In praise of 272/250DR

cyclo posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

I did a 20 mile cycle ride this morning and a six mile walk this afternoon - not a lot I know, but it was really hot - and am now relaxing with a glass of rosé and a Toumani Diabate album before dinner. Since getting my 272/250 and SL2s, and finalising the wires early last year, I've just forgotten about the system, stick on a record and enjoy it. It's not been like that for years. One of the reasons I chose the system is because it's hard to upgrade and is just right as it is. Hifi is a means to play records, not something to stress about. 

And music always seems to sound better after a spin on the bike.

It's all the dopamine released by exercise.I am a avid cyclist and always feel brilliant after a 2 hour ride and getting home and having a shower and tasty food and a glass of wine.Getting some tunes on is the icing on the cake.

Those considering a mains lead for £2000 should buy a £2000 bike it will do wonders for your health and in comparison to the lead you can appreciate its VFM .Also you will save money on public transport if you use it and can put the money towards more music.

Tabby cat posted:

Those considering a mains lead for £2000 should buy a £2000 bike it will do wonders for your health and in comparison to the lead you can appreciate its VFM .Also you will save money on public transport if you use it and can put the money towards more music.

Good posting, I absolutely agree!! 

It's  weird how much things cost. My Superlumina din to XLR wire costs about £1,600, for a bit of wire and two wobbly plugs. Yet my bike was 'only' £1,100 and has top notch Ultegra gears and carbon fibre forks and seat post, is lovely to ride and gets me out and about in the countryside as well as being really useful to pop to the shops when I don't fancy walking. Of course the bike is mass produced but you get a lot for your money, whereas the wire is just that - a bit of wire. Anyway, I'm very fortunate as I have both. 

It's probably interference over the mains. Turn everything else -other than the Naim stuff - in the house off and see if the hum stops. Then turn things back on one at a time and you'll see what's causing it. Dedicated mains can help here, though it's not guaranteed to work. Even if it doesn't cure the hum it will improve the sound. We used to get clicking from light switches through the speakers and installing the mains circuit stopped it completely. Our 250 has never once hummed in the two years we've had it. 

My 300PS hums a little and the 555PS hums a bit more.  Nothing to do with mains, I have a mains "DC blocker" (i.e. a high-pass filter, @ approx 1-5Hz).

The 300PS is detectable @ 1m, the 555 @ 2m; but only when it's quiet in the house.

I've had three different Naim power amps, all used on the same mains circuit. Two of them hummed louder than I'd have liked, the other one (my current 200DR) is much more quiet. I didn't find putting it on a dedicated mains circuit to reduce the hum, although it did improve sound quality.

Toroidal transformer hum is related to three things

1   If the mains supply is asymmetric
2   The size of the transformer
3   Random variance between individual transformers

The use of the transformer (type of power supply / power amp / etc.) is irrelevant!

(P.S.  Adjusted the incorrect use of asymmetrical to asymmetric as I'm not American!)

Must have been lucky been using Naim for well over thirty years changing my Olive set up last year for new black boxes the XPS dr and Supercap dr are virtually silent the 250 dr could be quite buzzy at times have since upgraded to a 300 dr and fortunately this is also extremely quiet.

Kenth Immerbo posted:
2WheelsRBetter posted:
Kenth Immerbo posted:

Listening too the new Jaco P Live on CD via analogin (CD5XS) and it's so much better then my NaitXS already.

Just curious - have you tried listening to CD5XS through "digital in" into the 272?  I'm curious how the two DACs compare.

Day 2

fiddeling around with all the different option that the 272 gives you and thats just endless and sound is getting better over all so it's hard to tell whats the best, but CD5XS as a transport via Spidif out too optical in2 in my case using the BNC adapter with a cheap monster cable is the best right now.

(Opening bottle No2 of that french bubbel Wine)  

I like Stanley Clarke 

Thanks very much for this report back.  I am using an Oppo BDP-83SE as digital transport via SPIDIF optical to the 272 and was curious how the 272's DAC compares to that in the CD5XS.  It's reassuring to know that you find the 272's DAC preferable. 

Likes (1)
Cloud Sauce