Naim Nac-N272 vs Cambridge 851E, N, D with ATC SCM50ASLT

Serge,

There is a general philosophy surrounding Naim that a system must be constructed source first but a few of us don't necessarily hold with that view - I think a more balanced approach focussing on synergy and speaker/room integration is better.   I don't know your speakers but I would suggest that a 272/250dr would be a big step up.

Good luck.

Lindsay

The Strat (Fender) posted:

Serge,

There is a general philosophy surrounding Naim that a system must be constructed source first but a few of us don't necessarily hold with that view - I think a more balanced approach focussing on synergy and speaker/room integration is better.   I don't know your speakers but I would suggest that a 272/250dr would be a big step up.

Good luck.

Lindsay

Thanks Lindsay,

I have active ATC SCM50ASLTs, so the power amp issue is resolved also...therefore I need only 272 and probably XPS DR later or sooner

I wouldn't - but only because Serge has active ATCs!!

Getting a 272 is the way I'd go, and add a XPSDR later, which as others have said lifts the 272 to a whole new level. 

As Serge already has a streaming setup the Naim will slot right in. If he went the other way with a Chord DAC, there is the job of setting up the necessary computer and working out how to control it. That's not to say it may or may not be better, which I can't comment on. All I know is that controlling everything off the Naim app is really easy. 

Hungryhalibut posted:

Getting a 272 is the way I'd go, and add a XPSDR later, which as others have said lifts the 272 to a whole new level. 

As Serge already has a streaming setup the Naim will slot right in. If he went the other way with a Chord DAC, there is the job of setting up the necessary computer and working out how to control it. That's not to say it may or may not be better, which I can't comment on. All I know is that controlling everything off the Naim app is really easy. 

Thanks, thats what I do now with the Cambridge app. I have 3 NAS servers (WD) total capacity 36 TB, so the streaming is the way to go I think also.

Hungryhalibut posted:

Ooops didn't recognise that - yes 272+XPS is the answer.

Tesilk posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

Thanks, thats what I do now with the Cambridge app. I have 3 NAS servers (WD) total capacity 36 TB, so the streaming is the way to go I think also.

Streaming is the only way to go with such a vast collection.

I would also suggest N272 + power supply. If you can stretch to 555PS  I'd suggest you go for this one.

Appart from immediate improvements it will also be future-proof if you ever decide to upgrade your source or your streaming pre-amp.

Hungryhalibut posted:

Hasn't Serge also already got a Cambridge 851N, which has a digital output?

It's a bit moot, given the geography and lack of auditioning possibilities. But in an ideal world the comparison I'd want to make would be between a 272 and the 851 into a Hugo TT. Roughly the same outlay. Not sure what the CA interface is like, though, and a 272 would look much more elegant.

Huge posted:
Tesilk posted:

BTW what is the difference between XPS 2 and XPS DR?

It's a technical difference in the voltage regulator circuitry.  As HH says, from a sound perspective the DR is just better.

For a technical description there's an article available from Naim:
A technical white paper on the Naim Audio Discrete Regulator technology is available here.

Need a login/password apparently

If i had active speakers i would be tempted by Dave! Same price as 272/xpsdr!

So have a home demo and trust your ears Serge or read some more! 

i just invested in 272/555PS/300DR/Sopra 2 and still wondering how a Dave would be with a nice set of active speakers like yours. Just add a computer or basic streamer microrendu and use it with roon! 

I had a home trial of both Hugo TT and Dave (simultaneously), provided by post because I don't live in mainland UK. I had to pay the full amount of both upfront, to be refunded in full upon return (exceot tgat only happened with TT, as I bought Dave, and retained the demo one until the new replacement was ready to swap out. I had to pay the return postage for them.

I have no idea if the same or another supplier would supply to Russia in the same way, thougb if paying upfront I don't see why not, except that postage (including insurance) would undoubtedly be greater and presumably chargeable to you. You have nothing to lose trying, so it is worth asking! I have no idea if any Naim suppliers would do likewise, but again under the same terms they might consider it.

