Naim/Harbeth

Christoph

Room 6 x 4,5m. I`ve had them since Thursday only so not very experienced yet. So far they are placed at the same distance to front wall as C7, about 40cm measured from wall to back of speaker, but a bit wider apart each other, 2,1m side by side and 1,45m from side was. Toe in about 10cm. Listening position about 2,5m.

They are new and I have to show some patience while they run in, before conclusion. That said, so far I feel they hit my heart. 

My stereo dealer is very particular and set my SHL5's face 40" from back wall which is 12' wide.  I have a low wide coffee table between them and light fabric hanging in back.  He did not toe them in, I had done that before he showed up, but he let me know point blank all the things I did wrong.  I sit 8' away in IKEA bent wood rockers, love those chairs because they move.  The space opens up to the rest of the living/dining area.  The sound is incredible, rich and full.

Interestingly the Stereo stack is to the left behind portion of that speaker and when we pushed the stack  back square to the corner there was a horrible reverb he called a standing wave.  Pulling the left side 1" forward eliminated it .  After a difficult 6 hours for me I was so happy to see him drive off.  I've pencil marked where the speakers and the stands are on the floor.

He told me when he left "Don't ever sell these speakers, I had them and sold them, I regret that."

mudwolf posted:

My stereo dealer is very particular and set my SHL5's face 40" from back wall which is 12' wide.  I have a low wide coffee table between them and light fabric hanging in back.  He did not toe them in, I had done that before he showed up, but he let me know point blank all the things I did wrong.  I sit 8' away in IKEA bent wood rockers, love those chairs because they move.  The space opens up to the rest of the living/dining area.  The sound is incredible, rich and full.

Interestingly the Stereo stack is to the left behind portion of that speaker and when we pushed the stack  back square to the corner there was a horrible reverb he called a standing wave.  Pulling the left side 1" forward eliminated it .  After a difficult 6 hours for me I was so happy to see him drive off.  I've pencil marked where the speakers and the stands are on the floor.

He told me when he left "Don't ever sell these speakers, I had them and sold them, I regret that."

Thanks Mudwolf.

Could you please specify, are you talking 40 inches which means 1m from wall to speaker front and the front wall is 12 foot, about 3,6m? I`m a humble guy you know 

Noe toe in, interesting!

40 inches from front of speaker to front wall sounds about right to me. I think I have mine at 42 or 43 inches from the front wall. That said, I am aware that there will be others who prefer their speakers closer to the wall. The sound will be mostly warmer and thicker in the bass and midrange when speakers are closer to the wall. 

ryder. posted:

40 inches from front of speaker to front wall sounds about right to me. I think I have mine at 42 or 43 inches from the front wall. That said, I am aware that there will be others who prefer their speakers closer to the wall. The sound will be mostly warmer and thicker in the bass and midrange when speakers are closer to the wall. 

Ryder, 

When deciding on SHL5+ what other speakers were you considering? Was Harbeth’s involving intimacy a determinant? If say spending twice as much or more was possible, would you have selected another speaker while using Naim gear? My own experience is that while price is always consideration, often it fails to translate into listening experience that allows me come closer to the music. 

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Charles

CXF04 posted:

Ryder, 

When deciding on SHL5+ what other speakers were you considering? Was Harbeth’s involving intimacy a determinant? If say spending twice as much or more was possible, would you have selected another speaker while using Naim gear? My own experience is that while price is always consideration, often it fails to translate into listening experience that allows me come closer to the music. 

Charles

Hi Charles,

I have lived with the SHL5 (non-Plus) for about 7 years before I upgraded to the SHL5 Plus. I did consider other speakers but my bias toward Harbeth was just too strong, disregarding the fact that I compared both SHL5 non-Plus and SHL5 Plus side-by-side at the dealers before I made the decision. 

The only speaker I considered as an alternative to the SHL5+ was the ATC SCM19 v2. I didn't get to listen to it although I could as my mind was more or less made up when I listened to the SHL5+. I loved the sound of the older SHL5 despite its flaws, or perhaps I should say character, but the SHL5+ just took it to another level for me whilst retaining the house sound of the Harbeth. The other speaker I considered was Proac. I still think I will end up with a small Proac in the near future, specifically the Tablette 10 Signature although I already have the Dali Mentor Menuet in another setup. 

To be able to connect to the music on an emotional level is the key to most people and yes, the Harbeth did it for me in areas of intimacy. So far I haven't heard of a speaker that interest me as much as the Harbeth. You can say I am sort of stuck to the Harbeth so it is highly unlikely I would have gone with another speaker with the Naim even though I could afford it. I am sure there will be better speakers out there but I'm happy with my choice. There are just too many options out there to explore and I"m sure they all sound great. In the end we will just have to pick one. 

I’m at an early stage with my Harbeths and with placing them in my room. From playing at the lang wall, about 45cm from speakerback to wall and then moved to the short wall, about 75cm from speakerback to wall. As ryder describes, very different sounding and so far I like the latter better  

Super 20 are great speakers in it’s own way, but don’t have the naturality and mid as Harbeth. I’m even considering P3 or C7 with Atom in our living room, Proac Tablette 10 also tempt me. 

S

ryder. posted:
CXF04 posted:

Ryder, 

Charles

Hi Charles,

I have lived with the SHL5 (non-Plus) for about 7 years before I upgraded to the SHL5 Plus. I did consider other speakers but my bias toward Harbeth was just too strong, disregarding the fact that I compared both SHL5 non-Plus and SHL5 Plus side-by-side at the dealers before I made the decision. 

The only speaker I considered as an alternative to the SHL5+ was the ATC SCM19 v2. I didn't get to listen to it although I could as my mind was more or less made up when I listened to the SHL5+. I loved the sound of the older SHL5 despite its flaws, or perhaps I should say character, but the SHL5+ just took it to another level for me whilst retaining the house sound of the Harbeth. The other speaker I considered was Proac. I still think I will end up with a small Proac in the near future, specifically the Tablette 10 Signature although I already have the Dali Mentor Menuet in another setup. 

To be able to connect to the music on an emotional level is the key to most people and yes, the Harbeth did it for me in areas of intimacy. So far I haven't heard of a speaker that interest me as much as the Harbeth. You can say I am sort of stuck to the Harbeth so it is highly unlikely I would have gone with another speaker with the Naim even though I could afford it. I am sure there will be better speakers out there but I'm happy with my choice. There are just too many options out there to explore and I"m sure they all sound great. In the end we will just have to pick one. 

Ryder,

Thank you for your complete and meaningful response. Your experience with Harbeth further confirms what I continue to learn, that whatever foibles and placement challenges Harbeth line may have, a large percentage of owners find listening meaningful and sustainable. I've been buying equipment for close to 60-years and find most gratifying gear are one's you hate to pull  away from. As serious concert goer I know that having live performance in your home may sound like good idea, but often is too intense, while living with good music reproduction  can train one's musical memory to listen more carefully at performances and to recall elements of works even long after. 

Ryder, thank you again!

Charles         

Add Reply

Likes (0)