either. I wonder if that might work for your application without having to wire ethernet. The TP-Link AV200 for example costs $24.99 on Amazon. That might give you the benefits of hardwiring without the hassles of running long cables. Apologies if others have suggested this already and I missed it.

DrMark posted:

An update, since I started this whole mess of a thread.

I did download a wifi analyzer app to my phone - not sure what was the case in the past, but for a fairly normal USA residential/suburban neighborhood with no apartments, there sure does seem to be a boatload of traffic competing for the 11 available wifi channels. In the evenings, I can see 12-13 signals including mine...I can only imagine how it might be in an apartment setting, with people in much closer proximity. And when it is like that, is when the dropouts occur. I can go to my PoS router and change channels based on what i see, but the traffic changes...and the router does a TERRIBLE job if you leave it set to [pick the best channel on its own. Last night it put me to channel one, which was where most of the other network traffic was. Ridiculous.

I wonder if the new fiber service has better routers (I don't have it but others may) and now I am getting interference where before I wasn't so much. Again, I didn't have the app before so I can't know what was the state of affairs a couple of months ago.

My signal is never above -40 dB according to the app - what would be the expected?

It still annoys me that the SBT never has drop outs and the 272 does, but that means nothing in the big picture. I am convinced to try to figure out how to go Ethernet, but to do so without a remodel or major expenditure to get the Ethernet cable to where it would need to be. Even positioning Simon's extenders (which might be my preferred solution) would take some sheet rock work that exceeds my abilities - at least if I don't want it to look like crap.

Hi there,

OMHO I feel the SBT is like Amazon Echo Dot, Sonos and all the Android phones & Apple products and the lifestyle items. "We will stay connected under any conditions you throw at us",  because thats part of our selling point. The esoteric products for hi-fi are much more picky in my experience and just say "bugger it" when the going gets a bit tougher, sound quality is what we are all about.

Bit like highly strung supercars etc. If you want reliability more than performance, buy a Toyota, Mazda,BMW etc etc

Enjoy

RR

perizoqui posted:
DrMark posted:

Got your LinkedIn and replied. Has anyone here done telemetry over mains? I've heard of folks doing this for HDMI, though I haven't tried that either. I wonder if that might work for your application without having to wire ethernet. The TP-Link AV200 for example costs $24.99 on Amazon. That might give you the benefits of hardwiring without the hassles of running long cables. Apologies if others have suggested this already and I missed it.

Phil's document on this is spot on - treat such mains network products speculatively - you may get lucky but then then again... one thing for sure and again Phil summarises far better than I could in Layman's terms - you CAN'T treat them as a wired solution at all - they are in fact a radio solutions using the mains wiring as a RF guide.

Add Reply