Naim 272 250DR XPS DR vs 125k of superlative separates -

Yesterday I had the absolute pleasure of system shopping. The Nagra HD dac $30k into a solution 530 amplifier $55k and the new Magico s5 MK2 speakers $38k a pair. I listened to some classical, vocal, jazz, dance ALT J, James Blake, etc etc.

The room was very well treated and everything was racked - cables were analysis plus oval 8's

The streamer was the Aurender N10 8k

The highs were so sweet and delicate. The music hung in the air effortlessly before me - the Nagra HD dac has extremely good bass and image height - its focuses the soundstage rather than widens it to compared let's say the MSB Dac 5. When I played Jazz and Memphis blues my partner - also in the dem, I could tell looked, a bit flat. Same so with the dance music listed above -  I noticed in the rack the 272, 250DR and the XPS DR and promptly asked the dealer to put in NACA 5 and play the Naim system through the Magicos

AND BLOW ME DOWN!

NAIM DOES IT AGAIN! 

It's perhaps time  - owners of the Nac 52 and Nap 135's start looking around and shopping. Naim may have finally succeeded in producing the classic sound at a classic price. 

Would it have sounded even better with the 300DR and a 555ps sure - but it wasn't necessary. This 3 box system is a one and done!

Original Post
redalphabet posted:
SNIP

It's perhaps time  - owners of the Nac 52 and Nap 135's start looking around and shopping. Naim may have finally succeeded in producing the classic sound at a classic price. 

SNIP

While I can well imagine that a relatively modest Naim system is more musically satisfying than an expensive 'Hi-End' system (been there, experienced that, many times ), do you really think that, as a pre/power, a 272/XPSDR/250DR is better than 52/135s?

it's the streaming option in the 272 that makes the system one and done. The 272 as a streamer and a preamp that is upgradable is the standout statement of note IMHO. As good as the SN2 is the 272, 250DR and XPS DR is really in another league - Much closer to the heart and soul of the olive separates. 

That's just it - I preferred the cds3 over the NDS - and the NDX and the Naim dac.

Then with the introduction of the 272 - The game changed. If you've got time - It's time to get out to the dealer's again and dem this combo. 

For 135 owners - sure let's dem the 300DR - 

A member of this forum has a Roksan TMS3/CD555/552/500/Arts and on both vinyl and CD it leaves a NDS/Statement/ Focal Grande for dead - in my opinion. 

The 272 is a great piece of equipment but carry out this test.  Play a track through streamed WAV from a server and then plug a Rega Apollo in to the 272 and play the same track on CD. 

Regards,

Lindsay

Bodger posted:

Am I the only pe son here growing tired of how the 272-250 is all you will even need? I do wonder why Naim make all that other inferior stuff any more! Maybe they can start shipping these with ear syringes too.

just wait, soon HH will  enter teaching us whats the one and only "3 boxes"

The Strat (Fender) posted:

The 272 is a great piece of equipment but carry out this test.  Play a track through streamed WAV from a server and then plug a Rega Apollo in to the 272 and play the same track on CD. 

Regards,

Lindsay

Reading this I did send my Apollo an extra smile

redalphabet posted:

...  I noticed in the rack the 272, 250DR and the XPS DR and promptly asked the dealer to put in NACA 5 and play the Naim system through the Magicos

AND BLOW ME DOWN!

NAIM DOES IT AGAIN! 

I'm not surpriced Naim (not Focal) usually win musically over the silly priced competition

b_lund posted:
Bodger posted:

Am I the only pe son here growing tired of how the 272-250 is all you will even need? I do wonder why Naim make all that other inferior stuff any more! Maybe they can start shipping these with ear syringes too.

just wait, soon HH will  enter teaching us whats the one and only "3 boxes"

Amen! I am looking forward to the thread of the "300 in da house" when he replaces his 250 with a 300, and then hear how fat and slow the 250 was.   

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm in hospital with a fractured skull, having been knocked off my bike, so cannot cope with sarky comments. Unless I'd had CPR from one of Emsworth's wonderful first responders I wouldn't be here at all, and I feel very lucky to have what I have. 

Hungryhalibut posted:

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm in hospital with a fractured skull, having been knocked off my bike, so cannot cope with sarky comments. Unless I'd had CPR from one of Emsworth's wonderful first responders I wouldn't be here at all, and I feel very lucky to have what I have. 

Ouch - sounds very unpleasant H.  Hope you have a speedy recovery.  Nick

Hungryhalibut posted:

Oh dear! Best wishes for your recovery Nigel.

Seems you have bigger fish to fry than responding to this forum. Take care of yourself and get well.

Blimey, what a weekend. Speedy recovery HH. MY wife went to hospital on Friday and we have found out she has Gaul stones. She is still in there. Hopefully out tomorrow. She will need a small op to remove gaul bladder.

Enjoy each day folks....you never know what's round the corner!!

Thanks everyone, your kind words are much appreciated. The chap who ran me down was in his 80s and the police did an eyesight test on him at the scene. He failed of course, and will never drive again, which I suppose is a crumb of comfort. And eventually I'll get  a new bike, as my beloved Cube is a write off. I've lost hearing in my right ear as the fracture means that brain fluid is filling the ear, so even the 272 won't be sounding that great for a while. 

Hungryhalibut posted:

Thanks everyone, your kind words are much appreciated. The chap who ran me down was in his 80s and the police did an eyesight test on him at the scene. He failed of course, and will never drive again, which I suppose is a crumb of comfort. And eventually I'll get  a new bike, as my beloved Cube is a write off. I've lost hearing in my right ear as the fracture means that brain fluid is filling the ear, so even the 272 won't be sounding that great for a while. 

Nigel, so sorry to hear of your accident.  Hope you get well soon as I still need someone for occasional music banter.  Best wishes

Hungryhalibut posted:
I'm in hospital with a fractured skull, having been knocked off my bike, so cannot cope with sarky comments. Unless I'd had CPR from one of Emsworth's wonderful first responders I wouldn't be here at all...

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. That happened to me many years back. I hope they had a good 'reason' for it, my assailant's excuse was that she was late getting up for the car boot sale that Sunday.

Likes (1)
Belfast Taxman