nap 300 dr

Hi everyone just to let you know I've brought the nap 300 dr getting it on Saturday my dealer is coming to set it up for me thanks to everyone who gave me advice will let you know how it sounds can't wait 

Original Post

Congratulations on your purchase....  I have just taken delivery of the Nap300dr  myself,  my dealer has let me have a new one to trial for the next few weeks and if I like it .....their will be another large hole in my bank balance. 

It was all set up in the early hours of the morning,  I wasnt able to sleep so I thought  let's install it now.

My expectations were quite low...thinking burn in process will be a long drawn out affair, but NO...its sounding rather good from the off....i will know doubt experience a few 'off' days but so far 'Wow ' very very good...

I'm hoping and expecting to be blown away , I somehow think I won't be disappointed.... 

Heard Wengers 300dr this afternoon and was really impressed by the power and control it has over the Sopras. Sounds more 3 dimensional with more detail too. Like Wenger I wasn't expecting too much as it's only a few hours old but it did bring a smile to my smile. Stunning amp! 

wenger2015 posted:

I have just taken delivery of the Nap300dr  myself,  my dealer has let me have a new one to trial for the next few weeks and if I like it .....their will be another large hole in my bank balance. 

Whatever you do, just make sure you've got enough left to tie down Özil and Sanchez!!! 

It's a completely different presentation. More musical, less HiFi-like IMO. Some people don't like the 300 or feel it doesn't sound bigger and better enough compared to a 250. The 300 doesn't do bigger and better. It does clarity, subtlety, timbre,  unstressed extension. Having revisited the 250 for a few weeks this year I would liken its presentation to a photograph of someone with the head and feet cropped a bit too tightly and whilst being obviously a recognizable subject, is just a little bit out of focus when you look closely. And the colours are oversaturated.

Your findings may be different. You'll know soon enough. 

I'm totally in agreement with all points made above. I went from a 300 to a 300DR and the improvements are certainly not subtle. Warm up is also considerably shorter and the fabled switch off thump is much reduced...for those times I do power down everything including me .... such as holidays. I won't to into inky blacks, foot tapping or timing but I know what I like and this has to be the best power amp I've owned over the years

just waiting to try them with some SL speaker cable as soon as the little hiccup with the plugs is sorted by HQ.

Sit back and enjoy.

Aceone posted:

Which preamp are you using with your nap 300dr 

If your question is directed to me, Acetone, the answer is a 552DR. However I bought the 300DR before the 552DR and used it very successfully with a 282/SCDR. The 300DR replaced a 250.2.

Mike 

Aceone posted:

Iam hoping to upgrade my 202 next year to a 252 that should be a good jump 

That is an excellent idea, and if I had my time again I would also have leap-frogged the 282 and would have gone from 202 to 252. BUT, and there is a but, some on here prefer the exuberance of the 282 over the silky and revealing 252, including Mike (MDS) if I am not mistaken who auditioned the 252 twice and decided to stick with his 282 (and eventually went straight to a 552).

So you might want to take the time to listen to both the 252 AND 282. If you, like some others on here, prefer the 282, you could save yourself a few bob. The 252 also requires a Supercap whereas the 282 is quite happy with a Hicap (preferably DR).

Just saying.

As for me, I am quite happy with 252/250DR but if I were to upgrade, next step would be 300DR. But I wonder if a 552 would work with my 250DR. Now there's a thought!

The 252 is a superb match with the 300. They go very well together. We ran them very happily and it was only later that an opportunity to get a 552 came up. 552/300 is insanely good, but as Mike says above, for an insane cost. Not that you can't justify it but it's still more than many people would spend on a car.

Aceone posted:

I would rather have a nice hifi than a car I get more enjoyment out of a hifi 

Absolutely, not having a super bike has been my justification for spending on hifi for years.  Although I'm expecting to pull the trigger on a Harley Sports in the new year

Well I'm experiencing just the opposite. I've done the Dr upgrade on my 300 and I'm very disappointed by it. It sounds shut in and with lots of siblence. The 300 sounds much better before the upgrade. The 552dr helped but it still sounds wrong especially after warming up. I've brought up my concerns to my dealer and he reckons it's part of the running in process. 

Laxton Yeo posted:

Well I'm experiencing just the opposite. I've done the Dr upgrade on my 300 and I'm very disappointed by it. It sounds shut in and with lots of siblence. The 300 sounds much better before the upgrade. The 552dr helped but it still sounds wrong especially after warming up. I've brought up my concerns to my dealer and he reckons it's part of the running in process. 

LY..How long has the 300dr been running in?

Whilst my 300 was away to be DR'd I borrowed a well run-in one from my dealer. I was surprised that my upgraded 300 did not sound fantastically different from the 300 that I had borrowed.

Neither the dealer-loaned 300 DR nor my freshly DR'd one could be described as sounding shut-in nor sibilant. Both opened up the music and supplied a degree of control that I had not been aware was lacking in the system.

wenger2015 posted:
Laxton Yeo posted:

LY..How long has the 300dr been running in?

The 300dr is running about 2 months now and the 552dr one month.

Nick from Suffolk posted:

Whilst my 300 was away to be DR'd I borrowed a well run-in one from my dealer. I was surprised that my upgraded 300 did not sound fantastically different from the 300 that I had borrowed.

Neither the dealer-loaned 300 DR nor my freshly DR'd one could be described as sounding shut-in nor sibilant. Both opened up the music and supplied a degree of control that I had not been aware was lacking in the system.

Nick, do you mean the freshly upgraded 300dr was the same as the well run in 300? Did the 300dr improve with time?

Likes (0)