Naim and Zingali Overture 3 Speaker

May 26, 2005 10:09 PM

Does anyone have experience with the Zingali line of Speakers? Overture (3 / 4) or the HM series (112 / 115) with Naim equipment? Very little information is available on this speaker. How well does the Zingali speakers work with Naim equipment? Tube amplifiers? I currently use a Naim front end with mono tube amplifiers. I am considering purchasing a 200. Checking on speakers that will work with either the 200 or my Manley 300B PP/SE amps. Current speaker are Coincident Victory.

May 27, 2005 11:27 AM

Don't really know for sure, but my gut instinct is that Zingali would be better off with valve amps or maybe a good class A amp like a Sugden A21. Not really sure that Naim amps are the best choice for ultra efficient speakers. Hope this helps, but you really need to listen for yourself.

Like Like (0 likes)

May 27, 2005 3:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Brown:
Not really sure that Naim amps are the best choice for ultra efficient speakers.

Why would Naim have a problem or not be the "best choice" with Ultra efficient speakers? I am not a big fan of reviews but the Naim system was one of the best on Coincident Total Victory (97dB - 10 ohm).

The Zingali Speakers are:
Overture 3 - 93dB/6 ohms
Overture 4 - 94dB/6 ohms
HM112 - 97dB/8 ohms
HM115 - 98dB/8 ohms

I would be very interested in anyone who has heard the Zingali speaker in any system and what they think. Wish I had a dealer in my area. I do not have a Naim or Manley dealer in my area but I still bought the equipment. In 1980 I bought a LP12 and had it sent to me (took some practice but I can set up a LP12 as good as any dealer). The Zingali is one speaker I am thinking of changing to.

Other ideas for Naim 200 and Manley 300B?

Like Like (0 likes)

May 27, 2005 3:26 PM

Well one problem is that Naim volume controls often have a channel imbalance at low levels and you may need to turn the wick up some way before this clears itself. With very efficient speakers you might be listening at higher levels than you'd like before you're free of this effect. Another problem is that Naim amps aren't the quitest available, so with very efficient speakers hiss could become quite intrusive. You don't really need a lot of power with the speakers you have proposed, but as I say you really need to listen for yourself and reach your own conclusions.

Rich

Like Like (0 likes)

May 27, 2005 4:11 PM

I have some Kelly Trasducers which are 96db - 4ohms. No problem with any hiss and fantastic at low levels.

I have CDX,XPS,102,HiCap,250.

Like Like (0 likes)

May 27, 2005 4:18 PM

Ok fair enough.

Like Like (0 likes)
Tam Tam is offline. Click for Member Snapshot.

May 27, 2005 4:33 PM

I think the volume imbalance issue was limited to amps lower down the range (because the better pots that didn't suffer from this were too expensive - e.g. my nait 3 suffered, my 32.5 doesn't). However, naim's entry level models don't suffer now either, since the introduction of the resistor ladder volume control (one of the reasons for which was at that price point it outperformed a pot).

regards,

Tam

Like Like (0 likes)

ClosedAdditional replies and votes are not permitted on this topic.