nd555 announcement : music matters show/ 8 march

French Rooster posted:

the Music Matters show , at Seattle, announced on the site:  new products : Naim statement / nd555 streamer, linn urika 2....   I don’t think it is a fake

I'm sure it isn't. I'm also confident that the way it's worded does not preface the introduction of a Statement level streamer. I think the new ND555 (much rumoured and anticipated) will debut fronting a Statement amped system.

We'll all know soon enough.

French Rooster posted:

yes, the nd555 disappeared from the eventbrite site. Sad news....  Naim is not ready perhaps or it was an initial error?

No it's just that the US company broke the news embargo. They are embarassed right now. Naim is a little bit cross because they planned a surprise. To most people it will be a surprise still because the Naim forum is a microcosm, not relevant or even known, to most customers. The launch will still happen as the posting said.

best

David

djh1697 posted:

Nice rumours to start and read, how about some real links, to real websites and not #fakenews ?

it was on the eventbrite website a few hours ago, and very probably it was not a fake, just the site had not the right to post it, as David Hendon said.   My dealer said also to me that a new nds streamer is on the way....but logically it will be on the statement level and normally the name will be nd555 .  Some mystery will remain until the end.

I really hope it is on the new architecture. If it is simply evolution of the NDS or classic it will be obsolete out of the door. I am hoping for something great.. Also hoping for updated classic streamers on the new platform. Would really be interested in a upgrade from the 272, which I think was their best streamer effort to date  - with the new tech...

DUPREE posted:

Looks like updated architecture/Uniti based and in a very attractive and complementary classic case. I wonder what the price point is? is it a direct replacement for the NDS?

Surely as it's pitched as 500 series, it will be much higher than NDS? I suspect twice the price of NDS or higher.

best

David

Terry Smith posted:

and $20,000 + apparently for US customers 

That makes me pretty skeptical. I wonder what perceived value they can add to a digital streamer to make it worth 2x a NDS; I would hope that is with power supply as if not it is going to be even a multiple of the Klimax DSM. Guess we will know soon enough.

Hungryhalibut posted:
DUPREE posted:

Looks like updated architecture/Uniti based and in a very attractive and complementary classic case. I wonder what the price point is? is it a direct replacement for the NDS?

£13,000. 

This is exactly what I have heard.

My dealer tells me there will be trickle down from the ND555; it seems inevitable.  The question is how long.  (I can see a somewhat diabolical Naim releasing only the ND555 for a looong period of time to try to maximize sales of the flagship before releasing less expensive alternatives...)

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Who said anything about an NDX replacement....... I very much doubt there will be one unless key parts became obsolete ... what would be the point..

Chromecast, Airplay, Roon, Tidal sounding as good as UPnP and without dropouts, and reliable WiFi performance, I would imagine. 

ChrisSU posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Who said anything about an NDX replacement....... I very much doubt there will be one unless key parts became obsolete ... what would be the point..

Chromecast, Airplay, Roon, Tidal sounding as good as UPnP and without dropouts, and reliable WiFi performance, I would imagine. 

And using modern components that aren't going to go end of life nearly as quickly...

And sounding the best it possibly can for its price point. I suspect that will come before anything else.

My understanding is that the ND555 will be the culmination of the tuning and development of the DAC in the NDS (and DAC), including mechanical optimisation. I stand to be corrected, but that is my understanding.

For me this is good news. If the NDS hardware can be made to sound significantly better I'm in the queue and shoving.  Nothing else would be of interest to me.

Aren't rumours wonderful?!

Harry posted:

And sounding the best it possibly can for its price point. I suspect that will come before anything else.

My understanding is that the ND555 will be the culmination of the tuning and development of the DAC in the NDS (and DAC), including mechanical optimisation. I stand to be corrected, but that is my understanding.

For me this is good news. If the NDS hardware can be made to sound significantly better I'm in the queue and shoving.  Nothing else would be of interest to me.

I doubt this is the case. I would imagine it is a much improved DAC with improved capabilities as the NDS DAC is obsolete in a technical sense. They can't just tune up the NDS and add more mechanical isolation and call it a day. I would imagine and hope the ND555 is more of a technological tour-de force with better hardware and the new NAIM platform derived from the Uniti tweeked out until hopefully it provides sonic uphoria. Despite the struggles and false starts I really do think their platform is heading in the right direction and hope for great things in the pipeline.

DUPREE posted:
Harry posted:

I doubt this is the case. I would imagine it is a much improved DAC with improved capabilities as the NDS DAC is obsolete in a technical sense. They can't just tune up the NDS and add more mechanical isolation and call it a day. I would imagine and hope the ND555 is more of a technological tour-de force with better hardware and the new NAIM platform derived from the Uniti tweeked out until hopefully it provides sonic uphoria. Despite the struggles and false starts I really do think their platform is heading in the right direction and hope for great things in the pipeline.

nds dac is obsolete ?   the most recent dac is not always better. The dac inside the nds is late 90’s dac, i don’t remember the name, in a 2012 product.  The streaming platform software is perhaps obsolete, but it works wonderfully.  The nd555 will bring of course an improvement, but for 25 k with ps price.   I am quite sure there will be some who will prefer the nds over the nd555, as cds3 over cd555.     But i am not saying i would not buy the nd555....if i had the funds.  I am also happy that naim try to push the boundaries.

Taking the CD555 as an example. It was massively over engineered, with minutely critical attention to every possible detail, to get the best musical performance out of the CDS3, with which it shared its DAC and digital filter. The results were stunning and demonstrated conclusively that the CD had hitherto not been able to give of its all, at any price level. Or so I read over and over again in all the reviews.

This is what Naim do so well. I believe they will do it again with the ND555. They don't tend to throw a good thing away because it is not a new thing. They will take its musical performance to levels which were not thought possible, or at least not possible to be heard by the human ear. Until it was.

And then again it might all be brand new. We will know soon enough. I don't care if it is all brand new as long as it plays music better than the NDS. And by a wide enough margin. It's a no lose situation for me. We love the NDS so much in this house that we won't be disappointed if our money stays in our bank and not the dealer's.  However, we think this is unlikely. But who knows? Yet.

I'm very optimistic.  I'm using a Uniti Atom for streaming duties right now while my dealer tries to flog my NDX (hence my apprehension about timing).  Frankly it sounds almost as good as the NDX, and the user interface and display is brilliant.  So I have no doubts the ND555 will be a stunner.  Just hope 95% of that ends up in the NDX replacement...

Add Reply

Likes (0)