So guys, finally today the 272 has arrived to my room...

I made all the connections, and it is playing now some Naim Sampler I had on my server...

Woooooooooooooooow!!!!!!!

It has nothing to do with any Cambridge staff I owned before, and I can't imagine what it will be like in one week time...and when I connect later an XPS....

ATCs shine as never before....

Thank you again for your help!

Good to hear you are enjoying the 272 into the active ATC's,for a while I ran my 272 into my active Dynaudio xd 600's,which also sounded superb.Can anyone tell me if adding an xpsdr or 555dr would improve the digital output of the 272(which I use with Xd 600's) at the same level that it improves the analog output that TESILK uses with the ATC's?I am just not sure if adding a power supply benefits both outputs equally or not?

Tesilk posted:

Will it be possible to add the DR option to XPS later if it is simple XPS? 

Only if it's an XPS2.  The original XPS cannot be DR upgraded as it's completely different inside to the later XPS2.  As HH says above, the DR upgrade is undertaken by the factory and by some distributors.  If you rare outside the UK then check with your distributor for details.

Yes I am in Moscow.

Well, today was the day - Leonard Cohen "Old Ideas" 16/44.1 for example tonight.

Incredible sound, details all over the room, every single note is separated, every single instrument also. The voice is behind and in front...

I have an impression, that I was using only 40% of my speakers before...

Fantastic. I don't understand how they do it. 

JE M'INCLINE...

So guys, I was this week in Paris and Munchen, had a opportunity to get a used but just like new XPS2 from Munchen, serial 328..., and now it is connected to 272 and ATCs. (Didn't have time to visit other stores and to have an audition though, so one more blind step)

it is another level. More space, more layers all over, more bass, it is well defined and controlled, you feel the instruments in the room and the singer in front...Very impressive!

All is new, so after 2 week of running in it will be clear I think.

Really nice addition to the system as was mentioned by everyone here.

And as  I understand, with XPS2 I have the option to upgrade to DR later.

Serge 

One more question.

I bought Din 4 connectors, in order to prepare the XLR-DIN wire from 272 to ATC 50s. 

But my friend who was going to do it, told me that the correct connection is from 2 XLR (left and right speaker) to ONE DIN on 272.

I was going to use a Wireworld Eclipse (2x3m) that I already have, it is thick more than 8mm.

Is it correct? Not two DINs? If so, then how I can fit large speaker cables from 2 xlr to one relatively small DIN connector? 

Seems difficult.

So please can you tell me what is the right way and if DIN is really better than RCA (now it is connected with Mogami 2354 2XLR to 2RCA).

Thanks

If you read the N272 manual you will realise that both DIN outputs carry both channels:

If connected to NAP 250 - use only one 4-DIN to XLR

If connected to NAP 300 - use two 4-DIN to XLR cables.

In your case I'd use two DIN outputs - make sure you capture the CH1 and CH2 correctly.

Adam Zielinski posted:

If you read the N272 manual you will realise that both DIN outputs carry both channels:

In your case I'd use two DIN outputs - make sure you capture the CH1 and CH2 correctly.

......which is why I use 272 biamped with 2 x Nap250dr, an effective and handy possibility....

Adam Zielinski posted:

Thanks Adam, I wanted to be sure as opinions were 50/50 here.

I have 2 mogami cable sets for this purpose - 3 m and 7,5 m.  Which length will be the best for DIN-XLR connection quality wise in my case?

Tesilk posted:
Adam Zielinski posted:

Thanks Adam, I wanted to be sure as opinions were 50/50 here.

I have 2 mogami cable sets for this purpose - 3 m and 7,5 m.  Which length will be the best for DIN-XLR connection quality wise in my case?

Both will be fine ...

Likes (1)
a.diabelli