Nait 3 and loving it!

I have a Thorens TD150 mk2 AT95E with Nait 3 driving Quad ESL57 (one thing audio rebuilt) Rel T1 sub all sat on a wicker basket (serious)

the sound is amazing and I have absolutely no regrets and don't miss selling my expensive system

Roksan TMS2 82/Hicap/135s on six tier Mana rack DBLS on stage 2 Mana stands

It is it just works so well together...I wish I had discovered this system 30 years ago before getting on the Linn/Naim upgrade merry go round...the nait 3 will give you 90% of the bigger amps at a bargain price... You have a great amp and don't be tempted to jump on the upgrade path just buy more vinyl or cds and sit back and enjoy ��

I have the impression that the Nait 3 is the least revered integrated that Naim have made. I never had one, but I did have a 92/90 for some time, which is basically a Nait 3 split into two separate boxes. With an LP12/Ittok front end and a pair of Royds, this system was very enjoyable, despite being built around Naim's least revered pre/power amp!

ChrisSU posted:

I have the impression that the Nait 3 is the least revered integrated that Naim have made. I never had one, but I did have a 92/90 for some time, which is basically a Nait 3 split into two separate boxes. With an LP12/Ittok front end and a pair of Royds, this system was very enjoyable, despite being built around Naim's least revered pre/power amp!

No that's the Nait 5.

I really like the Nait 3 - I wish I could find a used 3R for my bedroom system - I always thought it was a really musical amp, and even kind of sexy looking too with the slim-line, rounded corner olive case look.

Package it with an olive FC and a CD3 with some nice small speakers and you have a slammin' little system that does punch well above its weight.

yeti42 posted:
ChrisSU posted:

No that's the Nait 5.

True.  And far from fair, as the NAIT 5 has its own unique charms among the NAIT lineup...

David Price wrote quite an interesting and nicely balanced opinion piece looking back on the NAIT 5 on his zStereo site.   

Sound-wise, while it's excellent in isolation, I agree it can be a little underwhelming compared to the other NAITs but it can also be rather more forgiving too.  However, adding a Flatcap2 to it really brought the NAIT5 alive and most of the criticisms you could level at it were reduced by a significant degree.

Richard Dane posted:
yeti42 posted:
ChrisSU posted:

No that's the Nait 5.

True.  And far from fair, as the NAIT 5 has its own unique charms among the NAIT lineup...

I stand corrected! Strange that the 3 was from the same generation as the 92/90, as well as having the same olive case, whereas the 5 was a later tryptich amp from around 2000 I think.

My first foray into Naim was with an Arcam Alpha 5 CD player/Rega RP3 into a Nait 3 with Rega Ela2 speakers with NacA5. Loved that system for years. Got the itch and changed to a UQ2 into the Ela's...then onto my current system. Must say the Nait3 had bags of musicality

Nait 5: very versatile and humble amp. I use one with an AV2. Watching mostly the Berliner Philharmoniker on the tv, and audio supplied by the AV2 and Nait 5. Very good. Capable enough to fill my 8 sqm TV room.

Sonic signature very much like my Supernait 1, but it misses the beef / guts / dynamics. Is someone able to confirm this observation?

Still dreaming to pair it with a Stageline (can be powered directly by the Nait 5) / TT. Given the relatively bad mains power in my house, I expect to get rid of all kind of noise compared to my Project phonostage with crappy powersupply.

I did pair the Nait 5 with my Hicap DR for testing some months ago. By doing so, the DR virtues get introduced like lower noise floor, and more tranparency. I concluded after some weeks that after intensive listening there was something sharp / edgy in the treble. Possibly the weakness of the pre amp stage of the Nait 5 got visible by the introduction of the Hicap DR. Nothing serious though, maybe this problem would have been solved by a better source. It was a nice experiment.

Richard Dane posted:

David Price wrote quite an interesting and nicely balanced opinion piece looking back on the NAIT 5 on his zStereo site.   

Sound-wise, while it's excellent in isolation, I agree it can be a little underwhelming compared to the other NAITs but it can also be rather more forgiving too.  However, adding a Flatcap2 to it really brought the NAIT5 alive and most of the criticisms you could level at it were reduced by a significant degree.

Well, Naim *corrected* Nait 's shortcoming by coming up with Nait 5i which is far livelier than a 5 without giving up anything. That amp did not need an external PSU to bringing from the dead. 

I had an inkling that Naim was trying to gain new customers by make it a bit smoother than the 3s. I actually recommended it to one of my round earth friends and he loved it saying much livelier than the amp he was using. ( everything is relative I suppose )

james n posted:
Haim Ronen posted:

Since 1999. Never had the urge to change anything.

I do like your system Haim. 

Thanks, James. I just arranged today with our local Naim dealer to re-cap the two Flatcaps which had been working for 17 years without a glitch. The Nait had been serviced in  2009.

Add Reply