Is the forum in need of an overhaul?

I do like the "What are you listening to..." thread, even though I haven't posted there for a while.

George's "Nice Photos" thread is always enjoyable to look at, but i'm finding the artistic and technical qualities are now far beyond my capabilities and that might be putting others off contributing as well as myself.

The Hi-fi, Streaming and Home Theatre forums are always full of good, useful information, even if you do have to filter out slight bias and a few cable myths from time to time.

The Padded Cell is aptly named, but generally good-natured. It certainly provides a variety of different points of view. and opens the eyes, if not the mind !!

I have found more than a little new music on this forum. I do think so areas are a bit pedantic and esoteric, but that is some people's choice where hi-fi is a greater part of the hobby they enjoy than music, and that is OK..."horses for courses" (AN expression I have learned from the forum. I can also now "fettle" with the best of them!)

Music is my main interest by a long, long way. And the forum has turned me on to a fair bit. I am pretty busy, so I barely have time to look much these days.

On equipment threads I will contribute if I have experience; I have had a fair amount of Naim kit through the years, although nothing near the likes of some folks here, and when technical issues arise, I have found the forum to be a pretty helpful place, both for myself and others.

Don Atkinson posted:

George's "Nice Photos" thread is always enjoyable to look at, but i'm finding the artistic and technical qualities are now far beyond my capabilities and that might be putting others off contributing as well as myself.

Funny you should say that Don but that is what kind of thought I get when looking at the Hi Fi pics thread. I almost get a little intimidated by the quality of some of the other members system.

ewemon posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

Funny you should say that Don but that is what kind of thought I get when looking at the Hi Fi pics thread. I almost get a little intimidated by the quality of some of the other members system.

These things can be an issue but I have to say my favourite system pics are always those of the simpler systems I find pictures of stack and stacks of Fraim quite boring where as an arty black and white photo of a 3 box Chrome Bumper system is a really beautiful thing.

Richard Dane posted:
kuma posted:

Chaps,

This forum is fine to me so long as my Community Ranking is #1.

Kuma, at over 150,000 points your position at No. 1 is safe for quite some time.  I'm at No. 2 and I've only just crossed the 100,000 point mark...

Richard

Idle curiosity, no ulterior motive I promise, but please would you explain to me the rationale behind this 'ranking' system? I struggle to understand why anyone should be interested in how often individuals post, given that quantity quite obviously has no correlation to quality!

Tim

Richard Dane posted:

Tim, no rationale really, just a bit of fun from Hoop La.  I did find out the formula, but in the spirit of keeping things  fun, I'm keeping quiet...

It's how many times you use the letter "a" raised to the power of your birthdate taken as an offset from 1900 multiplied by the ASCII values for all the characters in your National Security number added together isn't it?

Phil

Richard Dane posted:

Tim, no rationale really, just a bit of fun from Hoop La.  I did find out the formula, but in the spirit of keeping things  fun, I'm keeping quiet...

Sorry Richard, I wasn't enquiring about the formula, simply why there is any form of ranking at all? I did waste an hour of my life that I'll never get back(!) conducting a brief survey of the posting activity of some of the highest ranked contributors- as I said earlier, no discernible (to these eyes) correlation between quantity and quality!

In my view anyone who uses +1 should drop ten places automatically, anyone who uses a grocer's apostrophe should lose 20, anyone who puts an apostrophe before the s in a plural should lose 30 and anyone who posts that they are listening to prog should lose 40. Anyone liking The Smiths should, naturally, go up 10 places every time they mention them. I'm sure Richard could get the algorithm altered...

osprey posted:

It all started to go downhill when Naim changed its logo‚Ķ the allurement of the green glow has gone. 

Hmmm. Normally just contain myself to the occasional post under Streaming Audio, but with the latest email from Naim Records this post reminded me to wonder for how much longer purchasers of Naim gear will recognise the origins of their logo

Logo

Roger

Hungryhalibut posted:

In my view anyone who uses +1 should drop ten places automatically, anyone who uses a grocer's apostrophe should lose 20, anyone who puts an apostrophe before the s in a plural should lose 30 and anyone who posts that they are listening to prog should lose 40. Anyone liking The Smiths should, naturally, go up 10 places every time they mention them. I'm sure Richard could get the algorithm altered...

+1. Erm, I mean that I agree with your suggestion whole-heartedly.

Hungryhalibut posted:

And anyone who uses the word "loose" when they mean "lose" should be shunned.

sjbabbey posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

Now play nicely please...

Phil

Phil Harris posted:
sjbabbey posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

Now play nicely please...

Phil

Aw, you're no fun

Hungryhalibut posted:

...altered??

Hungryhalibut posted:

+1's

Hungryhalibut posted:

Ah, The Smith's's's who unfortunately featured on that alleged DJ Jeremy Vine's show the other day on Radio 2. Jeremy eulogised about the dirge he was going to play and it certainly did not fail as a dirge. As you might guess, I am not a fan of the Mournful Morrissey and feel that any mention of him or them is definitely a -1,000.

Hungryhalibut posted:

This sounds awfully familiar. Sure I've heard it before. 

Bit of a hobby horse maybe. 

Being a site dedicated to one brand is always going to have limitations.

Peaks of activity, coinciding with releases of products and troughs correlating with existing systems having been 'optimised' through advice on here.

The OP's post is a product of a trough. Last peak being DR. Wait until the new Uniti range finally releases, this will trigger more streaming/corner posts, NAS etc.

Let's hope so.

I used to be quite active in the Hi Fi Corner when the Olive range was current, as I had a lot of experience of many of the products in that range, so I felt I could contribute something useful to a discussion about (say) whether to add an XPS to a CDX rather than a Supercap to an 82. However, I'm pretty much a spectator there now, as I have no experience with the current range, only popping up from time to time to counter the assertion that "speakers do indeed have the single biggest influence on the character of the sound we hear"  when it's presented without the qualifier in my experience.

Add Reply