ND555 - have pulled the trigger

I don't know if more of you have already done this. But I have gone against all common sense and have just pre-ordered the ND555 to replace my NDS. I hope and belief I will not regret it. From a sound quality perspective I put the trust in Naim to deliver significantly more than the NDS and from a problem perspective I hope a 500 level product will not have software issues as the other products have had.

So let's see now what happens. 

 

The logic for me was to be before the big wave which I will assume will emerge after the Munich Hifi show. With the principle of you only live once.

I would be interested to hear if others have taken the same decision. And I of course hope the delivery will follow pretty fast.....

Original Post

I will need to decide whether to trade in my NDS for an ND555 and keep my NAP500 non-DR or keep my NDS and have the DR mod done on my NAP500. That will be an interesting two-way demo! I just need to wait until my dealer can get hold of an ND555 - I don't think I'd be willing to make that sort of investment without a serious demo.

The Strat (Fender) posted:

My starting point for a situation like this Clive is that there no need to do anything

Indeed, I've been so happy since getting the Diapasons, I shelved my DR project until the CD555 cracked its disc carrier and a service became inevitable. Knowing that I'd be osing that for a few weeks, I finally bit the bullet on the rest....

Clive B posted:

I will need to decide whether to trade in my NDS for an ND555 and keep my NAP500 non-DR or keep my NDS and have the DR mod done on my NAP500. That will be an interesting two-way demo! I just need to wait until my dealer can get hold of an ND555 - I don't think I'd be willing to make that sort of investment without a serious demo.

The DR'ing of my NAP500 is also on the list of wishes. Potentially will also get it done this year or wait a a bit longer to early next year. Both should provide a considerable upgrade.

Michael_B. posted:
Alba1320 posted:

^ Michael_B, care to elaborate on '...CD555 cracked its disc carrier...'?

The disc is seated on a truncated cone made of plastic, which allows it to accomodate variations in the size of the hole. This cracked.

Thanks for the explanation.

How old is the player, if you don't mind me asking?

Alba1320 posted:
Michael_B. posted:
Alba1320 posted:

^ Michael_B, care to elaborate on '...CD555 cracked its disc carrier...'?

The disc is seated on a truncated cone made of plastic, which allows it to accomodate variations in the size of the hole. This cracked.

Thanks for the explanation.

How old is the player, if you don't mind me asking?

2006

Polarbear posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

 

I would be interested to hear if others have taken the same decision. And I of course hope the delivery will follow pretty fast.....

At least you will have something to look forward to at Christmas 

My new BMW X3 has to still arrive - expecting to get it delivered with a 7  + month waiting time, so I deserve an earlier delivery.....for the guys at Naim....., I am happy to do the heavy lifting of explaining to the forum that the NDS sounds now very broken after receiving the ND555 

Bert Schurink posted:
Clive B posted:

I will need to decide whether to trade in my NDS for an ND555 and keep my NAP500 non-DR or keep my NDS and have the DR mod done on my NAP500. That will be an interesting two-way demo! I just need to wait until my dealer can get hold of an ND555 - I don't think I'd be willing to make that sort of investment without a serious demo.

The DR'ing of my NAP500 is also on the list of wishes. Potentially will also get it done this year or wait a a bit longer to early next year. Both should provide a considerable upgrade.

Bert, you NEED the 500 DR. Trust me. New amp. 

Nick Lees posted:
Bert Schurink posted:
Clive B posted:

I will need to decide whether to trade in my NDS for an ND555 and keep my NAP500 non-DR or keep my NDS and have the DR mod done on my NAP500. That will be an interesting two-way demo! I just need to wait until my dealer can get hold of an ND555 - I don't think I'd be willing to make that sort of investment without a serious demo.

The DR'ing of my NAP500 is also on the list of wishes. Potentially will also get it done this year or wait a a bit longer to early next year. Both should provide a considerable upgrade.

Bert, you NEED the 500 DR. Trust me. New amp. 

I know I will get it done at some point. I think I also a NEED a statement, but I just miss some funds....

Whoa!

Things are certainly moving fast around these parts!

Hopefully the wait won't be too painful and all will drain away and turn euphonious once this beast is in your system

I shouldn't really post in here as it's way out of my depth but I can't contain myself in saying to a fellow forum member - get in there! 

I’’m not sure what ‘pre-order’ actually means, but based on -

1) I’m an early adopter in most technology.

2) The steaming tech in the NDS is getting rather old, even if I still think the analogue filter stage is where the magic lies.

3) I’ve not spent any money on HiFi for over 2 years.

I spoke to my dealer on the day they were announced and expressed a firm intent to buy if it exceeds NDS level performance.

Not sure if that counts as a ‘pre-order’ but given a relationship with my dealer over 10 years, I hope it’s pretty close.

Dave.

That's a brave move, Bert, ordering "unheard".  Certainly demonstrates your confidence in Naim.  Brand loyalty exemplified.

I suspect you won't be disappointed though and your posts on here when you get your ND555 will be hugely popular. 

As you say, you only live once. And throwing caution-to-wind can be invigorating!

Well done, I say. 

There is no NDS555 to purchase at the moment.

I'm not in the market for one, but if I were, I cannot put a deposit down for a product that is not available for purchase.

I would normally say congratulations, but again that would be for a product that is ready to ship or a product that has a confirmed shipping day in the future.

 

analogmusic posted:

There is no NDS555 to purchase at the moment.

I'm not in the market for one, but if I were, I cannot put a deposit down for a product that is not available for purchase.

I would normally say congratulations, but again that would be for a product that is ready to ship or a product that has a confirmed shipping day in the future.

 

People do it for high-end cars that are 'revealed' at shows before production, and millions seem to do it when a new iPhone is announced. What's wrong with doing it for high-end audio? 

analogmusic posted:

There is no NDS555 to purchase at the moment.

I'm not in the market for one, but if I were, I cannot put a deposit down for a product that is not available for purchase.

I would normally say congratulations, but again that would be for a product that is ready to ship or a product that has a confirmed shipping day in the future.

 

I am not putting a deposit in, just placed the pre-order. So as soon the dealer has it I will get it.

for all the others I will definitely publish a detailed report of my experiences...

Clive B posted:

I will need to decide whether to trade in my NDS for an ND555 and keep my NAP500 non-DR or keep my NDS and have the DR mod done on my NAP500. That will be an interesting two-way demo! I just need to wait until my dealer can get hold of an ND555 - I don't think I'd be willing to make that sort of investment without a serious demo.

Just as you're considering forgoing a NAP500 DR upgrade to help finance an ND555, I'm considering whether or not I want an ND555 more than I want to keep my recently aquired and even more recently serviced CD555, a 'life long' desired CD player.

Life can be difficult at times, can't it?    

(It's at times like this that I regret the lifestyle that led to the loss of my first wife... and half of my estate   )

 

 

Add Reply

Likes (3)
S3Eoinkjames n
×
×
×
×