NAP 250DR - Again

In the end 'better' is subjective.. If you don't need the power of a bigger amplifier I can see better being used interchangeably across amps in different environments... As this forum tends to suggest and certainly with my experience and even with private emails of diasspointed members on this forum who have contacted me where they have bought a higher 'spec' Naim component blind .. Higher spec absolutely doesn't mean better for a given circumstance ... Audition, audition and if in doubt audition. Just about everyone's listening environment will be different..

despite what some will have you believe on this forum there are NO absolutes or definites whether it be a 552 or a Nait 5i or what ever..

Originally Posted by analogmusic:

that is interesting, in what way was the 300 DR better?

It doesn't surprise me though, as the DR amps to me, are a different league (after hearing 250DR, and heard the previous generation amps), and I consider them as "sons of statement", with their new 009 transistors and improved DR regulation, which has a noise floor 30 times lower than the previous generation.

Anyone who hears a DR amp will not want to delay getting one subject to funds

The previous 250.2 never really impressed me enough to consider moving away from NAP 200 (which I still love dearly), but the 250DR, that is something else altogether.

It was only a very brief conversation but the gist of it was that the customer, who presumably was familiar with the sound of his fully warmed up 500 in his own room, felt that  the 300DR had made an improvement. We didn't have time to explore what aspects of the sound constituted the "improvement". Of course it's all subjective but it's good to hear that the general impression is that the changes being made to the existing line up are a step forward. How often do next generation offerings of any item actually fail to significantly improve upon the previous generation, sometimes even taking a step backwards due to cost savings and profit margin optimisation. Audio equipment especially seems prone to this.

Got mine few days ago, i cannot say anything else than yes, it is worth it  and definitely a step forward. Classics amps stays great pieces of kit, useless to say but the "DR" effect is really nice.

On my side, i started to be a bit confused with the last updates of the streamer's firmware, finding the sound quiet "unbalanced" or at least quiet different from before. Now, i understand, it is made to work together and the sweet Naim's balanced sound is reached again with an obvious improvement.
Congratulations!

Originally Posted by Ikoun:

Got mine few days ago, i cannot say anything else than yes, it is worth it  and definitely a step forward. Classics amps stays great pieces of kit, useless to say but the "DR" effect is really nice.

Hi ikoun

Nice one  We've been using the NAP 250DR with NAC-N 272/555PS DR recently. Using the track Straightjacket (DJ Hidden - The Later After) easily shows NAP 205DR's speed, grip, punch and power are a clear step up from the already impressive NAP 250.2  NAP 300DR is next

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

reading some of the last posts on this topic, i think some of you really exagerrate the changes in new DR amp lineup. yes they are better in the fact they are more close to the neutral side of the sound, as they should have always been, but ... still, some exaggerations will not make this forum nor it's users benefit from anything... just my 2 cents!

on the other hand, i could tell you about a friend of mine, also an audio lover, which actually has invested way-way more money than me in it's system and previous "incarnations" of it, and which used to rather dislike or at least disregard Naim products... recently, after hearing the new 172 and 272 streamers, and 200 and 250 newer DR versions, he is inclined (sometimes) to swap his rig for a Naim one, or at least his Mark Levinson amp for a 300DR...

so, the tendency in Naim's new sound is rather easy to spot, in reaction to persons which were not that crazy after Naim before those last new products.

Your posting was timed well as I was just about to put pen to paper (in a keyboard sort of way).

I too had a visitation from a friend of mine, who has also invested "big bucks" on his Hi-Fi system and had always dismissed my old MF kit (as i did). However, he was really surprised at how good my new set up sounded (272 & 250DR) and he is having a serious rethink! 

Don't think I'm exaggerating, simply reporting that I like it and so do others.

catalinmetal posted:

reading some of the last posts on this topic, i think some of you really exagerrate the changes in new DR amp lineup. yes they are better in the fact they are more close to the neutral side of the sound, as they should have always been, but ... still, some exaggerations will not make this forum nor it's users benefit from anything... just my 2 cents!

on the other hand, i could tell you about a friend of mine, also an audio lover, which actually has invested way-way more money than me in it's system and previous "incarnations" of it, and which used to rather dislike or at least disregard Naim products... recently, after hearing the new 172 and 272 streamers, and 200 and 250 newer DR versions, he is inclined (sometimes) to swap his rig for a Naim one, or at least his Mark Levinson amp for a 300DR...

so, the tendency in Naim's new sound is rather easy to spot, in reaction to persons which were not that crazy after Naim before those last new products.

Well I can only report as these ears find and yes we can exaggerate but as someone who went from 200 to old 250 and then to 250 DR the latter is just a paradigm shift - only way to describe!!

ok, i understand your experiences and passion...

the problem is, now that i have found a really very good power cable for my 200DR, i would like to have it compared - again - with the 250DR with the stock cable... something makes me think it will be a match rather interesting to follow, with hard to choose (on ovators S400) winner!

catalinmetal posted:

ok, i understand your experiences and passion...

the problem is, now that i have found a really very good power cable for my 200DR, i would like to have it compared - again - with the 250DR with the stock cable... something makes me think it will be a match rather interesting to follow, with hard to choose (on ovators S400) winner!

Ohh no, not the dreaded blind test, my brain isn't allowed to cheat��

Likes (0)