NDS/555DR vs NDS/555DR+NDac - burn in time?

I never liked the 250.2, though I'd never describe it as crash, bang wallop. I always found it a bit heavy and dull, and remember getting a lot of flack for calling it a fat old bloater. The 250DR seems to me a much better amplifier altogether, reminding me of the 300, which is my favourite Naim amplifier, though I've not heard the DR version of it. 

Harry posted:

I think it tries too hard to sound clever and rather predictably, ends up sounding like it’s trying too hard. I haven’t changed my view after spending some time with the DR version. It may work a treat for you. I would not consider one without a long home audition. The over saturated and crash bang wallop presentation of the 250 is for me at odds with the grip, poise, subtlety and effortless delight of the NDS.  The latter is musical while the former tends to sounding mechanical.

Whilst of course the NDS even when pumped up with 2 PSUs is utterly soporific in comparison with the CDS3 and CD555.

Christopher_M posted:
Harry posted:

The over saturated and crash bang wallop presentation of the 250 is for me at odds with the grip, poise, subtlety and effortless delight of the NDS. 

Not great reading for those toiling in the lower reaches, for whom the NAC282/ HCDR/ and NAP250.2 (or DR) represents the zenith of their Naim amplifier ambitions!

C.

Naim are not the only brand on the planet. Some of us survived untraumatised with other brands (and in my case much cheaper equipment) on discovering the 250 was not the right way to go. Same for the 200/202 in my case. I got years of greater musical enjoyment than Naim offered at a quarter of the cost.

I think the 152 is an absolute belter. It shows up the 202 and 282 in the sound for outlay stakes.  I'd go from 152 to 252 and if I couldn't do it in one jump I'd look elsewhere in the interim. Other people's experiences will naturally differ. So what? Trust your ears, not mine.

MDS posted:
Harry posted:

The over saturated and crash bang wallop presentation of the 250 . 

Having had a 250.2 for a while, Harry, I enjoyed your description. While a little over-the-top I wouldn't say you were wrong.  For all that, the 250.2 is great fun though. Given the choice between accuracy which is boring against some coloration which is fun I know which I'd chose.     

I'm glad you got it.

Yes, somewhat emphasised for effect.

Like my impression of the 250

I enjoyed the NAP250.2.  While Harry's description is perhaps a bit OTT, I can perhaps understand a little for where the description is coming from.  There was a warmth to it that was perhaps not totally neutral and with that, a slight sense of fuzziness. I guess cramming so much into the one box of what in the NAP300 is spread across two boxes brought with it a penalty, however, It actually melded rather nicely with Naim's own speakers, although some others where the upper bass and lower mid have been already boosted to add warmth, I guess it could all just get a bit much. This warmth in the NAP250.2 I found was something that became worse with age - a service got things back to normal though.  I think this is why the NAP250.2 could come across as a bit slow for a Naim amp when insufficiently partnered; i.e. not enough source or pre-amp - the old mistake of partnering the NAP250.2 with a NAC202/Hicap, which was just a poor match.  Better by far, a NAC282 or above.

The Strat (Fender) posted:

Richard - as ever excellent insight.  Is the 250DR a generally less fussy beast while retaining the virtues of the previous amp. I say this in the knowledge of it being successfully matched with 272, 172, Superuniti and even DAC V1?

Regards,

Lindsay

Having had a demo of a 250DR in a system very similar to mine I'd say no, Lindsay.  The 250DR struck me as more refined, having a lower noise floor and tonally neutral. I didn't think it displayed the 250.2's characteristics at all.

Mike  

MDS posted:

Richard - as ever excellent insight.  Is the 250DR a generally less fussy beast while retaining the virtues of the previous amp. I say this in the knowledge of it being successfully matched with 272, 172, Superuniti and even DAC V1?

Regards,

Lindsay

Having had a demo of a 250DR in a system very similar to mine I'd say no, Lindsay.  The 250DR struck me as more refined, having a lower noise floor and tonally neutral. I didn't think it displayed the 250.2's characteristics at all.

Mike  

I agree: more neutral and more dynamic with greater control.

MDS posted:

Regards,

Lindsay

Mike  

I hope that's the case the because the experience I've had with a 250.2 was distinctly underwhelming and, frankly, dreadful.

I heard the 250DR and liked it together with the 282. It is refined and neutral to my ears. But as an upgrade for the 202/200 combo the 250DR is in comparison to the 282 the weaker part. If not together with 250DR I'd prefer the 282 or higher as some had writen here.