So let’s talk about the main events. First the ND555 and later the NDX.
First thing to say was that they had organized the entry into the rooms into an odd way. You had to register yourself on a not very well working French keyboard. At the NDX one I couldn’t even find the dot and it crashed. The idea as such was ok, to ensure no overbooking at not people popping in an out, but the result was rather cumbersome.
The first demo was a problem, they had some technical issues in the first demo and the stuff wasn’t yet at it’s peak, so I had something I need to go again and hear it properly.
which I did after lunch. The demo worked and was much better moderated. So besides the odd effect that the Focals are not my favorites, I found them in this setup much more digestible. They had a good set of demo pieces to show prat and detail, so as such it gave a good impression. So if I tune out the effects of the Focals and the Statement, what did I notice about the ND555
1. Massive PRAT, incredible and very enjoyable. The transcends of notes are working perfect.
2. Soundstage is incredible. You don’t hear so often that type of sound stage
3. Detail retrieval, you could hear things happening which I wouldn’t hear in other setups.
4. Tonality was right on the spot, sometimes a bit bloat in bass, but I had the feeling it was more the speakers given the rest of the accuracy, or perhaps still something to improve.
5. It sounded sometimes so perfect, so effortless.
now of course - I am not sure what effect the other components had on the picture. But I have heard the statement with Wilson Benesch and Linn streamer. And in comparison I would say , much better PRAT detail retrieval similar or better.
So while I don’t know the CD555 - I can belief the claim that’s Naim’s best source. Let’s see if I am right in real circumstances with less accomplished other components.....
More photos to follow. And I do understand that people might be less positive as they get too much taken away by the effects of the speakers. While I had the feeling that the speakers had some negative effects - but that it was okish. Also a point to remark the sound in the morning was by far not so good as the demo I had after lunch, and no it wasn’t me....