New Nova Owner's

Richard Dane posted:
ynwa250505 posted:
Richard Dane posted:

I think the 850 and 860 are close enough for the latter to be a safe substitute for the former.  AFAIK the main difference is that Samsung have extended the guaranteed TBW (Terrabytes written) . However, note that most SSDs have been found to hugely exceed their rated TBWs, so I wouldn't get too excited. Only thing I have been advised on SSDs is for best performance not to run them too full, so go for higher capacity than you think you want or need.

Hi Richard,

Can you confirm that this is the product you have suggested?

Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III 4TB Internal SSD (MZ-76E4T0B/AM)        

rgds         

I think that should be fine. 

Thanks Richard - much appreciated ...

Freedomsounds posted:

Called naim support yesterday & they ironed out my remote problems, so the nova is back to normal. Thanks.

Would like to know if anyone here has a REL sub  connected to a Nova ??? If so, I would like to know how you connected it to the nova ? If you can bypass the rca inputs on the nova and use the speakon cable. I noticed that Rel does make a higher end cable that has been modified for use with older naim amps that have clamps on the wired end that can be used. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. Support had very  little say on the matter.would love to get some feedback on this. Thanks

Freedomsounds,

What seems to be the problem with the remote? And did they tell you ( I assume) how to fix it.?

Fred

Fred, I don’t think I had a problem with the remote. It just was not parring. The one thing the tech told me that made the difference is that when parring use the battery end of the remote.  So, after you press down the home button on the remote getting ready to pare, put the battery end of the remote up to the face of the nova instead of the end where the power button is. And that should do it. It may take a few try’s or may happen on the first try. The tech said the reason this way is better, is because the sencer is at the battery end of the remote. Hope this helps ! 

The Core rips CDs, which are 16bit.  If you wish to rip 24bit files (these are usually only found on DAD, DVD-A, or Blu-Ray discs), or perhaps rip an HDCD encoded CD to take advantage of the 20bit encoding, then you'll need appropriate software loaded on your computer and a drive that can read such discs. Once ripped into files and put within a folder with metadata and album art, these can be added to the Core via external USB storage.

Had my first cover freeze on the Nova because of the Error flaw or flaws from a Core rip. The would not unfreeze after numerous try’s of trying to power the nova down, I had to disconnect the power cable. My guess is that Freezes have to do with a flawed discs ripped on the Core ?  

Freedomsounds posted:

Had my first cover freeze on the Nova because of the Error flaw or flaws from a Core rip. The would not unfreeze after numerous try’s of trying to power the nova down, I had to disconnect the power cable. My guess is that Freezes have to do with a flawed discs ripped on the Core ?  

if you want to power down the Nova, you have to put it into deep sleep by a long press of the standby button. Otherwise much of it is still powered up. Pulling the plug out is a way to completely start from scratch.

Cover art freezes are nothing to do with flawed discs ripped on the Core. If the disc has faults on it, the Core works around that and you might hear very short discontinuities in the sound or some other aural effect but it won't affect the cover art and the Nova will get that from the Core regardless of whether or not there are errors.

I suggest you report the problem using the feedback facility in the app. If it happens a lot then you could call Naim support to see what they suggest. But if it's just occasionally then I suggest wait for a firmware update to fix it.

inciddntally did you try changing input on the Nova to something other than the Core? If so did the artwork then go away? And then come back again when you switched the Nova back to the Core?

best

David

Add Reply

Likes (2)
BeajujuFreedomsounds