Munich High End 2017

Hungryhalibut posted:
b_lund posted:
Clive B posted:
sunbeamgls posted: 

I have read so many negative comments about shows with Naim and Focal - it's such a shame. 

I didn't last long in Naim's "big room" at Acoustica's recent show.

I couldn't decide if it's that I just don't enjoy the sound of Focal speakers, or whether it's the Naim / Focal combo which fails to excite.

Sadly, the two brands are now inextricably linked at public events, so I'll just have to pass, I'm afraid. 

dave marshall posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:
b_lund posted:
Clive B posted:
sunbeamgls posted: 

I have read so many negative comments about shows with Naim and Focal - it's such a shame. 

I didn't last long in Naim's "big room" at Acoustica's recent show.

I couldn't decide if it's that I just don't enjoy the sound of Focal speakers, or whether it's the Naim / Focal combo which fails to excite.

Sadly, the two brands are now inextricably linked at public events, so I'll just have to pass, I'm afraid. 

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I've heard half a dozen or so Naim/Focal systems at shows, and every one of them was a complete turn-off to my ears. Other speaker manufacturers demonstrating their wares using Naim systems generally sounded very good, including Kudos, Dynaudio and Russel K, so it does seem to be a Focal thing. 

Adi Stefan posted:

Hello, theres nothing worng with focal and/or naim, from my experience i can tell sure isn't mismatch, there are many factors like time, room size, system components...try to demo to dealer and you will change perception.

I have to go with Chrissu on this one - and he mentions 6 different systems.  I have similar experiences at shows and dealers - classic / 500 / Statement and Utopia just don't seem to work together.  Naim with Sopra is a step in the right direction. Uniti or XS seem to work OK with Aria.

The last show I went to, Russell K's sounded very poor, Kudos poor, Harbeth, most brands poor, but that doesn't mean any of the aforementioned should be steered clear of.... It is generally the room, the acoustics, ect ect

Even the naim room didn't sound any where near as good as it should. 

One of the best sounding speakers was a £1000 Revel offering, with the system sat on a dodgy rack bought from lkea....

For the first time i heard Harbeth speakers (big ones).

The sound was way beyond bad! It is not possible that these speakers sound so bad.

Room acoustics,  speaker positioning, other factors, i don't know. There was no bass whatsover, and the rest was bland.

Regards,

Rui

So just closed the 2nd and last day of the show. I will publish my impressions from the show in the coming days. But would agree with the others I have never been a fan of the Focal Speakers in combination with Naim, a missed opportunity in my ears.

The best sounding systems of the show, in no particular order....

- AVM and Gauder Akustik Berlina RC8

- Burmeister with not yet ready for sale big Speakers 

- Audionet Heisenberg Amplification their statement, with Gauder Akustik Berlina RC8

- Avantgarde Acoustic with big horns and big bass cabinets, the Tocatta sounded quite impressive

- MBL as always with their system just short of 400k

I did the comparison Shure 846 against the KSE1500. It was quite difficult as at first the connection to my Sony didn't work, and the usual condition on the show are not perfect. 

So first impression fit of the KSE1500 is less good, as the cable is a bit more sturdy. But still fantastic as compared to any other custom in ears. Tonality is better - faster and more accurate. A more analytical in ear, with a bit less bass weight in it's standard settings. Volume settings where a bit dissapointing. The 846 directly connected seem to play louder then the KSE 1500. And I had the feeling that the KSE1500 didn't yet have less flying hours then needed to sound at it's best. In last years show - while short audition - I was more blown away.

So verdict. I would like to hear it a bit more, before I would buy it. It's better, more accurate....., but the 846 seems to sound more easy, more forgiven......, for mobile use that's sometimes preferred.

To compete the headphone section. The Focal Utopia was the clear winnner at a distance. However I always ask myself what the usecase is of this setup unless you can't put your main system on good volume it seems like a strange offering as an open headphone.

The surprisingly good sounding one was the Ultrasone Edition 8EX, very smooth very pleasant. Well amplified it is at a very high level. And it's sounding great for being closed. I couldn't compare it with the best one so far the Edition 5 - so I don"t know which one is king in that field.

Bert Schurink posted:

To compete the headphone section. The Focal Utopia was the clear winnner at a distance. However I always ask myself what the usecase is of this setup unless you can't put your main system on good volume it seems like a strange offering as an open headphone.

The surprisingly good sounding one was the Ultrasone Edition 8EX, very smooth very pleasant. Well amplified it is at a very high level. And it's sounding great for being closed. I couldn't compare it with the best one so far the Edition 5 - so I don"t know which one is king in that field.

Bert,did you actually get to listen to the Utopia headphones?In my case,i am moving from a house to an apartment,so if i want to crank up the volume at night...it will be with these headphones.

Add Reply