Nap200DR with Uniti 2

I recently added a NAP 200 DR to my Uniti 2 and am disappointed by the results at the moment. Now I know I broke all the rules about auditioning but having read all the reviews and a price too good to refuse I snapped it up unseen and untested.The unit is ex demo but hardly used, if at all, so running in may be required. The sound with NAP200 is a bit fuller but the base is woolly and at times the vocals are distinctly fuzzy/ distorted. This isn't the tight control and heft I had been expecting. They are driving ATC SCM 11 via Naca5. 

Does anyone have any ideas, observations ( Apart from always audition at home) . I don't know what I was expecting but at the moment it seems a distinctly sideways step which is ridiculous. 

Tim 

Original Post

If you need to use words like woolly, fuzzy and distorted to describe the sound, something is wrong. You should go back to the dealer and ask them to help you get to the bottom of it.

Incidentally, unless the 200DR is powering an analogue Naim preamp, the DR bit is not being used, so you could have saved some cash by getting a non-DR version.

running in is required - it should be used for a month few hours a day.

I remember my 250DR took 3 months to sound like it had fully run in.

Patience is required with all new and serviced Naim kit, these capacitors need time (and usage) to stabilize.

other than that, maybe the SNAIC and/or power cable is damaged or loose

Did you switch off the internal amp of the uniti?

Adding a 200 DR should sound a lot better if only because the uniti gets to keep the power for the CD/DAC/Streamer and preamp and not share it with the power amp anymore. It is supposed to be a big improvement !

There is a possibility that the problem lies elsewhere, such as maybe a poorly soldered cable that was damaged when you reconnected everything.....but the sound you describe does not seem like a new unit that needs to burn in. When I put a new 200DR on my Superuniti, the sound immediately became cleaner, the exact opposite of what you have described. 

Agree with all the above - a 200 is kilometres better than a Uniti power amp.

I assume you're using a DIN/DIN Snaic connection? My advice would be to check EVERYTHING - every single wire, including speakers.

Then make sure the Uniti power amp section is turned off - it makes a difference. Then keep playing music for a few days and see if it improves. It takes longer than that to run in fully, but it should certainly sound 'good' in that time.

If it still sounds bad, call the dealer. Have them bring round a demo 200 and some wires to swap in/out.

Well, I tried the system for a while longer but to no avail. I have taken the amp back to the dealer and received a full refund. I don't know what was wrong but to be honest the Uniti 2 sounds pretty amazing to me as it is so I don't know what I was looking for. 

It's a shame that your dealer was, by the sound of it, either unwilling or unable to get to the bottom of this. You've missed an opportunity to upgrade your system, and he's lost a sale. Still, if you're happy with what you've got, that's what really matters. 

Hi TIMPD,

I think maybe you were looking for a few more watts into the Uniti2? I also have the Uniti2 with SCM11s/NACA5 and sometimes when I crank it up, while it's loud enough, I lose resolution. Seems to me that the Uniti2 isn't that detailed at lower volumes, and it loses detail at higher volumes also, so there appears to be a sweet spot in the middle, or at least that has been my experience. I'm presuming that adding a power amp would expand the sweet spot range to allow for greater volume with less loss of resolution.

Sorry that the 200 didn't work out for you. Been reading the replies as I've been thinking about adding a 200 or 250 myself, although I must confess I've never heard of 'turning the Uniti2 amp off'. This would mean that the amplification would remain at 70W/channel, and if this is true, adding a 200 to a Uniti2 seems pointless, or does it?

Neil

Hi Neil, I agree there is a lack of resolution at low volumes but I think that is true of many systems . I don't  lose much at higher volumes though how high is high? I think I was looking for a more expansive soundstage and body at low to moderate levels. Probably barking up the wrong tree. 

As far as turning off the uniti amp, as I understand it, you turn off the speakers and just use the NAP 200 or whatever to drive them. Although rated similarly the NAP 200 watts are a better class of watt than the uniti ones so produce the improved sound, in theory. I could have had a poor connection ,wrong connection ! or  needed more running in, perhaps a duff amp but there was no magic. 

If I do look at upgrading again I will take more care to audition first. Hope it helps

Tim 

Tim,

I have the Naim app limited to 60 (out of 100), so I'm really not blasting it that loud. The room is a work in progress basement project with a concrete floor and sound absorption panels on most walls, so the space itself may be a contributing factor. 

I get what you're saying about the speakers: unplug the NACA5 fron the Uniti, and then plug them in the 200.

So, will you upgrade to a dedicated streamer such as the 172/272 with a 200 or 250, or are you pretty much content with the sound now?

Neil

I went from Uniti to Superuniti and am very happy - it was a major upgrade in all respects. In your position I would try an SU - if you like it you still have only one box and can probably trade in your U2 to get it for not too much money.

true to what some said, the dealer too lazy to make this right.

200DR is an instant upgrade for all the Naim integrateds and all-in-ones, no question about it. the fact that he was too lazy to bother set this properly up, then i guess he is not worth the pain of buying fron him again, but the 200DR would certainly make a consistent positive impact over a standalone Uniti.

timpd posted:

I recently added a NAP 200 DR to my Uniti 2 and am disappointed by the results at the moment. Now I know I broke all the rules about auditioning but having read all the reviews and a price too good to refuse I snapped it up unseen and untested.The unit is ex demo but hardly used, if at all, so running in may be required. The sound with NAP200 is a bit fuller but the base is woolly and at times the vocals are distinctly fuzzy/ distorted. This isn't the tight control and heft I had been expecting. They are driving ATC SCM 11 via Naca5. 

Does anyone have any ideas, observations ( Apart from always audition at home) . I don't know what I was expecting but at the moment it seems a distinctly sideways step which is ridiculous. 

Tim 

Given that the 200DR is a Naim recommended upgrade path for the Uniti 2, I'd be minded to agree with the various comments of 'something not quite right here' - I added a 200DR to my SU, and then bi-amped, heaven forfend, and it's a stunning combination.

If the Uniti 2 was OK before, I'd get the 200DR checked out, but best, and most informative, get both checked out at a Naim dealer of repute. A bit of cable-swapping at home might be a good, and more convenient, place to start.

Good Luck,

KR, J