Nac 32.5 Questions

Tam Tam is offline. Click for Member Snapshot.

February 5, 2005 12:49 PM

My nac 32.5 should be arriving soon and ought to rectify the current mullet tendencies of my system. However, I have a few questions. First of all, which input is it best to hook my cd5x up to? I've heard it said that the tuner input is better than each of the tape loops (however, since I'm also running a nat 101 and snaps, I kindof dislike the idea of putting my cd on the tuner input and the tuner on the tape input and am reluctant to do so, unless it will sound significantly better. Also, since I will be sending to unit off for a service soon, I have heard that naim will convert the tape input so that it no longer has record out. Is this true, will it make the tape input equivalent to the tuner input and can it be done to just one of the tape inputs?

The second issue is that of power supplies. Currently I have my nac 92 powered off a flatcap. However, my attention keeps being drawn to the nagging spare output on the snaps, currently powering my nat 101. It's only 4 pins (though when funds allow I'll be sending the tuner off to naim for a recap and dual-railing of this output). Until then, would it be better to have the 101 and 32.5 both powered off the snaps and use the flatcap on cd5x. Obviously the 32.5 will sound less good than with the flatcap, however, since the cd5x would have a psu would this offset the decrease in performance? Also, will the snaps struggle to power these two?

Any thoughts?

regards,

Tam

February 5, 2005 1:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bazz:
Tam

I owned a 32.5 for over twenty years, there's no doubt that the tuner input sounds best. It's not a huge difference but noticeable nonetheless. I eventually reached the stage where I only had either tuner or CD connected and would get up to switch between them.

The 32.5 also sounds considerably more lively with phono boards removed and tape buffer boards left in. I tried removing the output from tape 1 on mine but couldn't hear any improvement.

You can only use your Snaps to power one item, otherwise you'll create an earth loop, which is a Bad Thing.

I've heard that about the phono boards, unfortunately, I have to leave them in since I've got a record player. I thought the SNAPS was explicitly designed to power two things (hence the two power outputs instead of just one), but perhaps I'm wrong.

regards,

Tam

Like Like (0 likes)

February 5, 2005 1:52 PM

Tam

You're probably wondering why my original post disappeared. I was going to add to it, but you copied and reposted while I was mucking around, so there you are!

I think only Flatcap 2 is meant to power two items. Older Hicaps had a four pin powered socket as well as the dual rail five pin to power older single rail preamps or Naxos,

I used to own a Snaps, thinking back I only recall it having one powered socket.

Like Like (0 likes)

February 5, 2005 1:58 PM

Bazz - that's computers for you!

My snaps definitely has two power outputs (have just checked) both with 4 pins, and the implication from the wiring diagram on the back is that it can power two things. However, I bought it without a manual and naim's website doesn't have one. Perhaps this is the difference between snaps 1 and 2.

regards,

Tam

Like Like (0 likes)

February 5, 2005 2:15 PM

You are quite right - the Snaps was designed to power 2 things. Take no notice of people who don't know what they're talking about.
As for the 32.5 why not put 321 straight thru boards on the phono 2 input and then connect the CD5 to the phono 2 connectors?

Bob

Like Like (0 likes)

February 5, 2005 3:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bob mccluckie:
You are quite right - the Snaps was designed to power 2 things. Take no notice of people who don't know what they're talking about.
As for the 32.5 why not put 321 straight thru boards on the phono 2 input and then connect the CD5 to the phono 2 connectors?

Bob

Might try that, since it has those boards on the second phono.

Anyone got any thought as to whether the performance drop in switching from the flatcap to the snaps (only single rail) on the pre will be worth the gain from putting the flatcap on the cd5x?

regards,

Tam

Like Like (0 likes)

February 5, 2005 4:31 PM

Hi Tam

I think you will find that the NAC32.5 requires a dual rail input from the power supply, the 32 and 42 were powered by a single rail of the Snaps, the second supply being designed for a cross-over etc. When Naim brought out the HiCap the 32's and 42's could be converted to accept the upgraded dual rail supply and became designated as the 32.5 and 42.5

As Bob says the Snaps is easy to upgrade to dual rail, just do a search on Snaps Upgrade.

