NAP200 Service - worth it?

Hi, my Black series NAP 200 is coming up to 15 years old. I bought it second hand and expect that it is 'original'. It sounds really good, a little low level hiss when powered up and no input, but I think that is normal. Otherwise, I love it. When I bought it, the dealer said that newer NAPs had less ageing issues and a service was not essential.  I do wonder though.....

I live in Switzerland and so shipping to many of the usual suspects for service in the UK becomes expensive (customs for a start). The Swiss dealer is called Chektone, they are Naim authorised etc and so are probably OK. It is probably too much to expect anyone here to have direct experience. 

My real question is 'should I spend my money here?'  What improvements can I expect, given that there are no apparent problems? Or is this just something that you do not notice until it gets serviced?  What is 15 years on a NAP 200 in terms of SQ degradation?

Original Post

"Should I spend my money here?"  Yes

"What improvements can I expect, given that there are no apparent problems? You will be surprised. More of everything. Musicality returns. It will actually take some getting used to as, yes,  "this just something that you do not notice until it gets serviced"  

What is 15 years on a NAP 200 in terms of SQ degradation? Percentages are not as much fun as having the fun returned in spades. It will also prevent future possible leakage issues while bringing it up to current spec.

You should definitely get yourself the service - as you 200 has been so long without a service it will definitely benefit considerably of the service. The other option is of course to exchange with a newer Dr one or make a next step 250, but I guess that you will have to invest more than with a service. And I can't remember if you can DR your old 200, but if you can I would highly recommend you combine it with doing the service.

As it's an official Naim address you are working with - it should provide you with a good and reliable experience.

After you have done it you will be unhappy with yourself that you didn't do this earlier, I am sure.

I would speak with independant dealers who service Naim kit regulary & get their opinion, which may be biased towards yes but its worth a call or two. check out UPS for shipping as Ive used them a fair bit & very good.

Personally I would do it, I had my NAP 110 serviced a while back and it came back sounding great.

I wondered about a 250 but it seems a change in voicing as much as anything. My speakers are Dynaudio Focus 160s, nominally 4 ohm and the 250 might improve areas of grip on the bass, for example. However, the 200 seems to manage ok and opinion is split on which one is better.