JoinSign In
Forums
Search

NAP 150X

September 9, 2007 3:15 PM

Hi guys. Will a NAC 122X Nap150X outperform an NAD t753 AV receiver (90 watts RMS into 8Ohms stereo per channel). The 150 X is just 50 watts per channel and I'm worried that it wil sound very weak and thin driving my 200 watt 4 Ohm Jamo D590 speakers. Any thoughts on NAIM watts vs. non Naim watts would be welcome Smile ThanX

September 9, 2007 8:30 PM

Well lots of things to consider none the least of which how sensitive the speakers are.

FWIW my first ever naim amp was a nait one (15 watts I think), it comfortably saw off a large kenwood amp with 200 watts under the bonnet.

Like (0 likes)

September 9, 2007 8:36 PM

I still remember the look of my friends face when we compared my 30W Nait 3 to his 200W Rotel amp.
Not only did my Nait play louder it certainly did sound much much better
day and night

Like (0 likes)

September 9, 2007 8:38 PM

Most hi-powered amps are lazy.

Like (0 likes)

September 9, 2007 8:42 PM

It's not so much the number of watts, it's how they use them. Many amps claim to be powerful but can they actually produce that power into real speakers (rather than a resistor) through a length of speaker cable and with difficult music. Naim amps can and will do it every time whereas your (on paper) high powered amp might struggle and the result be disappointing.

You need to prove this for yourself with a comparative demo if at all possible. If you can't arrange this, I would suggest you can't go wrong with the Naim IMO.
quote:
Originally posted by Flame:
Hi guys. Will a NAC 122X Nap150X outperform an NAD t753 AV receiver (90 watts RMS into 8Ohms stereo per channel). The 150 X is just 50 watts per channel and I'm worried that it wil sound very weak and thin driving my 200 watt 4 Ohm Jamo D590 speakers. Any thoughts on NAIM watts vs. non Naim watts would be welcome Smile ThanX

Like (0 likes)

September 9, 2007 10:14 PM

I would consider that any Naim pre/power is going to cream almost any AV receiver, although there are some good ones about at a price.

But a lot depends on what you consider to be "out performing" - are you looking for something that plays musically well & can still go loud...or something that shakes your kidneys loose but sounds dire ?

And remember that what goes into your amp cannot be transformed into something it was not originally - source quality is VERY important.

Like (0 likes)

September 9, 2007 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Flame:

1 W (from a Naim amp) = 1 W = 1 J/s there is no magic about Naim watts.
The difference is Naim amps are of reasonably high quality and they sound great. Other cheaper AV amps are built sub-standard. A 50 watt amplifier driving a set of speakers that require 200 w into 4 ohm will sound "thin" at high volume. To have "full" = good soundstage you need an 200W amp into 4 ohm which is the NAP300. If you want decent sound and power get Bryston amps. The sound will not be as sweet as that of the Naim but you will have absolute control on your speakers. Also, 1 W (from a Bryston amp) = 1 W = 1 J/s.

Like (0 likes)

September 10, 2007 12:29 AM

Thank you all for your feedback... Current problem with the NAD is that it is sounding pretty thin lacking volume in the mids and showing poor control over the bass. The result is lack of involvement with rythmic music.

My NAIM dealer is gonna let me borrow a NAC122X with a NAP150X to try at home for a couple of days... Hope it will solve the problem. Will let you all know how it sounds Smile

Tuan=> NAP 300 is totally out of my budget Frown
Macker=> source is a CD5i

Like (0 likes)
munch (Guest)

September 10, 2007 11:20 AM

Dont foget to get a din to phono lead. So you can still use your AV amp for the rears centre and sub, and the Naim for the front speakers.
Munch.

Like (0 likes)

September 10, 2007 12:34 PM

Hmm, I'm really interested to know your impressions about the CD5i with the 122x/150x combo, I've just changed my listening room, there's lots of improvements (I.E. all roughness is gone) but I feel it's now time for a bigger sound for my bigger listening room.

Bye.

Like (0 likes)
munch (Guest)

September 10, 2007 12:58 PM

If i was you i would try a home dem.
First a cd5x with your nait and see what you think.
Then do the same 122x 150x at home with your cd5
I use the 5x with the 122x 150x FC 2X AND SBLs and they sound great.
Regards Munch

Like (0 likes)

September 10, 2007 7:38 PM

I have a 122x / 150 combo driving a pair of MS P6's. I read a review suggesting min 150w to drive them, the Niam does it with ease. Sure if you want to blow out windows, you need more clout, but in the real world, 50w does the busines IMHO

Like (0 likes)

September 10, 2007 8:58 PM

well i have the 202/150 and it kicks thw arse out of my linn 5140's which are big power hungry speakers. i dont even go past quarter on the dial

Like (0 likes)

September 11, 2007 12:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by munch:
If i was you i would try a home dem.
First a cd5x with your nait and see what you think.
Then do the same 122x 150x at home with your cd5
I use the 5x with the 122x 150x FC 2X AND SBLs and they sound great.
Regards Munch

I had the chance to listen to a full X series kit, it's truly wonderful at what it does, and I'm happy to ear from you that it sound great fronted by a pair of SBLs, which I own too. Cool

My plan is probably to end up with a CDX2, 122x, 150x, Flatcap2 (for both the 122x and Headline) and... keeping the Nait 2 as a "Stageline" and "emergency" amplifier.

I'm very curious about what a CD5i could do with a 122x and 150x. The CD5i is simply doing it for me for almost 2 years now, and keeping me confortably waiting for better when the savings will allow it.

I know, I know, there's many things to try out and do. But now I'm looking for your impressions with a CD5i with a better Naim amplification than a Nait (and don't say Supernait! Big Grin ). The CD5i is really something to hear with my Headline and Grado RS-1, if I could come closer to that kind of experience more with my speakers listening, I would be more than the happy man that I'm actually.

Many thanks for your inputs, Munch, Berlinants and Longmanjon, really appreciated.

Bye.

Like (0 likes)

Additional replies and votes are not permitted on this topic.