Also, a cheap upgrade for the 32.5 was to use NAC72 boards, not sure if they are still available but again worth a search in the forum.

Here's one we made earlier

Regards

Andy

Like Like (0 likes)

February 5, 2005 5:23 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but the 32.5 has both a 4 pin and a 5 pin output socket (the 4 pin would normally be used if I were powering it from a power amp). Given that a power amp would only provide one rail of power, it stands to reason that the 32.5 would work with one rail from a snaps (just not as well).

Long run I am going to have it dual railed, but I'd prefer to get naim to do it (since it's about 17 years old and it needs a service anyway). I'm not keen to start fiddling around with the kit myself, even if it is fairly simple.

I certainly intend to have the 72 boards put in. I think I've read here that they're still available (it's the 32 to 32.5 conversion that naim no longer offer).

Regards,

Tam

Like Like (0 likes)

February 5, 2005 6:21 PM

tam, I used to have a 32-5. I seem to remember using the aux input to connect my cd player. Also, since you alreay have a 250, you should really get yourself a hicap for the 32-5. My previous system was cdx/32-5/hicap/250. Really a well balanced classic naim system. Have fun! david

Like Like (0 likes)

February 5, 2005 7:01 PM

Hi Tam

Apologies, you are right I just did an RTFM and it shows you can indeed use the Single Rail SNAPS inline with a SNAIC 4.

Good luck with teh conversion and let us know how it sounds, I'm thinking of puting together much the same as a second system and would like to know how the 72 boards work out?

Regards

Andy

Like Like (0 likes)

February 5, 2005 7:43 PM

David - Hicap is on the list (and will be the next upgrade, just as soon as funds allow.....)

Andy - I'll let you know how the 72 boards sound (assuming naim still do them). Must be nice to be able to consider all this as a second system, what have you got in your main one?

regards,

Tam

Like Like (0 likes)

February 6, 2005 3:35 AM

Hi Tam

I worked up to CDSII/52/2x250/HC/SNAXO/SBL/LP12 but hope to have a listening room soon so will want a 2'nd system for the living room, I have an old SNAPS and the 32's are excellent value for money and maybe a 110 will come along to do it justice. My wife would never for give me if I took the Naim sound away from the main part of the house Smile

Regards

Andy

Like Like (0 likes)

February 6, 2005 10:13 AM

Ref input boards for the 32.5.
You had better call Naim & check.
I wanted a set of 'straight through' boards last week for an upcoming revision to the 'sondek, and they have non left whatsoever, and are not going to be able to supply any more.
They do have limited stock of some of the others, but they are going quickly.
As the amount of component parts they would have to buy in a batch now is simply to many to have in stock for the call that there is for these parts.
You can always keep an eye on Ebay?
Good luck..
Had my 32.5 for yonks now, & still think it's brilliant.

Like Like (0 likes)

February 6, 2005 2:07 PM

Andy - nice system.

Steve - thanks for the info. I've got plenty of boards coming with the amp (two sets of mm, a set of mc and a set of straight through so that shouldn't be a problem). I think naim have said on this forum that they're still doing the 72 board upgrade but not the 32 to 32.5 conversion. I'll drop them a line and find out.

regards,

Tam

Like Like (0 likes)

February 11, 2005 11:00 PM

Andy - My nac 32.5 is here and it sounds greatly. Sadly, naim tell me that they no longer make the 72 boards and are only able to do the upgrade if I could source the parts second hand (annoyingly, Adam said in his e-mail that the upgrade was significant and recommendable)

Still, the unit will be going back to salisbury anyway in a couple of weeks for a full service.

Regards,

Tam

Like Like (0 likes)

February 12, 2005 12:06 AM

Congratulations and the people that work for Naim can be just too truthful sometimes, that's how I ended up with an 82 rather than the 102 a few years ago but they have yet to be 'wrong'.

Maybe some boards will turn up, you never know, just keep scouring the ads.

Cheers

andy

Like Like (0 likes)

ClosedAdditional replies and votes are not permitted on this topic.